FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

pwschladen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

PayPal "phishing" email

I received the following this morning:

"Your account will be limited because we've noticed significant changes ln your account activity. As your payment processor, we need to understand these changes better.

This account Iimitation will affect your ability to:

Send or receive money
Withdraw money
Also, you won't be able to:

Remove any accounts
Remove credit cards
Close your account
What to do next

Please log in to your account and provide the requested information before January 2, 2017 through the Resolution Center. If we don't receive the information before this deadline or we notice additional significant changes in your account activity, your account access may be further limited"

This was followed by a link. As soon as I noticed it was sent to one of my email accounts that has never been associated with my PayPal accounted I realized it was fraudulent and forwarded the entire thing to [email protected]

I am posting this here because had it come in to the email address I do use for PayPal I might have been taken in - it doesn't strike me as having the usual weird syntax and unidiomatic use of English typical of these scams.

BEWARE!

Happy New Year

Patrick

Edited on Jan 03, 2017 at 01:20 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2017 at 08:14 AM
maf27
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

Hi Patrick,

I got the same email and reported it to [email protected] . For a moment, I did think it came from the real Paypal and downloaded the attachment. But, before I opened it up, better sense prevailed and I double checked the email address it came from.

Jan 01, 2017 at 03:30 PM
senzazn12
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

Thank you Patrick for letting us know.

Jan 01, 2017 at 03:48 PM
GRM
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

This is a 15 year old 'classic' PayPal phishing scam. I doubt people still fall for it.

Jan 01, 2017 at 04:18 PM
AvianScott
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

GRM wrote:
This is a 15 year old 'classic' PayPal phishing scam. I doubt people still fall for it.

If people didn't fall for it, the phishers wouldn't be sending out the e-mails.

Jan 01, 2017 at 04:28 PM
wizzard0003

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

Just an FYI: PayPal NEVER provides links to "your account" in any emails they send to you.
If there is a problem they would simply tell you to "go" to your account since, if you have an
account, you already know how to get there.

If you get a PayPal email that says in effect "Click here to go to your account" (or provides a
link to fix a problem) you can pretty much guaranty it's a fraud...

If in doubt always forward the email to [email protected] . If it's legit they will tell you so, if
not they will tell you that also...

Jan 01, 2017 at 05:31 PM
gstrong
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

Thanks for the heads up

Jan 01, 2017 at 06:07 PM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

wizzard0003 wrote:
Just an FYI: PayPal NEVER provides links to "your account" in any emails they send to you.
If there is a problem they would simply tell you to "go" to your account since, if you have an
account, you already know how to get there.

And they would certainly never send you an attachment with a form to fill out or a statement to read. No one would. There's a reason you have a way to log in and view your information and use the online support forms...so attachments don't have to be sent. Companies just don't do it. Never blindly open an attachment unless you requested it or know it's coming. To do otherwise just isn't smart.

Jan 01, 2017 at 06:15 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

GRM wrote:

There are unsuspecting users "born" everyday . Well, not born as given birth but born as "newly" exposed, of course.

Jan 01, 2017 at 06:18 PM
pwschladen
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

maf27 wrote:
Hi Patrick,

I got the same email and reported it to [email protected] . For a moment, I did think it came from the real Paypal and downloaded the attachment. But, before I opened it up, better sense prevailed and I double checked the email address it came from.

I never contemplated clicking on the link but for a moment I did wonder if I needed to log in to PayPal to fix some "issue".

The scammers only need a miniscule success rate as the marginal cost of sending out another 10,000 emails is practically zero.

When tired or unwell it is all to easy to make a mistake and this particular scam seemed a little more convincing than most.

Jan 01, 2017 at 07:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

bump

Jan 03, 2017 at 12:55 PM
pwschladen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · PayPal scam - "phishing" email received

Thanks Fred - now I know where I should have posted this in the first place!

Jan 03, 2017 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.