Your comments and critiques welcome.

Steve

Umbrellas on Fifth Avenue

Dec 29, 2016 at 09:35 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Umbrellas on Fifth Avenue

I like this one. It is a bit weird and unusual and it tells a story.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:11 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Umbrellas on Fifth Avenue

I like it as well. And something about that umbrella on the right that sticks up higher than the rest really appeals to me. Makes this picture work for me.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:05 AM
rgoosney
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Umbrellas on Fifth Avenue

I really like this one too. It just works!

Dec 30, 2016 at 06:56 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Umbrellas on Fifth Avenue

Thanks to Jim, Fred, and rgoosney for commenting. Much appreciated.
Steve

Dec 30, 2016 at 09:49 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Umbrellas on Fifth Avenue

What I noticed first off was that everyone had an umbrella except the two closest people.

Do NY folks generally use umbrellas or was this some event? They are rare in my area and we do have weather that would need it, but then we are in a car culture, walking is restricted between car door and building door.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:08 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Umbrellas on Fifth Avenue

This is a great image with its confusing conglomeration of umbrellas.

It's interesting to note the "one way" sign down the avenue as though directing those moving forward to lift their umbrellas to avoid poking them into the eyes of those going the other way.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:39 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Umbrellas on Fifth Avenue

ben egbert wrote:
What I noticed first off was that everyone had an umbrella except the two closest people.

Do NY folks generally use umbrellas or was this some event? They are rare in my area and we do have weather that would need it, but then we are in a car culture, walking is restricted between car door and building door.

Look at the crowds on the sidewalk. Can you imagine what the traffic in the streets must look like? Lots of city folks take public transportation and need to walk between subway stations and buildings.

Umbrellas are much more common in the East. Even in wet places like Seattle and Portland it seems hardly anyone uses an umbrella. I remember when I was young and we moved from SLC to DC, my father adopted use of an umbrella, every day including bright sunny days. Unexpected rainstorms were common but it was more cultural than practical on most days.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:09 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Umbrellas on Fifth Avenue

Camperjim wrote:
Look at the crowds on the sidewalk. Can you imagine what the traffic in the streets must look like? Lots of city folks take public transportation and need to walk between subway stations and buildings.

Umbrellas are much more common in the East. Even in wet places like Seattle and Portland it seems hardly anyone uses an umbrella. I remember when I was young and we moved from SLC to DC, my father adopted use of an umbrella, every day including bright sunny days. Unexpected rainstorms were common but it was more cultural than practical on most days.

Jim hit the nail on the head. City people are always carrying umbrellas when the forecast is for rain. When I took this photo yesterday, it was raining steadily, and for most of the day. The main mode of transportation here is walking, and you don't want to be caught outdoors in the rain without an umbrella.

NYC is filled with tourists during the holiday season, as you can see from this fifth avenue photo. It is so crowded that it is literally hard to navigate the sidewalks.

Steve

Dec 30, 2016 at 01:38 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.