New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Bisti, NM Travel advice, Please!

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bisti, NM Travel advice, Please!

I have been very fascinated with Bisti photographs, night or day images. But I am more inclined into night photography.

My travel has been very hectic and busy for the past year, but I don't see any slow down in the foreseeable future.

I am kind of planning this coming year's photo travel. And this Bisti area is in my bucket list, high.

Keep in mind that I am mostly solo traveleing, female and not an avid hiker.

Would you please give me as much information as possible for my NM area adventure?

I have not been at the White Sands, nor Shiprock area either.

I am thinking of 10-14 days summer travel because of the Milky Way shooting.

Thanks in advance.

Happy Holidays!

Dec 30, 2016 at 05:53 PM
EGrav
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bisti, NM Travel advice, Please!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1418604/0#13466806

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:27 AM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bisti, NM Travel advice, Please!

I'm also a solo (or with my dog) female. Bisti is very safe. It will be very hot in summer. You should explore during the day to figure out where you want to be as there are no trails. Bisti is probably the most frequented of the badlands in NM, so is a good place to get familiar with the terrain. If you go in summer for night photography, you'll want to stay in Farmington so you can get some sleep during the day.

This is also a very good site for information PhotTrekNM
And this one, also (has more than Bisti -- go to Locations, the Other US, then choose which one you want theWave.info For many of the badlands, if it has been raining, the dirt/clay roads can quickly become very slick.

Chaco Canyon, if you like ancestral Puebloan ruins, is close to Bisti. They have a night sky program (it's a Dark Sky place) but the park closes at sunset. During the equinox and solstice, they usually have a special event where they open the gates before sunrise. It's very crowded at the Great Kiva, but you can shoot Casa Bonito without crowds. There is camping there, but no shade. Chaco

Dec 31, 2016 at 03:04 PM
Adam Schallau
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bisti, NM Travel advice, Please!

Hi Kee!

Are you interested in photographing other subjects besides the landscape such as the ancestral Puebloan sites, modern pueblos, or the historic mission churches? There is so much to see and photograph in New Mexico. I lived in Taos for 12 years before I moved to Flagstaff. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, but getting an idea as to what you want to do (besides Bisti) will make it a bit easier to help.

One more thing...if you haven't already done this, be sure to get Laurent Martres' book Photographing the Southwest - Volume 3.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:59 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bisti, NM Travel advice, Please!

With a bit of luck, the summer monsoon season may bring amazingly beautiful sunset / twilight skies. Maybe even some lightning. (Potentially deadly since you'll be some distance from the safety of the car, but just think of the gorgeous images you could make!)

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:27 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bisti, NM Travel advice, Please!

EGrav wrote:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1418604/0#13466806

Hello EGrav, I have checked the link you recommended. Thanks!
Have a happy New Year!

---------------------------------------------

Monika C wrote:
I'm also a solo (or with my dog) female. Bisti is very safe. It will be very hot in summer. You should explore during the day to figure out where you want to be as there are no trails. Bisti is probably the most frequented of the badlands in NM, so is a good place to get familiar with the terrain. If you go in summer for night photography, you'll want to stay in Farmington so you can get some sleep during the day.

This is also a very good site for information PhotTrekNM
And this one, also (has more than
...Show more

Hello Monika,
I feel very relieved to know that Bisti is a safe place to be around. Farmington is a place I will stay for the adventure to the Bisti, for sure. I value lots of information you provided here for me. I will check those areas and links.. Yes.. June-July may be too hot. I may look into August-ish. Thank you again!
Have a happy New Year!

Adam Schallau wrote:
Hi Kee!

Are you interested in photographing other subjects besides the landscape such as the ancestral Puebloan sites, modern pueblos, or the historic mission churches? There is so much to see and photograph in New Mexico. I lived in Taos for 12 years before I moved to Flagstaff. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, but getting an idea as to what you want to do (besides Bisti) will make it a bit easier to help.

One more thing...if you haven't already done this, be sure to get Laurent Martres' book Photographing the Southwest - Volume 3.

Hello Adam,
Good to hear from you. Yes, I would like to broaden my interest beyond just landscape. I am ordering the book you recommend. I have Vol.1 but not Vol.3.. I will need to email you later to ask more specific questions.
Thank you again!
Have a happy New Year!

Greg Campbell wrote:
With a bit of luck, the summer monsoon season may bring amazingly beautiful sunset / twilight skies. Maybe even some lightning. (Potentially deadly since you'll be some distance from the safety of the car, but just think of the gorgeous images you could make!)

Hello Greg,
Yes, summer monsoon season with amazing lightning as well will be great! Except that I don't want to be hit.
I am very much drawn to this NM area suddenly. This year NM and Colorado are in my bucket lists.
Thank you again!
Have a happy New Year!

Jan 01, 2017 at 02:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bisti, NM Travel advice, Please!

New Mexico encompasses quite a few badlands other than Bisti. I don't know much about them, but here's a good place to start: http://www.americansouthwest.net/badlands.html

Edited on Jan 01, 2017 at 11:03 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2017 at 06:02 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bisti, NM Travel advice, Please!

Greg Campbell wrote:
New Mexico quite a few badlands other than Bisti. I don't know much about them, but here's a good place to start: http://www.americansouthwest.net/badlands.html

Hello Greg,
Excellent link you recommended! Thank you!

Jan 01, 2017 at 07:15 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bisti, NM Travel advice, Please!

Kee, August is generally not a good time to visit SW locations with lots of clay. It's going to be hot and humid, and after the rain it is just plain inaccessible. This clay is very nasty when wet. If you are concerned about dull blue sky, often there are very nice clouds in a spring, April-May time frame.
Besides Bisti and other badlands, there are wonderful archeological locations nearby, such as Mesa Verde and Chaco Canyon. There is a campground at Chaco Canyon; the structures are amazing and deserve spending some time there. The drive is long but worth it.

Sasha.

Jan 14, 2017 at 08:16 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bisti, NM Travel advice, Please!

Greg Campbell wrote:

alatoo60 wrote:
Kee, August is generally not a good time to visit SW locations with lots of clay. It's going to be hot and humid, and after the rain it is just plain inaccessible. This clay is very nasty when wet. If you are concerned about dull blue sky, often there are very nice clouds in a spring, April-May time frame.
Besides Bisti and other badlands, there are wonderful archeological locations nearby, such as Mesa Verde and Chaco Canyon. There is a campground at Chaco Canyon; the structures are amazing and deserve spending some time there. The drive is long but worth it.

Sasha.

The Southwest, at relatively low elevation, in the dead of summer - yuck... For the past few years my company has given us the entire week of July 4th off. I went on a SW loop for two summers - NW arizona and southern Utah. Temperatures approaching 100F by 10am and it was downright dangerous to be out past early morning or before very late afternoon. If the forecast calls for hot weather and you have never hiked in 90F+ temps you would want to take it super easy and ensure that you never loose control of your heart rate. You also always want to have tons of water on you (I usually carry a full gallon), and you want to be aware constantly aware of where the shade is should you need it. When I am out in such weather I try to be by the tent or car before 10am. I also have a tarp that I pitch supported on two sides by my Jeep and other two sides on trekking poles. During most of the day I read under the tarp on a small foldable chair.

Google about the German couple that died in White Sands about 1-2 miles away from the trailhead, on a pretty easy trail. Apparently they left in high heat with just am 8 oz water bottle.

I was once chasing a monsoon cloud over sand dunes in 105F temps, lost control of my heart rate, and almost went into hyperthermia - black circles in the eyes, shivers, the works. Photo did not turn out that great, but it taught me a valuable lesson. After that I purchased and always carry a PLB.
http://www.lghtbx.com/u/groovygeek/0BxMbtrAZYEMoaVhtUnFzOTdjeGs/0BxMbtrAZYEMoRjUtVnF1Z2FTUmM

Jan 18, 2017 at 08:30 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bisti, NM Travel advice, Please!

Tag

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:17 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password