New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Pet pillow

Chdwil
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pet pillow

My niece and her family dog resting after Christmas morning.

Jan 01, 2017 at 11:33 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pet pillow

Chdwil wrote:
My niece and her family dog resting after Christmas morning.

Kudos on getting down to floor level and taking this impressive photo.
Steve

Jan 01, 2017 at 11:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pet pillow

+1 @ the capture.

For processing, there a couple things that come to mind for me.

First, understanding the mood / tone of the image is one of calm / relaxed / etc. ... having a strong contrast tonality and uber-sharpening can be somewhat incongruous to the message you are trying to convey.

Second, While the dog is oof (which is fine), the slipper / pant leg is uber-sharp. In that regard, the amount of weighting / draw that is given to the slipper / pant leg might be reconsidered. Obviously the mass of the dog overpowers them, but I might look to tone them down more and ensure they are relegated to ancillary items.

In my mind (yours may vary), the order of significance is niece, dog ... everything else, get in line behind those two. While there isn't likely much that can be done regarding the oof of the dog (again, which is fine as it places emphasis @ niece), that kind of becomes your "pivot point" (limited adjustment) from which to make adjustments for any re-balancing the relationship of your components in the image.

Third, not quite sure if it is an optical transition, or a processing one (combination ) ... but the transition rate of oof from the dog's shoulder @ uber-detail to the dog's face @ oof seems unnaturally rapid. Some glass (certain Zeiss, Nikon, Tamron come to mind) has rapid transition zones (which you won't change), but if it is processing induced, that might be something to look at also.

That's not to take away from your image, ... but rather to suggest I think you can render it to better convey the mood / vibe of calm. As is, the emotive softness of the scene, and the softness of the subject matter (niece) is presented with (imo) a bit strong contrast processing (yet a few areas seem a touch muddy ) that just seems a bit unharmonious to the message. Nicely done, but might be just a tad much (blobal vs. selective). Caveat ... depending on what paper (i.e. softer) you print this on, your current processing might be an excellent match (even though that comes across on screen a bit differently). I can see this being a family heirloom in years to come.

I'm a detail junkie, so I can certainly appreciate the processing for that aspect, but I think it does at least warrant the question of whether or not you really want that much contrast ... or, at least consider which areas (i.e. selective vs. global) do you want it. That said, it does have a kind of retro film vibe. It's just a (subjective) matter of what you're trying to convey. Sometimes we get on "autopilot" with our processing in the ubiquitous quest for detail. (Self-admitted guilty as charged. ) Just some food for thought.

Again, don't lose sight of the "nice capture" aspect. My comments are in the spirit of possibly even "nicer".

Hope that makes a bit of sense and welcome to the PC Forum.

As always, S&P to taste ... and your desired message conveyance.

Jan 02, 2017 at 06:59 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pet pillow

Great image, Kent's critique is always sound. I have one more item which I didn't see until I scrolled over to see the right side where I found a leg and foot. I would crop that side off.

Jan 02, 2017 at 10:53 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pet pillow

I very much like this shot! Your composition captured a very strong presence of a very special holiday moment.

Not much to add beyond Kent's excellent critique other than maybe a slight CW rotation. Also agree with Ben on cropping out grandma's leg/foot. It's unfortunate to loose the other pup but that little guy is just too close to the edge and draws the viewer's eyes over and out of the frame.

Very nice image!

Dave

Jan 02, 2017 at 11:13 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pet pillow

One thing about really nice images ... they can really afford more latitude in approach than average ones can.

Case in point, rather than crop OUT the pup, shoe & pants leg ... a crop can be used to rebalance the image, so they now carry more weight and are more integral PART of the image, While not the original vision of the OP, the options abound, just depends on what / where you want to impart your significance of the components / relationships in the image.

Likely, the OP is the more elegant image with the young girl stretched out, but depending on the relationship with the dogs and the person whose leg we see, those could be drawn toward inclusion, vs. reduced. Always an option, but ... in the real world, I'm certain the OP will be absolutely wonderful just as is, too and the overly critical nits / tweaks will be totally ignored by those who are (rightfully) smitten by the familial ties of this elegant capture.

Jan 02, 2017 at 08:00 PM
Chdwil
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pet pillow

Thank you all for the feedback.

Jan 02, 2017 at 09:15 PM
Chdwil
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pet pillow

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ the capture.

For processing, there a couple things that come to mind for me.

First, understanding the mood / tone of the image is one of calm / relaxed / etc. ... having a strong contrast tonality and uber-sharpening can be somewhat incongruous to the message you are trying to convey.

Second, While the dog is oof (which is fine), the slipper / pant leg is uber-sharp. In that regard, the amount of weighting / draw that is given to the slipper / pant leg might be reconsidered. Obviously the mass of the dog overpowers them, but I might look to
...Show more

Thank you for taking the time to give this extensive feedback. It certainly is appreciated.

Jan 02, 2017 at 09:18 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pet pillow

RustyBug wrote:
One thing about really nice images ... they can really afford more latitude in approach than average ones can.

Case in point, rather than crop OUT the pup, shoe & pants leg ... a crop can be used to rebalance the image, so they now carry more weight and are more integral PART of the image, While not the original vision of the OP, the options abound, just depends on what / where you want to impart your significance of the components / relationships in the image.

Ok, now THAT is just crazy nice Kent. Wow!
I had not even considered that approach and your edit shows just how well that works. I completely get the new vibe that gives the shot. I need to remove my blinders me thinks.

As has been said, a great shot lends itself to many options.

^^^
This is why I enjoy the PC forum so much. Always so much to learn from those willing to share their knowledge and insight.

Dave

Jan 02, 2017 at 09:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pet pillow

Chdwil wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to give this extensive feedback. It certainly is appreciated.

You are most certainly welcome. When you bring a shot this nice to the forum, it can be hard to say anything without sounding super critical or unappreciative of the fine workmanship you brought ... so, I just want to re-iterate how nice your capture is, just hoping to add some food for thought in the event that it just might offer up something of usefulness for you ... which, of course is always your pic, your message, your call for your vision.

Jan 02, 2017 at 09:46 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pet pillow

I like Kent's crop, but I would crop tight but leave the turtle.

Jan 03, 2017 at 08:23 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pet pillow

If you're going to apply a substantial vignette, consider using selections to reduce the conceptual intrusion of the shoe/foot/leg by darkening and adding some blur, letting it join the negative space, exaggerated here to illustrate:

Jan 03, 2017 at 01:41 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pet pillow

I like what Kent did with the crop, but I *really* like what Karen (AuntiPode) did.

The inclusion of the gifts/tree really adds to the image and I also feel that the heavy vignetting substantially highlights the most important subject.

Well done, all.

Cheers!

Jeff

Jan 03, 2017 at 02:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pet pillow

RustyBug wrote
it does have a kind of retro film vibe.

My better half says it looks like something out of the 1940's.
Kind of a relaxed "glam" look, if that makes any sense.

RustyBug wrote:

the slipper / pant leg is uber-sharp. In that regard, the amount of weighting / draw that is given to the slipper / pant leg might be reconsidered. Obviously the mass of the dog overpowers them, but I might look to tone them down more and ensure they are relegated to ancillary items.

+1 @ Karen's (exaggerated for illustration) reduced draw toward exclusion.

Inclusion / exclusion options ... almost like doing the Hokey-Pokey.

"You put your right foot in, you take your right foot out ..."

Jan 03, 2017 at 09:07 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.