New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Last image post of the year

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Last image post of the year

Same scene as posted before, but this is a careful rework based on lots of input, including my wife who wanted some foreground, myself who wanted all the sky, Kent who wanted WB adjusted per specific areas, and my own vision for strong color.

This is a 2 image pano using 24mm vertical.

Critique away.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:57 PM
pallkris

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Last image post of the year

I don't know the first photo, but this one looks AWESOME!

Dec 31, 2016 at 01:14 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Last image post of the year

Thanks pallkris, much appreciated.

Here is the post that show the progression to this rendering.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1466398

Dec 31, 2016 at 01:27 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Last image post of the year

Super nice job Ben! I'm really happy to see you went with this one. I think you did a fantastic job working through this with Kent and look at the wall hanger to ended up with! Colors look rich and natural and not over done at all. Mountains have a nice warmth to them and the sky is just gorgeous.

I hope you had a tough shirt on during this one. You had the wife yanking you one way, GD's pulling you another, Kent and the rest of us basket cases yanking you yet a few other directions and you still came out standing!

Dave

Dec 31, 2016 at 02:09 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Last image post of the year

Thanks Dave. I don't expect all to agree with my choices here, it's hard to figure out which are choices and which are mistakes.

After working this many times including all the other panos, I was starting to get an idea about the colors. I started with a fair WB and then isolated the mountains and neutralized the whites and then worked the clouds one way, the foreground another, the right sky yet another and tried to keep the neon look out of the water.

The ultra white snow did not look right, I see this part of the mountain every night from my house and it is generally a bit pink at this time. So I added some overall warmth to the image and pulled back red on the grasses to get back to brown.

I think this is what it looked like, but with less clarity. We have a haze problem in winter but I did nto want it in my image.

Dec 31, 2016 at 02:44 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Last image post of the year

Magnificent!
Scott

Jan 01, 2017 at 03:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Last image post of the year

sbeme wrote:
Magnificent!
Scott

Why gosh Scott, I was not expecting that. But thank's a lot.

Jan 01, 2017 at 04:02 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Last image post of the year

Aaah ... the initial vision, solicitation for collective review, scrutiny and input combined with the ultimate decision making of the creator to represent his vision of what it is he wants to convey to the world.

Even with all the tugging, pulling and yanking in the middle of the process ... it always remains your pic, your message, your call.
Kudo's to both the pic and the process of getting your piece to where you want it.

lighthound wrote:

and you still came out standing!

Some might say "outstanding".

Edited on Jan 01, 2017 at 04:18 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2017 at 04:14 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Last image post of the year

RustyBug wrote:
Aaah ... the initial vision, solicitation for collective review, scrutiny and input combined with the ultimate decision making of the creator to represent his vision of what it is he wants to convey to the world.

Even with all the tugging, pulling and yanking in the middle of the process ... it always remains your pic, your message, your call.
Kudo's to both the pic and the process of getting your piece to where you want it.

Thanks Kent, and I used your suggestions a lot as well, especially with regard to area WB. Selecting was difficult as well as deciding what was right.

Happy new year to you.

Jan 01, 2017 at 04:17 PM
Familiarity
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Last image post of the year

Very nice, Ben.

May I make 1 suggestion? On the right, just above the mountains, there is a white patch in the sky. Would you consider recreating a similar shaped lighter patch in the reflection below? I see the mountains sort of reflected. And thus my brain wants to see the white patch in the reflection too.

Jan 01, 2017 at 04:20 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Last image post of the year

Ben, I was particularly pleased by your comment that the "ultra white" did not look right. +1 @ selecting & deciding isn't the easiest task, but ... I think it pays dividends, when warranted.

While I'm a long advocate of determining a neutralizing WB, that doesn't mean that we always want a neutral rendering. But, I find that if I do determine what the neutral WB is, I can mitigate unwanted casts ... THEN (as you did) put the desired flavor of rendering back in (i.e. without the offensive casts / shifts) to present what it is I want to show the world.

Kudos again to you for knowing what you wanted to convey ... and working through to mitigate the detractors that had (initially) come along for the ride. Kinda reminds me of that insurance commercial about "rate suckers". For me, unwanted casts are "color suckers", that steal from our wanted hues and contrasts. Imo, if we first determine a neutralizing WB to lose those unwanted "color suckers", then we are much more freely liberated to land our images where we want them to go ... warm, cool, neutral or wherever.

Again ... kudos.

Jan 01, 2017 at 04:25 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Last image post of the year

Great way to end the year Ben!

Steve

Jan 01, 2017 at 04:42 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Last image post of the year

Familiarity wrote:
Very nice, Ben.

May I make 1 suggestion? On the right, just above the mountains, there is a white patch in the sky. Would you consider recreating a similar shaped lighter patch in the reflection below? I see the mountains sort of reflected. And thus my brain wants to see the white patch in the reflection too.

Thanks for mentioning this. I too wondered why all the sky and reflections don't always match. The true answer is that the reflections would fall outside the ICE top of the lake.

I went back and looked at the raws and don't see a white area either. I believe the mountains are a direct reflection in front and the sky is overhead and the red part represents the upper red area and the light area is blocked by the mountains.

Jan 01, 2017 at 04:44 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Last image post of the year

Gorgeous, Ben!

Shame that damn road had to be there.

Jeff

Jan 03, 2017 at 09:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Last image post of the year

Thanks Jeff. Yep, I am looking at another place that is closer to the water and may not have a road. Hard to tell until I get there. I think I will need snow shoes. But that snow has also ruined the reflective properties of the ice.

Jan 03, 2017 at 10:21 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.