New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · D800E Interval shooting blues

GroovyGeek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800E Interval shooting blues

I have now had two interesting star trail photo ops ruined by glitches with interval shooting. In both cases I have set the interval to 33s, with exposure time of 30s at ISO3200. In both cases the camera stopped shooting after 20 mins or so. Unfortunately in both cases I had walked away from the tripod after sticking around for ~10 mins to ensure that the camera is happily clicking away. I had tested my settings at home and the camera successfully clicked through a few hundred frames. Any suggestions? I have been able to do this with a wired release locked in the "on" mode, but never with the D800's built in interval shooting.

Jan 02, 2017 at 06:06 AM
lsutigerfan
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800E Interval shooting blues

You think the card (CF or SD??) may be the culprit?

Fellow D800 San Diegan in the house!!

Jan 02, 2017 at 06:19 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800E Interval shooting blues

Hmmm... had not considered that possibility. In the latest instance (a few days ago) I switched out to an empty Lexar 1000x CF card right before the sequence. Don't remember which card it was the time before, but I can re-test with the potential culprit at home.

Jan 02, 2017 at 06:32 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800E Interval shooting blues

Just throwing an idea out: could it be related to long exposure noise reduction?

Jan 02, 2017 at 12:56 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800E Interval shooting blues

It was off, I never use it.

Mark_L wrote:
Just throwing an idea out: could it be related to long exposure noise reduction?

Jan 02, 2017 at 01:34 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800E Interval shooting blues

I have never had that issue on my D800E. But why would you put a 33 sec delay in your shooting? You lock in the remote and let it shoot continuously. If you want a 30 sec gap, when it comes to processing just grab every other image. The benefit of shooting continuously with no gaps when it comes to stars is that you gain more flexibility and more options for later. Because that way if you had decided back at home that star trails might have looked cool, you now have the images to stack and crate the star trails with.

Jim

Jan 02, 2017 at 02:44 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800E Interval shooting blues

In reality even when you lock the trigger there is a second or two gap between frames, you can see that at 100% mag. Some star trail software detects and corrects these gaps. They don't matter unless you are viewing at close to 100%. The normally recommended setting for interval shooting of star trails is 32s to accommodate the inherent delay. If you attempt 31s instead the routine fails when the cumulative delay exceeds some pre defined threshold, 32s works well in my home tests. After the first failure a few months ago I decided to only use a locked trigger but in this case I had forgotten the wired release at home and decided to give interval shooting a try.

PS interval shooting saves individual frames, just like a wired trigger.

JimFox wrote:
I have never had that issue on my D800E. But why would you put a 33 sec delay in your shooting? You lock in the remote and let it shoot continuously. If you want a 30 sec gap, when it comes to processing just grab every other image. The benefit of shooting continuously with no gaps when it comes to stars is that you gain more flexibility and more options for later. Because that way if you had decided back at home that star trails might have looked cool, you now have the images to stack and crate the star
...Show more

Jan 02, 2017 at 03:02 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800E Interval shooting blues

Double check when you are setting it up if you click to the right after you set the interval it will ask you the number of shots. What did you have that set at? Maybe you told it to stop after a certain number of shots......

Check your battery

Make sure mirror up delay mode is not on. I did that and it messed up my interval timer.

Brian

Jan 05, 2017 at 07:48 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800E Interval shooting blues

MUP=off
AF=off
Exposure delay=off
Frame count=360
Battery = 100%

Should have worked. But did not...

Jan 05, 2017 at 08:58 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.