New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Super Confused on 2 Things

razex
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Super Confused on 2 Things

On X-T2 with 18-55 lens- is there any way to use either command dial to control aperture? It seems the only way is to use front dial with exposure compensation toggle? Otherwise, one can only use lens aperture ring.

I am also very confused by the dynamic range setting of auto-100-200-400%- I'd like to shoot both jpeg and raw into separate SD slots. Somehow I get lost following some the very dry internet suggestions. Oh, I am used to auto ISO with minimum shutter speed settings. I don't mind manual setting everything but mostly I use aperture priority with auto ISO.

I really value your expert opinions on these 2 questions. Thanks much in advance!

Dec 30, 2016 at 01:55 AM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Super Confused on 2 Things

Having recently bought an XT1 after shooting Nikon I too am confused by the DR setting.

I'm assuming it's essentially the same as Nikon's D-Lighting ? Can someone with more knowledge of the X-system chime in to confirm ?

Also, the Nikon d-lighting isn't carried over into LR IIRC, is that also the case with the Fuji DR enhancement ?

Andy

Edit - well having RTFM (page 79) the DR setting seems to provide more dynamic range (surprise surprise) for scenes with bright highlights AND/OR deep shadows and now I'm even more confused. The amount available changes depending on the ISO also.

Can someone explain the system and why Nikon/Canon etc don't have this setting / option - pros and cons?

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:30 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Super Confused on 2 Things

Have you read through this?
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/1294642686/stark-contrast-how-your-camera-copes-with-dynamic-range-capture

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:59 PM
mregala

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Super Confused on 2 Things

As far as I know, DR is only used when shooting jpg files. Doesn't apply to RAW. I typically have mine set to auto, with shadow tone -2 and highlight tone -2. Again, these make no difference to the RAW files but will expand DR a little in converting to jpg. I don't know if DR and shadow/highlight tones are both doing the same thing or if they are independent and additive, maybe someone more knowledgeable here can answer that?

And I think the command dial being usable to alter aperture is only if the lens does not have an aperture ring.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:23 PM
razex
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Super Confused on 2 Things

mregala wrote:
As far as I know, DR is only used when shooting jpg files. Doesn't apply to RAW. I typically have mine set to auto, with shadow tone -2 and highlight tone -2. Again, these make no difference to the RAW files but will expand DR a little in converting to jpg. I don't know if DR and shadow/highlight tones are both doing the same thing or if they are independent and additive, maybe someone more knowledgeable here can answer that?

And I think the command dial being usable to alter aperture is only if the lens does not have an aperture
...Show more

Thank you very much. I am sure it takes some time to get used to the dials. Yes I realize now the 'aperture' dial won't work for lens with aperture ring.

As for the DR- my sense after much reading is that 200/400% will just underexpose the Raw file so you would have to manually pull up highlights and/or shadows in Lightroom. However some software will disregard the DR setting so that it impact only JPEG by improving highlight/shadow details.

I think I am good for now. So much to learn.

Jan 02, 2017 at 12:35 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.