New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

skid00skid00
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

15Bit wrote:
And as this thread shows, building your own can sometimes not be as easy as you think. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a natural tinkerer and who doesn't have readily available (competent) support available to help out in the event of problems.

Anyone who's done engine work, or assembled some electronics, or done decent woodworking, or maintains a cycle/car, will have the drive and intelligence to build a PC. It is not at all difficult. If you stick with mainstream pieces, windows will have the drivers to support it. You learn what you need to know to pick out the proper CPU, video card, and motherboard to support your apps, and you budget, add RAM and SSD's that fit the budget, and use an online power calculator to pick out a mainstream power supply. I've built three PC's in the last 10 years, and have had no issues *at all* with any of them. Overclocking RAM is another thing...

If you are lazy or lacking confidence, you spend just as much time on forums and talking to friends (and getting bad answers), and spend more for less. (There's the third group, who from physical and/or mental disabilities, isn't capable. I don't direct my comments at them.)

I believe that the cheaper Dells/HPs/Lenovos/etc are good enough for almost everyone. Those of us cursed with needing to know it all (heh), and get the best we can, will take the time to research and build. It's a highly satisfying hobby. For those who used to recurve distributors or rejet carbs, it's a useful replacement.

Jan 01, 2017 at 08:11 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

I think you pretty much repeated what i said, but in more words

I've built more than 3 PC's in the last 10 years. 5 or 6 probably, and probably 15-20 of them before that.

Unlike you i have not been blessed with fault free hardware. My last build, a dual Xeon, had a faulty motherboard. But the fault didn't stop it from working perfectly as a PC - the remote management chip was faulty. So it worked fine, but had no fan speed control and no network presence for the remotely connecting to the system management bios. The build before that had the peculiar problem that it would suspend, but wouldn't wake again without a power cycle. That was a subtly failing PSU. Before that i have had new builds with bad memory modules, one other bad motherboard, bad hard disks, and more than one bad install CD. Then there are the parts which have failed during service: more hard disks than i can remember, a graphics card, a memory module or two, plenty of fans. Diagnosis was all on me, and in most cases some spares were needed for testing and verification.

I entirely agree about it being a satisfying hobby, but only for those of us who want it to be. For everyone else a pre-built is a good way to go.

Jan 01, 2017 at 08:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

The peak of my PC-building days was the 386SX.

Jan 01, 2017 at 09:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

I went over to my nephews house yesterday at 13:30 went through the build and install and I was back home by 17:00. that included the drive over back to my house because he neglected to get a fan for the CPU which I had. back again then, work/teach home. i'm about 25minutes away. rough real build to boot time along with teaching him during the process was just a bit over 2 hours. it is so easy these days. his new MB supports (2) M.2 drives. quite good and relatively cheap.

Edited on Jan 01, 2017 at 10:54 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2017 at 10:45 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

jcolwell wrote:
The peak of my PC-building days was the 386SX.

Then you are officially "old"

In fairness, my "peak building days" were the days of Pentium 2 / Pentium 3. I put together a lot of original Pentiums (both single and dual socket), Pentium Pro's, PII's and PIII's (single and dual socket) and one or two Athlons too. I had a very steady turnover of hardware in those days, and never seemed to own less than 2 computers.

Funnily enough i got an email a month back from an old friend asking if I minded if he re-purposed an old dual Pentium Pro i "lent" him 15 years ago or something. I assumed it had been trashed years ago, but apparently they use it to run old instrumentation at his work....

Jan 01, 2017 at 10:46 PM
wcj0
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

i've built countless pc's over the past 20+ years and all pc's were for performance. I have to say that building a pc today is no where as complicated today as it was back then when you had to know what IO's you had to assign to a component and what memory channels you had to assign to it. Today their essentially plug and play parts. Assemble the motherboard and components to it, install the drivers from the manufacturers disc's and for the most part you're on your way. I don't let windows install anything other than important updates. I don't let windows install any driver updates that it feels necessary and if i do have driver issues causing a component to not operate properly, i go to the manufacturers website and download the updated drivers. If there are NO PROBLEMS, i don't look for them. Does this mean that there can't be any problems, of course not. However as explained earlier, for the most part there may be a driver conflict or missing driver. Over the course of time most of the issues revolve around failing power supplies or failing hard drives. Very few failing motherboards, video cards etc. That's not to say that it can't happen. It takes patience when building a computer and running into problems can be hair raising to say the least, but as was posted earlier, unplug all non essential components and go from there. Unplug everything other than ram, video card ( if not using the mother boards on board video) and cpu and see if you can get into the bios. If you can and it seems to work properly, Start by then plugging in the the operating systems hard drive ( C ). If it boots into the operating system or allows you to install the operating system, then plug in all of the other accessories and see what stops you. If nothing, then you're on your way. If the system fails somewhere down the road, trouble shoot it from the beginning including unplugging everything that is no essential to make it post into bios and work from there. As i said earlier, i have found over the years, power supplies and hard drives to be the biggest failure items. No video? usually graphics card or mother board, but mostly cable going to monitor. Good luck.

Jan 09, 2017 at 04:48 PM
Zerga
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

I think graphics card driver was the problem. I just had windows automatically find and install the driver after I put new card.. I reinstalled the windows and everything back to normal. I this uninstalling old drivers and installing new ones would probably do the job..

Jan 09, 2017 at 06:09 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

It is a computer. You are fooling yourself to think it will work right without problems.

Jan 15, 2017 at 06:04 PM
Tony Rogers
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

I first built my own PCs in the days of the 486 DX. I've built 20 or 30 PCs, I think, but I slowed down in the Core generations.

Last one was 3 years ago - all I've done to it since is replace a 780 ti with a 1080 - it's a game machine, and runs quite nicely. Part of the reason may be that it's still running Windows 7 :-)

I take my time assembling a PC, because I'm more like to make mistakes if I hurry.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:33 PM
wcj0
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

I'm still running windows 7 also on all of my pc's. I don't like the windows 8 or 10 platform. I especially don't like the idea of not being able to choose what updates i want to install and the ones i don't want to install. For the most part i only install the "important" updates and NEVER install recommended driver updates. I have no reason and see no reason to update drivers on any machine that's running well. If you're heavily into gaming ( which i am not ) i can understand updating graphics card drivers for certain games to play. Other than that, unless the drivers that came with the card is defective and causing problems with the operating system, i leave them all alone. I used to overclock heavily but now i just build a machine that will do the job in it's native build. My primary machine where i do all of my processing is: Windows 7 Pro, Corsair Carbide 300 series case, Samsung 850 pro 512GB SSD where the operating system resides, MSi GTX 760 video card 2GB ram, Intel i7-5930k 3.5 GHz 6 core, Corsair H100 water cooling, Corsair HXi 850w power supply, G.skill 64gig 288 pin DDR4 memory all on an ASUS X99 Delux LGA 2011-3 motherboard. As far as internal drives go, along with the SSD i have 6 HGST Deskstar NAS 4tb harddrives. This system although almost 2 years old now, plows through anything i throw at it. The only issue i have ever had with it was at the beginning i had a defective motherboard, and about a year later i had a defective power supply. The motherboard was right away ( didn't recognize any USB ports ). The power supply wouldn't always power up ( usual power supply problem ). I also have an ASUS blueray burner for an optical drive. forgot to add it cost me about $2,400 to build back then. Today with DDR4 memory becoming more popular and the new i7 chips and SSD's becoming more popular it would probably cost at least a couple of hundred less.

Jan 16, 2017 at 03:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

stroll over to youtube.... search for newegg 4 part video on building your own pc.

Pretty straight forward.

Building a pc these days is different than 5 or 10 years ago.

Some of us play with old cars/motorcycles ... other play with PC's.

Looks like the OP found the issue. nice....

I have built 3 pc in the last 2 years. I will update my main PC, used for editing, when needed.
As in stepping up to i7 6700K with DDR4 memory and MOB.
Updating video card....
Adding a 2nd SSD.
Never had an issue.
Really enjoy win10. I can even choice what updates to install.

Later... Mark

Feb 02, 2017 at 07:04 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

Nice thing about building, and being familiar with your PC, is making changes - often a build evolves over time. HDD configurations, optical drives come and go to free up SATA headers, SSD's are reassigned, RAM increases, PCIe cards may be swapped out - all to meet changing needs, or until we settle on a near perfect, stable build.

Feb 03, 2017 at 02:51 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

Many experts have done a 180 on defragging SSD drives. Once a month won't hurt anything and it makes the OS look at every bit and get the junk out.

Feb 07, 2017 at 03:56 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

I had two companies that designed and built computers from the IC up and I know better than to think for a second that there is any real value in building a white box computer. First of all the person is paying full retail for every single component or about 3-4 times as much as HP or Lenovo or Dell pays for those components. Second, there is no integration by the home assembler who does not know which devices play nice under Windows 10 and which are going to be flaky. This is exacerbated by Microsoft's use of DLL's which are easily corrupted and which then results in erratic behavior. There are also problems created when people assemble computers without proper precautions to prevent static electrical discharge damage to components.

Static discharges can damage a section of an EPROM on a board or a section of RAM and this may not show until that section is accessed by a program. Good luck trying to diagnose such damage as it is not a trivial pursuit.

Lastly, if I have a mainstream computer and load an experimental OS like Windows 10 on it there are going to be lots of fellow sufferers and the board and component companies are going to be under the gun to fix the problem and if I call HP or Apple or Lenovo or even a third party board company like Nvidia, they are going to be able to replicate the problem in their labs. If I have a white box with various assembled components then they have no way to replicate the problem and so no way to fix it.

Feb 09, 2017 at 12:25 AM
kdlanejr
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

Display drivers, especially with nVidia constantly updating drivers for specific games, can cause a multitude of issues.

Display Driver Uninstaller @ Guru3D .com will completely remove your previous display driver and allow you to install the driver of your choice without small pieces of your previous driver being left behind to cause problems.

I also am running a 6850k on a Asus X99 Deluxe II mb with 64GB of G.skill 3200mhz DDR4, H115i watercooling, dual GTX980 TI Classified cards in SLI, blu-ray reader/burner and DVD reader burner. HX850i powers the whole thing.

C drive is on a 1TB Samsumg 850 EVO, with two 512 840 pro ssd's also installed.

There is a smaller Kingston SSD installed that has Linux loaded on it.

From the beginning this build was a barn burner. The MB OC's easily and will run the 6-core processor at 4.2Ghz while running the ram at 3200mhz without any issues.

That is without any issues until I went to the OEM websites of various components and started "updating" drivers. Eventually I introduced a conflict that took a system reset to recover from.

Then Microsoft Version 1607, build 14393.693 update and it was time to sort out the corruption again. This is where DDU came in again. MS had issued an update to my video drivers and that update wasn't playing nice after overwriting the video drivers. Once I removed the video drivers and performed a clean video driver install all is back to normal. The system boot averages 37 seconds and that is from an SSD and not from a M.2 nvme device.

Editing Programs generally open in 1 to 2 seconds, with office programs launching faster.

It out performs the 12core/24thread 2.66 Ghz zeon reference in Cinebench and scores >96% of other systems benchmarked with 3DMark.

No, It's not an Apple and I'm very glad of that. I probably couldn't afford an Apple system that could come anywhere close to keeping up with my current build.

I also have room for expansion. The motherboard will support an additional 64GB of ram, an M.2 device, two U.2 devices, another six or eight hard drives (I don't recall which) and the processor can be upgraded to 8 core or 10 core.

Zerga, Hang in there and make backups. The least expensive way to ensure your system is always available is to clone your C drive to an identical drive at least once a month.

Feb 22, 2017 at 06:05 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

elkhornsun wrote:
I had two companies that designed and built computers from the IC up and I know better than to think for a second that there is any real value in building a white box computer. First of all the person is paying full retail for every single component or about 3-4 times as much as HP or Lenovo or Dell pays for those components. Second, there is no integration by the home assembler who does not know which devices play nice under Windows 10 and which are going to be flaky. This is exacerbated by Microsoft's use of DLL's which
...Show more
Never heard win10 being described as experimental OS.

Especially since the kernal is a modified version of the Win NT kernel.

Feb 23, 2017 at 08:02 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

wcj0 wrote:
..Over the course of time most of the issues revolve around failing power supplies or failing hard drives...

That's my experience, too. I'd also add that water cooling systems seem to have a predictably finite lifespan.

Mar 19, 2017 at 03:24 PM
wcj0
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

before using one of the "closed" manufactured systems i would have to agree. But so far mine has been doing fine for 2 years now as well as another system that i have with approximately the same build and time.

Mar 20, 2017 at 02:21 PM
wcj0
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

in reference to display drivers and other mb drivers, if i have no driver issues with any of the drivers that are supplied with the motherboard, i usually don't update drivers. I find no reason to. I also don't let windows ( 7) download anything other than important system updates and i don't let auto update install them until i have a chance to check them out and decide what updates i want to install. However this is on windows 7 and from what i understand on win10 you have no choice. I'll stick with 7 until i am forced to update it due to program or important update problems. If it aint broke, dont fix! My days of "playing" just to see what happens are over, i'm very satisfied having a solid running system and don't need or want the new bells and whistles that win10 may or may not have. been there, done that.

Mar 20, 2017 at 02:31 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

Don't know if it has been completely fixed but I had a similar problem. Modern desktop with SSD and windows would start reasonably fast, but not as quick as my older laptop. Then I would try to start a program like lightroom or photoshop and it would take 30 seconds to a minute to open. For me it turned out to be a problem with recent links. Normally windows keeps links to 10 of your recently opened files in a folder. Mine had over 200,000! Ctrl A, Delete. Wait a couple hours for it to actually delete all those files and then my computer was finally running again.

Mar 20, 2017 at 04:02 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password