Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Non XP Compatible My Passport HDD with XP?

AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Non XP Compatible My Passport HDD with XP?

Picked up a new 1tb MyPassport yesterday. Plugged it into the computer (64 bit xp athlon 3000+) and it didn't really show up. Showed up to eject, though.

So I Googled it, and converted to MBR from GPT. It turns out the MyPassport I'd been using was MBR, purchased last year.

Will this conversion possibly cause any problems or shorten life of the drive?

The format took 4 hours or so. Can these little drives run that long, continuously, or is that trouble waiting to happen?

Did I have to convert to MBR and reformat, or could I just have assigned a letter to the drive?

Any other suggestions or thoughts on how to do this, potential problems, etc?

Seems to be working fine, so far.

Thanks in advance

Dec 29, 2016 at 02:38 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Non XP Compatible My Passport HDD with XP?

Might be time to update from XP

Microsoft has not supported it since April 8, 2014

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/end-of-xp-support

how about Windows 9?
Oh, wait, that does not exist.
Microsoft was trying to get us to forget about Windows 8 and skipped v9 directly to v10

Dec 29, 2016 at 02:51 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Non XP Compatible My Passport HDD with XP?

Yeah I was thinking about that, how they skipped 9. Pretty much keep the xp machines offline, so should be ok, hopefully, afaik. Software doing pretty well.

I'm getting away from xp a little, but it still works. Been a really good computer.

Dec 29, 2016 at 02:59 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Non XP Compatible My Passport HDD with XP?

its not 2001 anymore put down the XP

Dec 29, 2016 at 03:48 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Non XP Compatible My Passport HDD with XP?

XP is also a security risk

Dec 29, 2016 at 03:48 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Non XP Compatible My Passport HDD with XP?

I actually still quite like XP. It's light and runs fast, and much of the "functionality" it lacks are bells and whistles rather than genuinely useful functionality. We still have a few instruments at work that run off XP host PC's, and reliability is excellent. We have to firewall them off and restrict USB sticks though, due to the lack security updates.

Returning to the original questions -

- No, reformatting as MBR shouldn't affect reliability, and the only "problems" you will have are the limits to partition size (2TB, so not an issue on a 1TB drive) and to the number of primary partitions you can have (3).
- Yes, you did probably need to convert and reformat cos 32bit XP simply won't read GPT filetables. There might be a 3rd party util that does it, but it would never be as good as converting to something that XP natively supports.
- It is probably not a great idea to leave these drives running at high load for a long time, as cooling is not going to be optimal. Still, you need to run them to use them.

I would also recommend moving on to a newer OS. Indeed, i would suggest a newer PC to go with it

Dec 29, 2016 at 03:58 PM
ngaio
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Non XP Compatible My Passport HDD with XP?

To the OP: you didn't say with which tool you formatted it. If your drive uses Advanced Format, and the tool you used doesn't know that, you might be shortening the life of the drive.

To safely format your drive, and make it XP compatible, read:

http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=3868

Dec 29, 2016 at 05:09 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Non XP Compatible My Passport HDD with XP?

ngaio wrote:
To the OP: you didn't say with which tool you formatted it. If your drive uses Advanced Format, and the tool you used doesn't know that, you might be shortening the life of the drive.

To safely format your drive, and make it XP compatible, read:

http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=3868

Just used format in windows. Would that work?

Edited on Dec 29, 2016 at 10:55 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:42 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Non XP Compatible My Passport HDD with XP?

15Bit wrote:
I actually still quite like XP. It's light and runs fast, and much of the "functionality" it lacks are bells and whistles rather than genuinely useful functionality. We still have a few instruments at work that run off XP host PC's, and reliability is excellent. We have to firewall them off and restrict USB sticks though, due to the lack security updates.

Returning to the original questions -

- No, reformatting as MBR shouldn't affect reliability, and the only "problems" you will have are the limits to partition size (2TB, so not an issue on a 1TB drive) and
...Show more

Yeah, I use a windows 7 machine, too. Just seems slower. Seems very deliberate and careful, annoying. Still like the xp machine.

I had read something about 2TB, I'll keep that in mind. Probably a good thing I never bought a 4 TB drive!

I set a usb type cable under the drive, on either side, keeping it flat, to give it some way to move air and heat. Seemed cooler after 3 hours of formatting than the first 20 minutes, before I did this.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:51 PM
ngaio
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Non XP Compatible My Passport HDD with XP?

AmbientMike wrote:
Just used format in windows. Would that work?

It depends if your version of Windows recognizes Advance Format drives. I strongly recommend using the manufacturer's application to format the drive, which is free of cost and guaranteed to work optimally. In future I also recommend relying on their official documentation before relying on advice from the Internet. The quality of the former is assured, unlike the latter.

Dec 30, 2016 at 02:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.