New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Problem aiming (aligning) the Better Beamer

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Problem aiming (aligning) the Better Beamer

Does anyone have a suggestion/trick on how to assure the BB hits the distant target with the burst of light from its fresnel screen?

This one is off enough that birds are not getting illuminated, even at under 30 feet distance.

Thanks

Robert King
https://itsaboutnature.smugmug.com

Dec 31, 2016 at 09:11 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Problem aiming (aligning) the Better Beamer

You may want to PM Morris who if often on the Nature board, if he does not chime in here. He uses a BB often with good results.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:11 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Problem aiming (aligning) the Better Beamer

bs kite wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion/trick on how to assure the BB hits the distant target with the burst of light from its fresnel screen?

This one is off enough that birds are not getting illuminated, even at under 30 feet distance.

Thanks

Robert King

Hi Robert,

There is a double highlight in the eye of the morganza so your flash hit target. Was your problem underexposure?

My usual approach to fill flash with our without the Better Beamer is to use manual exposure for the ambient exposure and auto exposure for the flash which is set for TTL-BL. This requires the camera to be set for matrix metering.

I hope this helps

Morris

Dec 31, 2016 at 05:48 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Problem aiming (aligning) the Better Beamer

Thank you Morris. And thank you too dgdg. Took your advice and sent Morris a PM about an hour ago.

I will check that Matrix metering. Had not considered that. Pretty sure I am on spot metering.

Dec 31, 2016 at 07:10 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Problem aiming (aligning) the Better Beamer

What camera body did you use?

Dec 31, 2016 at 07:12 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Problem aiming (aligning) the Better Beamer

dgdg wrote:
You may want to PM Morris who if often on the Nature board, if he does not chime in here. He uses a BB often with good results.

______

+1. Or repost this in the Wildlife forum where he is actively involved.
Ooops, Morris has already responded to this thread. So OK.

Jan 02, 2017 at 06:24 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Problem aiming (aligning) the Better Beamer

I have found that with my SB-800s, the BB flash beam tends to hit just a tad under (maybe 2-3 inches) the target with small birds at aproximately 20 - 30 feet. It seems that the weight of the BB is just enough to make the flash head sag a little or point down a little bit.

My solution is to use a shim. I fold a piece of paper or use a small piece of cardboard which I stick under the flash head at the hinge to keep it from sagging. Free, effective and fixes the issue.

Regards,
Fred

Jan 04, 2017 at 09:38 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Problem aiming (aligning) the Better Beamer

Thank you Fred. This sounds like practical advice.

I am going to be paying closer attention to this from now on. There is some degree of inconsistency in mine too. On an overcast day last week it was not illuminating the birds with consistency; i.e. it would illuminate some and some it missed completely. I'll figure it out and probably come up with some shim as well.

and good light to you too....
Robert

Jan 04, 2017 at 04:43 PM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Problem aiming (aligning) the Better Beamer

frdjohns wrote:
I have found that with my SB-800s, the BB flash beam tends to hit just a tad under (maybe 2-3 inches) the target with small birds at aproximately 20 - 30 feet. It seems that the weight of the BB is just enough to make the flash head sag a little or point down a little bit.

My solution is to use a shim. I fold a piece of paper or use a small piece of cardboard which I stick under the flash head at the hinge to keep it from sagging. Free, effective and fixes the issue.

Regards,
Fred

exactly what i do.

Jan 06, 2017 at 08:07 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Problem aiming (aligning) the Better Beamer

bs kite wrote:

Thanks

Robert King

Your flash bracket system should allow ± angle of elevation control. Fresnel systems tend to sag a bit, which can be a problem if excessive. More often than not, I use a slight downward angle. I prefer the Wimberley modular system for versatility and control, but there are others as well.

EBH

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.