New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

Zerga
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

so I just built 2 computers in the past 3 months.. one i6700 and another one is i6850 both 32gb ram, 1070graphics.. 960pro ssd and this is what I get ( video )

Can anyone tell me what's going on? sometimes it takes 20seconds for a window to load.. same with drop down menues or sliders..

https://youtu.be/-BK_3zQPXl8

Dec 31, 2016 at 02:22 AM
skid00skid00
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

Reinstall the OS and the video drivers. Make sure the SSD has 30% free space, and TRIM it (defrag and optimize in Windows terms).

Dec 31, 2016 at 02:37 AM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

SSDs do not need to be and shouldnt be defraged.

Dec 31, 2016 at 02:51 AM
Zerga
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

I just built it and installed windows 10 today, so everything is brand new and fresh..

Dec 31, 2016 at 03:54 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

Read the Forum Rules, and DON'T USE ALL CAPITALS!

Dec 31, 2016 at 05:46 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

Check you have all the drivers correctly updated. Reboot. Check the device manager for any non-identified hardware. If you have some, either get drivers or disable it.

Check the BIOS for stupid settings on memory speed or HDD/SSD configuration.

Check the task manager for errant processes running at 100% for no reason. If you have one, figure out what it is and work out why it is unhappy.

Are you sure you mounted the CPU cooler straight? Did you plug in the cooling fans correctly? Check. Download a system monitor util and check the temperatures on the CPU, HDD and graphics card.

If that's not working, go to more extreme measures. Reload the BIOS defaults. Unplug all peripherals except those absolutely necessary - i.e. boot the PC with only RAM, CPU + cooler, SSD, keyboard and mouse attached. If it is still slow, swap out as many components as you can to isolate your variables.

My feeling is that you have a driver problem. Either the graphics card driver or something to do with the M.2 SSD.

Oh, don't defrag the SSD. Pointless waste of time. TRIM is automatic in any operating system / SSD combination you could buy in the last 3+ years so don't waste time figuring out how to do that either. If you really want to do something with the SSD, download the samsung utilities and run them on it.

Dec 31, 2016 at 02:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

15Bit wrote:
...Check the task manager for errant processes running at 100% for no reason. If you have one, figure out what it is and work out why it is unhappy.

My old notebook was similarly slow-dead when I took it to Win 10. Turned out, the add-on graphics card was toast. The notebook worked fine after the card was disabled, and the motherboard graphics module took over.

Dec 31, 2016 at 03:17 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

JameelH wrote:
SSDs do not need to be and shouldnt be defraged.

Jameel, it's been almost a DECADE since people using windows PC's started understanding the difference between TRIM and hdd defrag. Please join us in the new century!

Dec 31, 2016 at 06:42 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

15Bit wrote:
Oh, don't defrag the SSD. Pointless waste of time. TRIM is automatic in any operating system / SSD combination you could buy in the last 3+ years so don't waste time figuring out how to do that either. If you really want to do something with the SSD, download the samsung utilities and run them on it.

Windows automatic/scheduled TRIM does NOT work on either my home-build win 8.1 desktop, nor the Win 10 Dell 3650 I just purchased for the wife. I have to run it manually on both machines. It does work on my SP4.

Dec 31, 2016 at 06:45 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

skid00skid00 wrote:
Jameel, it's been almost a DECADE since people using windows PC's started understanding the difference between TRIM and hdd defrag. Please join us in the new century!

Then why did you suggest to defrag it?

Dec 31, 2016 at 06:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

skid00skid00 wrote:
Windows automatic/scheduled TRIM does NOT work on either my home-build win 8.1 desktop, nor the Win 10 Dell 3650 I just purchased for the wife. I have to run it manually on both machines. It does work on my SP4.

It should work on both of those unless you got some crap OCZ drive or something. Just out of interest, how do you perform the manual TRIM?

Dec 31, 2016 at 06:53 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

This is why you should spend the $50 to let the shop build and configure your custom PC. When something goes wrong...it can be days before ( if not longer ) you figure things out.

When I was using PC's, I picked all the components and let the shop assemble them, install the OS with all the current drivers and configure the system. Cost me an extra $50...well worth it.

I now use Apple and I just bring it home and plug it in.

Dec 31, 2016 at 09:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

and I just got done throwing one together today with my nephew. 2.5 hrs from start to finish.

and from a 3sec video I couldn't tell you a thing.

Edited on Jan 01, 2017 at 12:11 AM · View previous versions

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:16 PM
Zerga
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

I'm thinking it may be because I swapped graphics card from quadro k2200 to 1070. I'll uninstall the drivers and install the new ones and see how it does..

Jan 01, 2017 at 12:10 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

yes, the Quadro drivers and the Geforce drivers are completely different drivers.

Jan 01, 2017 at 12:15 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

chez wrote:
This is why you should spend the $50 to let the shop build and configure your custom PC. When something goes wrong...it can be days before ( if not longer ) you figure things out.

When I was using PC's, I picked all the components and let the shop assemble them, install the OS with all the current drivers and configure the system. Cost me an extra $50...well worth it.

I now use Apple and I just bring it home and plug it in.

So, in essence, you are now paying Apple an extra $250 dollars to assemble it for you, but you don't get to pick the parts. Right?

Jan 01, 2017 at 12:19 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

Todd Warnke wrote:
So, in essence, you are now paying Apple an extra $250 dollars to assemble it for you, but you don't get to pick the parts. Right?

No...parts are what they are...but I chose the OS over my adventures in Windows land...as can be seen in this thread.

Jan 01, 2017 at 12:31 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

Zerga wrote:
I'm thinking it may be because I swapped graphics card from quadro k2200 to 1070. I'll uninstall the drivers and install the new ones and see how it does..

That's certainly a not a moment of genius...

I find myself in the unusual position of agreeing with Chez - for many people the cost of having someone else build and install their computer (be it PC or Mac) is money well spent. In particular the warranty situation is much clearer - the vendor has to sort out problems. If you build your own, then you have to isolate the faulty component yourself (which usually requires the presence of spare parts for testing) and then convince the supplier that it was that particular part which is faulty.

And as this thread shows, building your own can sometimes not be as easy as you think. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a natural tinkerer and who doesn't have readily available (competent) support available to help out in the event of problems.

Jan 01, 2017 at 07:47 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

15Bit wrote:
It should work on both of those unless you got some crap OCZ drive or something. Just out of interest, how do you perform the manual TRIM?

I use Windows Defrag app. From the Control Panel app...

Jan 01, 2017 at 07:56 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY PC?

15Bit wrote:
Then why did you suggest to defrag it?

Because you use the Windows "defrag" app.

Jan 01, 2017 at 07:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password