New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Canon 400 with extender and Tamron - Crop vs Full frame

golfnphotog
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 400 with extender and Tamron - Crop vs Full frame

Not a test by any means and "not" a fair comparison and again not a Full frame vs Crop issue that has been beaten to death on thin forum!!!. Both shot using a tripod. Just a perspective. The extender was Kenko. The 6D with Tamron looks better to me (first image) - and the second image is from a Canon 7D II with the Canon 400mm f/5.6 with the Kenko 1.4x. Don't know why the EXIF does not show.

Edited on Dec 29, 2016 at 02:17 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:03 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 400 with extender and Tamron - Crop vs Full frame

Did the bird move on the second shot? They are quick and it does not take much for some micro blur even with a higher shutter speed.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:10 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 400 with extender and Tamron - Crop vs Full frame

If you uploaded these pictures to the FM site, just edit your message and click the box to "show EXIF".

Maybe compare the branch and leaves

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:56 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 400 with extender and Tamron - Crop vs Full frame

From my experience if the difference is consistent in a number of examples I'd say it is the FF sensor making the difference more than the lenses/TCs. But you have to keep at least one variable constant to get a real comparison. So shoot both combos on the 6D as a starting point.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:26 AM
David Garcia
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 400 with extender and Tamron - Crop vs Full frame

I got the same results using a Kenko 1.4 when I tried it on my 400 F5.6.... terrible. I got much better results using the Canon 1.4 lll. However, I don't like using an extender with that lens at F8... very slow to focus.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:40 AM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 400 with extender and Tamron - Crop vs Full frame

Same. On a 6D, I get excellent results with a 200mm 2.8 bumped to f4 with a 1.4x kenko pro300 dgx, but not so great results on the 400mm 5.6 unless I step down from f8 to f11 or f13. I got a great shot of a hawk with a kenko 2x dgx but at f18 and focused on a tripod in live view. Best results with that lens are 1/1250 or better hand held and even on a tripod shot at 1/800. I love the 400mm 5.6. It just has certain limitations. I choose to shoot and crop if needed.

Dec 30, 2016 at 01:04 AM
golfnphotog
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 400 with extender and Tamron - Crop vs Full frame

arbitrage wrote:
From my experience if the difference is consistent in a number of examples I'd say it is the FF sensor making the difference more than the lenses/TCs. But you have to keep at least one variable constant to get a real comparison. So shoot both combos on the 6D as a starting point.

I like the wisdom of the experienced folks like you. Perhaps the 6D/Full Frame may be the factor!
The cooperative resident hummer perched again on the same branch. Here is the 6D with the Canon 400mm with the Kenko (F8).

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:51 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.