New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Fuji for backpacking?

ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji for backpacking?

I have shot pretty much every system over the past ~12 years. CaNikon mostly, but in recent years a lot of Sony mirrorless. Also M4/3, which I hate no matter how hard I try.
I'm getting back into backpacking, by way of fly fishing (tenkara), and just realized that the Fuji X system is probably the best setup for backpacking.

Mirrorless, so small/light relative to SLR.
Most of the newer cameras, and even the XE2 with newest FW, have fast AF, right?
Several options for a sealed camera/lens, right?
Sensors with nice color and at least good enough in low light, from what I've seen.

How is the battery life, compared to a similar Sony, like the A6K?
I'm currently shooting a EOS M, so any improvement in AF speed will be welcome haha.
May upgrade with tax return.
Would be looking for ideally a 35 or 50mm equivalent and then prob scoop a Rokinon 12/2.
How relevant is the XE2 in 2017? They are dirt cheap now.
XT10 has always been very interesting to me.

I think I might need to rent something.

Dec 31, 2016 at 08:01 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji for backpacking?

I backpack with my Fuji and a couple lenses. Works great. If you're one of those shooters that takes 300 frames an hour, then load up on batteries. I used two over three days.

Dec 31, 2016 at 08:18 PM
dnuggett

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji for backpacking?

Any of the X series will use all XF/C lenses. Doesn't matter much which you choose XT, XPro, XE... just go shoot! If you go the XT2 route I can highly recommend the battery grip.

Dec 31, 2016 at 08:27 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji for backpacking?

I had an X100 a couple years back and liked the lens and the files, but wasn't in love with the camera.
I'm on a limited budget so while I would like the XT2 or XP2 for the better video capability, I'm more likely leaning towards XE2(S?), XT10, XT1, or possibly a dirt-cheap XPro1.
I'll probably be happy with the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm and a small standard prime.
I am used to terrible mirrorless battery life lol, so if they are anything like Sony 2-3 batteries would probably work for me.

Dec 31, 2016 at 09:33 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji for backpacking?

I believe Fuji will be announcing the X-T20 in January. Not sure if it will be within your budget.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:22 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji for backpacking?

I have just bought a lightly used XT1, they are cheap due to the introduction of the XT2 and people upgrading. It's weather sealed, big EVF etc.
Only using mf legacy nikkor glass at the moment so can't help re: AF or AF lenses.
Waiting for the vertical grip to arrive, already bought a 2nd battery for that but will add 2 more when funds permit as I plan on doing a lot of long exposures ie landscapes with light painting at night and long exposures during the day with a 10 stop ND. The nominal battery life is supposed to be around 300 shots but I'm using more juice as I get used to the Fuji system having shot Nikon before.

Andy

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:25 PM
Familiarity
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji for backpacking?

I use both Fuji and Nikon (FF and APS-C). I bought into Fuji earlier this year just for travel and they have served me well. Much lighter, noticeably smaller.

They have lots of weather resistant lenses now. I picked up their WR and OIS capable 18-135mm as a travel lens, with the intention of marrying it to an X-T2 when I can afford it. Currently using an X-T10 and X-E2, neither of which are WR.

As for AF, for landscape and things that don't move fast, the X-T1/X-T10/X-E2 (all the same sensor and processor) are just fine. In fact, for critical focus on still objects, the EVF's ability to magnify can ensure an easy perfectly focused shot.

However, I have shot family events with kids and young adult soccer with the X-T10/X-E2. And as good as I feel they are, I will always reach for my Nikon gear in those situations because they are simply and unquestionably faster than the Fujis.

I don't have an X-T2 yet, and reports suggest that it's *really* fast with AF, so my opinion may change when that gets here.

But what sort of AF performance would you need when backpacking? I'm thinking most modern cameras would be good enough.

Re: relevancy. The X-E2 and X-T10 are still completely relevant.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:45 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji for backpacking?

Your opinion will probably change with an X-T2. I've shot my kids on scooters coming right at me at top speed and have gotten mostly keepers. No need for a DSLR for photographing my kids in action any more.

For the OP, I'd imagine any of the cameras you list should be fine for backpacking. An X-E2 will not be as fast focusing as an X-T2, but assuming you're mostly shooting nature and landscapes, or perhaps people who aren't moving erratically, it will be fine. I'd personally lean more toward an X-T1 for your use case for the weather sealing. Might be useful, particularly if you get the 23/2 or 35/2 lenses. There's not a huge practical difference between the X-T10 and X-E2 other than size and some control differences.

Jan 01, 2017 at 12:36 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji for backpacking?

All, Thank you for your tons of info and thoughts!

In the past 18 months I've shifted a lot of my attention from photography and to backpacking and fishing. I started off that time period with an A7, and am currently using the little old EOS M. The M is actually pretty good, as the 22/2 is tiny and great. I basically don't shoot any action at all, except for my 4yo son from time to time, which I can even pull off with the slow little canon if i'm careful.

I would like an EVF, a little better low light, and better external/manual controls. The A6000 (and newer models) would give me this, but I never liked the Sony controls or menus.

Here is an example of the kind of stuff I shoot, if it helps.

Fishing at Sipsey Fork by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

IMG_3099 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

2016-10-24_09-45-52 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

IMG_2932 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

IMG_2545 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

Cohutta Wilderness by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

XE2 is sounding pretty good. XT10 is the traditional finder position which takes up more space, and I've found I greatly prefer the RF style layout. XT1 and its sealing sounds awesome, but it's even bigger still and i think more than twice the price of the XE2.

Jan 01, 2017 at 01:12 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji for backpacking?

wohoooo, forum is fixed!

From XE1 to XE2, how much of a performance jump are we talking? XE1 are so cheap!

Jan 01, 2017 at 02:03 PM
Familiarity
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji for backpacking?

Re: X-E1 and X-E2. I have both. There is a significant performance jump in the speed of AF.

I originally bought the X-E1 to be the backup camera for my X-T10. But I got the X-E2 because the generational gap in AF speed was too large. (If I was using the X-T10 lots then the change to an X-E1 was too jarring an experience.)

I've kept the X-E1 for now (because I'm a gear-head). By itself, it's still a great camera.

Some people prefer its Bayer sensor and color and skin rendition over that of its newer brothers. It's 16 MP also.

Currently, I've got a Nikon-to-Fuji adapter glued on my X-E1 and am using its magnifying EVF feature to play with old manual focus lenses. AF Speed here is thus not an issue, I can nail focus and I can still take advantage of its outstanding sensor.

If this was to be your only camera, I'd suggest stretching for the X-E2. It would remain relevant longer.

But looking at your pics, every one of them could have been taken easily with an X-E1.

Jan 01, 2017 at 04:57 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji for backpacking?

Thank you, Familiarity. That is kinda what I'm thinking, re: could have shot above with the older X-E1. Most of those are EOS M which is probably the slowest digital camera i've ever owned haha.
I would like the WiFi of the X-E2 though, esp for geotagging, love that.
Are they similar performers at higher ISO?

With focus speed not really mattering that much- 35/1.4 or f2? Not that big of a size/weight difference, or cost either at this point right?

Jan 01, 2017 at 08:11 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji for backpacking?

If I were considering a Fuji for backpacking, my first thought would be the X100T. No lenses to change, no possibility for sensor dust, no extra gear to bring (except batteries, which are smaller, by the way).

Jan 01, 2017 at 11:56 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji for backpacking?

Steve Wylie wrote:
If I were considering a Fuji for backpacking, my first thought would be the X100T. No lenses to change, no possibility for sensor dust, no extra gear to bring (except batteries, which are smaller, by the way).

Steve, those are excellent points. I keep coming back to X100S/T. I had the first gen and just didn't click with it very well. I love shooting 35mm/35 equivalent, so I know I'm fine with the X100's fantastic lens, but I would really like to be able to shoot wider at times- hence the Samyang 12mm. I don't know. I would prob do very well with the X100S or T with how I'm shooting these days. I will look into them more.

Jan 02, 2017 at 12:05 AM
Familiarity
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji for backpacking?

ISO1600 wrote:
Thank you, Familiarity. That is kinda what I'm thinking, re: could have shot above with the older X-E1. Most of those are EOS M which is probably the slowest digital camera i've ever owned haha.
I would like the WiFi of the X-E2 though, esp for geotagging, love that.
Are they similar performers at higher ISO?

With focus speed not really mattering that much- 35/1.4 or f2? Not that big of a size/weight difference, or cost either at this point right?

I'm sorry but I don't delve that deep into the peeping. I have read some X-E1 fans suggesting that at high ISO, they prefer the X-E1 over the X-E2 (and other of the X-Trans II family). But that's hearsay.

I have a few of the Fujinon zooms but none of the primes and so I can't comment on the two 35mm lenses. People have been raving about the focus speed of the f/2 lens, especially since the f/1.4 hunted a lot. Part of me wants to snag a 1.4 when I eventually get the X-T2 since I've heard that the X-T2 improves AF speed for all the lenses.

When you talk 'high ISO" shots, I might worry about the EVF of the earlier gen Fujis. The X-E1's EVF lags in low light. That's one of the "performance" differences between it and the X-E2; the new camera being definitely more responsive in this possibly critical area.

Jan 02, 2017 at 01:49 AM
Familiarity
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji for backpacking?

ISO1600 wrote:
Steve, those are excellent points. I keep coming back to X100S/T. I had the first gen and just didn't click with it very well. I love shooting 35mm/35 equivalent, so I know I'm fine with the X100's fantastic lens, but I would really like to be able to shoot wider at times- hence the Samyang 12mm. I don't know. I would prob do very well with the X100S or T with how I'm shooting these days. I will look into them more.

I'm not a backpacker but I used to enjoy hiking before some knee problems surfaced. Myself, I would find a fixed focal length camera limiting because of the wide range of shooting scenarios one could encounter out in the wilderness.

There would definitely times, I suspect, where you'd miss the reach. Happily, the X100 series has a fairly close minimum focus distance, which mitigates problems at the close end.

I also have a first gen X100 and I think I would not bring it on a hike, preferring either my Sony RX100 Mark III with it's 24-70mm (effective 35mm focal length) zoom (for an even smaller size)--OR the X-E2 with 2 lenses: XF 10-24mm and the featherweight XC 50-230mm, giving a tremendous range of focal lengths at a fairly light weight.

Slightly related, I did bring the X100 as my primary camera on a road trip in the summer. It was a family road trip where I didn't want the focus to be photography because I didn't want to subject everyone to me fiddling with my gear at every picture opportunity (yes, that happens a lot...).

Because I knew what I was getting into (i.e., fixed focal length), I was happy with the results. I accepted that I wouldn't get some kinds of shots.

Jan 02, 2017 at 02:03 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji for backpacking?

Familiarity wrote:
I've kept the X-E1 for now (because I'm a gear-head). By itself, it's still a great camera.

Some people prefer its Bayer sensor and color and skin rendition over that of its newer brothers. It's 16 MP also.

Quick correction: The X-E1 uses an X-Trans CFA, like all the X-Trans variants. Only the X-A(x) line uses a sensor with Bayer CFA.

At high ISO (1600+), particularly jpgs but also RAW, the XE-2 and other gen2 X Trans cameras produced a waxy looking output that the X-E1 and others didn't-- this was primarily visible in faces/skin tones. Most blamed it one an overly aggressive noise-/demosaic algorithm. I've experienced it myself; I preferred the X-E1 for this reason.

But if I were buying a 16mp XT camera now, I'd probably go for and X-E2 and update it with the 's' firmware-- if only for the AF. Of course, at this point I'd personally go for an X-A3 (Bayer, but horrible shooting/handling, for me) or wait for an X-E3 w/ the newer sensor.

A small, 2 or 3-lens setup could be great: Rok 12, 23mm f./2, something a little more portrait-ish (don't discount the 60 macro for this role).

But if you can live with only 35mm, I'd suggest a used RX1. Smaller, far higher IQ (lens + sensor), perfect for backpacking. Consider not needing an EVF!

Jan 02, 2017 at 04:13 AM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji for backpacking?

X-E2 is/was one of my favorite Fuji cameras, small, light and RF body style.
Sold it to fund the X-T2 but will jump back in a heart beat to the X-E3 once Fuji announces it.
You can get around 300 shots with it and focus is good, not the fastest but gets the shot in low light.

This was taken with the X-E2 on Summer 2016
DSCF1314 by Earl Dieta, on Flickr
DSCF1415 by Earl Dieta, on Flickr

Jan 02, 2017 at 12:02 PM
Seth Lord
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji for backpacking?

>> I keep coming back to X100S/T. <<

ISO1600: I can recommend the X100s (and of course the T). I've taken the X100s on the Camino Frances, the Chemin Le Puy, the Pennine Way, and the Camino del Norte. It was always around my neck on the standard Fuji strap and encased in the standard Fuji leather (?) case. So you are ready for anything - no time wasted hauling the thing out of a backpack or other bag. And the 35mm FOV covers a lot.
I wore it like this in hail, rain, and snow (truly) and it didn't miss a beat - over 3,000km in all. No hood, Just a B+W filter, the best quality one (forget the name). Even fell in a creek trying to balance on a rock in the middle of the stream while taking a shot; like a slow motion horror movie the X100s at the end of my hand went down with me, it disappeared below the surface of the water and I spun to bring it back up as the rest of me was submerged (wasn't deep or fast). But the entire camera, with its case flap open, was under the water for a second. Dried it off. Sat on the bank with it in the sun after opening all the flaps and doors on the body and removing the SD card and battery. Couple of hours later it was good to go. No problems since.
try it.

Jan 04, 2017 at 04:56 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji for backpacking?

Haha Seth, you are rough on your gear. I try to keep my stuff out of the rain unless it's a 1-series or equivalent.
I think I am settled on a XE1, if nothing else it's a really cheap way to get my foot into the system.
I've got two different cameras lined up that i'm trying to decide between.

Jan 04, 2017 at 09:05 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.