New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · alternative to the "camera backpacks" - Mammut Trion Pro

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · alternative to the "camera backpacks" - Mammut Trion Pro

I am in the same boat as everyone else: I want a legit backpack, without getting bent over on the price. The F-stop and Cliq Elite look nice (many friends have them....), but they sacrifice on some of the most important features - value and suspension.

Over the years, i have gone through many bags. Currently i have the Gregory Denali 75 bag (used twice on long trips this past summer with camera gear, camping gear, bear vault, etc), but it wasn't ideal. I have a great overnight bag (REI Pinnacle 35), and it is the closest to meeting my needs.

This bag here i have been eyeing for years now, and am going to finally get it here shortly. Technically, it is a climbing bag, but the features are what i am looking for. Just throw in an ICU, and good to go. It is a 57 liter bag, so still can go on 5-6 day trips into the middle of nowhere.

For $200, probably the best option. Plus they have been around since mid 1800s, so they must be doing something right.

Dec 28, 2016 at 02:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · alternative to the "camera backpacks" - Mammut Trion Pro

yep they've been around since 1862 as rope manufacturers until the late 1970's they got into GTX wear (I remember that because I was working with it (GTX) too and it kinda sucked. in 1989 they bought a pack maker Furst (that's when they got into packs) and then they started to diversify a bit. they purchased Climb High their US distributor in VT. ToKo and Raichle too. Today they are the biggest outdoor mfg/dist in Europe I believe.
back in the '70s I always found their ropes a little stiff. I preferred Edelweiss

Dec 28, 2016 at 02:34 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · alternative to the "camera backpacks" - Mammut Trion Pro

i put 30lbs of weight in this pack and walked around for 20-30 minutes; and i must say I was impressed with this pack! Obviously in store use and real world use couldn't be any more different, it gave me an idea of how this could handle the weight.

Jan 04, 2017 at 02:03 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · alternative to the "camera backpacks" - Mammut Trion Pro

Dustin Gent wrote:
i put 30lbs of weight in this pack and walked around for 20-30 minutes; and i must say I was impressed with this pack! Obviously in store use and real world use couldn't be any more different, it gave me an idea of how this could handle the weight.

One thing for sure though is if it didn't feel great in the store...it would feel lousy on the trail. Passed the first test anyway.

Jan 04, 2017 at 07:06 PM
ljkamler
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · alternative to the "camera backpacks" - Mammut Trion Pro

Looks like a pretty cool bag. Would like to hear how it performs in real life. I started off with a Gregory Baltoro 65 a few years back. Nice pack, but at around 5 lbs I thought it was pretty heavy. I've since been using a couple bags from our Utah neighbors in Logan at ULA. I have a Circuit and a Catalyst. They are nice because the bag is just one large compartment, they're relatively light, and they are pretty much bomb proof. I miss the padding on the Gregory straps, though. I might have to keep an eye out for a deal on the Mammut.

Jan 04, 2017 at 07:17 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.