FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Michele Portrait

Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Michele Portrait

Familiarity wrote:
Glowhunter seems to have pretty much fixed the hot spots so it looks possible. He probably used an adjustment brush on those spots whereas you, Luvwine, might still be using global adjustments.

It's still a perfect expression and great capture. Outstanding in fact because it was just a quickie informal portrait.

Re: hair color, if Glowhunter is referring to the brown spots, a lot of Asian young ladies streak their hair brown and to my eyes, Luvwine's WB is more accurate in this regard.

I do want to specifically thank Glowhunter for his insistence that the WB was off in the originals.
...Show more

Glowhunter's version is better corrected than what I did. I did do some burning in PS on the hot spots, but also neglected to lighten the shadow area on the forehead on our right, her left, which Glowhunter has helped. I think the shirt in Glowhunter's version is a bit too bright red from my memory of it as well, but I respect his version of it and am grateful for the tutorial. If there is a recommended way to calm down the hot spots, I would love to know it. Perhaps I need to read up on techniques for this, doubtless involving layers. I did learn some skin smoothing techniques that way long ago. I think Glowhunter smoothed the skin a bit too. Thx again for all the comments and help!

Jan 01, 2017 at 05:55 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Michele Portrait

Luvwine wrote:
That would require me having g a reflector. Lol. I am also on vacation hence no access to much that would help.

Nothing fancy required here, I just use a piece of white foam core. Works great for these type natural light portraits. Anything handy that's white would serve. This is good work, keep it up.

Jan 01, 2017 at 07:48 PM
Disaster
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Michele Portrait

Great expressions and perfect focus. The hot spots are a problem. Highlights on nose seem to be blown past recovery. What numbers are you getting from RAW eye dropper in that area?

Using the eye as a white point is a good starting point but not an absolute. Eyes can lean a little yellow and red so zeroing them to white can be too far. Teeth are worse for white balance. It is usually best to check the skin directly.

https://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/balancing-skin-tone-and-creating-skin-tone-references--cms-22231

https://www.summitprintingpro.com/graphic-design/tutorials/skin-tone-correction.html

Of course the best technique is to use a grey card and set a custom white balance for the shooting session, but that isn't always practical for moving shots.

Jan 08, 2017 at 07:56 AM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.