Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Hey Nikon, pay attention.

imjimha

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Hey Nikon, pay attention.

AF-S DX Nikkor 45-135mm f2.8E ED VR He then? Genius.

morris wrote:
They just have to put a bit better seals on the lenses and fill them with Helium

Morris

Dec 31, 2016 at 08:48 PM
ariot
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Hey Nikon, pay attention.

Nikon has demonstrated, for quite a long time, they are not interested in making a deep set of DX prime lenses.

Dec 31, 2016 at 09:55 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Hey Nikon, pay attention.

ariot wrote:
Nikon has demonstrated, for quite a long time, they are not interested in making a deep set of DX prime lenses.

I think they are due for a couple more 18-* lenses. Maybe an 18-175 and an 18-90 just to throw out a couple of possibles.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:18 PM
glowhunter
• •
[X]
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Hey Nikon, pay attention.

imjimha wrote:
The D500 is a realllly nice camera. How about some more of those realllly nice, fast (<=f/2.8) optics you make for the FX bodies, but with the DX stamp? Of course you'll make them with the same size (less so) and weight (more so) advantages of other DX lenses. Is an AF-S DX Nikkor 45-135mm f2.8E ED VR weighing less than 32 oz impossible? I'll gladly stick the 300 f/4 PF on my D500, but can I have more portable but versatile lenses with speed please?

I'll stick with Sigma's aps-c offerings. Just as good (or better) for 1/2 the price.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:48 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Hey Nikon, pay attention.

Fast DX lenses aren't really that small/light...other than the primes. Zooms are still fairly big. So it would make no sense really to do the R&D to make lenses for a format that is mostly used by people who buy an entry level DSLR and keep the kit lens or maybe a 50mm 1.8. There's probably way more D3XXX and D5XXX using soccer moms out there than advanced hobbyists and professionals using D7XXX and D500's, and those latter users are likely already using the FX super-tele's.

Besides, there's really no big loss as far as holes to fill in the lineup other than ultra wide (although I vaguely remember them coming out with some wide DX zooms a couple years ago). 24-70 is ~36-105mm...which is totally usable. As is 21-36 (14-24), and 105-300mm (70-200). Unless you absolutely need wider than 21 (in which case you have plenty of 3rd party options) you should be fine as is. You just have to adjust your lens selection to fit the task at hand. Depends on your style of shooting, but when I was shooting crop I loved 24-70 as 35 is typically the widest I shoot, and 105 is my sweet spot for head/shoulders portraits. On FF it's rather blah for me. YMMV though.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:54 PM
EricJrSax

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Hey Nikon, pay attention.

I'm confused. Why do they even make DX lenses anyway?

Jan 01, 2017 at 10:23 PM
Planet999

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Hey Nikon, pay attention.

EricJrSax wrote:
I'm confused. Why do they even make DX lenses anyway?

A lot of people like the lower price point and the lower weight and smaller size.

Jan 02, 2017 at 12:40 AM
imjimha

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Hey Nikon, pay attention.

I think the D500 is a decent travel-sized DSLR, especially compared to it's FX sibling. I know it isn't "mirrorless" travel-sized, but every mirrorless I've picked up (admittedly only a few), have been on the clunky side. Sony in particular, with its exceptional lenses, has a long way to go on the user interface. Nikon doesn't. It has handling down. With the D5/500, it seems to have autofocus down.
I appreciate that there are some exceptional third-party DX lenses, and that Nikon has produced a few as well. Using FX lenses for the “sweet spot” is an option, but it costs you the weight of the superfluous glass. I've looked at a couple of the better DX/FX Nikon lenses with comparable focal length and speed, the DX versions were about 60% lighter. If you are traveling or carrying your gear for any significant length of time, every ounce counts. And I think it is a mistake to assume that all soccer moms with a D3xxx and want more pop in their soccer shots wouldn’t consider a lighter, fast lens to get it. Though I doubt it would, but if the DX and FX lines cannibalize each other…I’m not getting rid of my 300 PF anytime soon…that's a good thing for Nikon. Just ask Apple.
And speaking of mirrorless. What if one of their future mirrorless camera models used the lighter DX lens format? Assuming the camera is anywhere near an acceptable performer, imagine how many units Nikon would sell. They would do so without sinking R&D costs, and the risk, of yet another new lens lineup.
Clearly I’m not a camera or lens designer, just someone with an idea for Nikon. I like most of their products and I’ll pay for the better ones that suit my needs. I think they can do (and does) pretty much whatever they want when it comes to designing camera systems. I just wish they would build on whats working for them.
My suggestion for Nikon is to produce a more complete premium DX lens lineup with lower weight benefits. (I guess it is the nature of things to argue a point, and there are certainly valid ones on this thread, but I don’t see how can it be a bad thing for anyone who owns, or is considering owning, any DX camera to have more lens options.)

Jan 02, 2017 at 01:59 PM
SethD
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Hey Nikon, pay attention.

So far as I'm concerned, Nikon's 1.8 series pretty much fills the bill for reasonably fast, reasonably lightweight, high IQ primes. I bought them for my D810 and they fit my D500 just fine.

Jan 05, 2017 at 09:25 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.