New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · Nikon D500 lens advice needed for purchase

mocat5

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon D500 lens advice needed for purchase

Thank you for the input. I actually made a mistake in the lens I currently had on my old d7000...I don't have a 18-135mm but actually own a 18-105mm lens (my apologies...was not looking close enough that day when I posted).

I have given up on buying a new lens at this time and will be saving up to buy a Sigma 50-100mm 1.8 lens. I do not shoot anything except sports at our school and don't honestly use my d500 for holidays and everyday shooting around (too bulky to lug around and can just use my point and shoot for portability)

I love my d500 and it takes amazing photos with both my 50mm and 70-200mm of the athletes I coach/teach at my school. They like them, I like them, and their parents like them....so at the end of the day it was money well spent.
I just need to learn how to use photoshop programs to touch up and edit to make them even better (slowly learning but never enough time to sit and play).

I don't shoot portrait photography and most likely never will (if that ever happens then I will invest into some portrait lenses). I appreciate the input from the people who have posted their feedback. As an educator, we always look at all sides of info and assess from there. This is why I like to be a member of this forum. I may not post a lot but I certainly read/browse a lot to pick up info/tricks from people who do this everyday as part of their hobby/business/professional.

Sep 17, 2017 at 09:20 AM
RandyR
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon D500 lens advice needed for purchase

you got the body, save up for the 16-85 or 16-90

Sep 17, 2017 at 01:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon D500 lens advice needed for purchase

don't forget the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:59 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon D500 lens advice needed for purchase

mocat5 wrote:
I have given up on buying a new lens at this time and will be saving up to buy a Sigma 50-100mm 1.8 lens. I do not shoot anything except sports at our school and don't honestly use my d500 for holidays and everyday shooting around (too bulky to lug around and can just use my point and shoot for portability)

The Sigma 50-100mm f1.8 is a spectacular lens. It took me several years to put together a really first class set of lenses. I almost always buy them used to save money. People seem to take good care of expensive stuff.

Kent in SD

Sep 17, 2017 at 08:06 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon D500 lens advice needed for purchase

16-80mm f/2.8~f/4 for overall image quality and versatility with the DX camera. Buy this lens and you will be set and can focus on photography and not look back.

The greater the zoom range the lower the overall image quality from a lens. That is why the pro level lenses tend to be 2:1 (14-24, 16-35) and the hobby level lenses are in the 10:1 zoom range.

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:56 PM
Cthorsman

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon D500 lens advice needed for purchase

I had a nikon 18-200 vr on a d90 and used for over a year as a walkaround / one lens solution. became disenchanted with the image quality, especially on a d7000.

I am in a similar situation - have a d500 and need lenses. Sort of cleared out my lens selection to start over. Did purchase the 70-300 with it, will try it out this weekend. Fills a niche.

My suggestions (fwiw 🙃
1- if you are ok with the size / weight / image quality of the 18-105, keep it.
2- if you are set on a one lens solution and require more reach get the sigma 18-250. I tried one out and remember it being smaller and lighter than the nikon and image quality about the same. Seems a good value at $350ish new.
3- for image quality and f-stop the sigma 17-50 is a good value right now. That is likely my next choice.

Good luck
Craig

Oct 02, 2017 at 03:51 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.