Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

I'm seriously thinking of buying the EOS M5 as I've always been a Canon fan. Any owners here able to comment about the optical performance and the flare resistance of the 11-22mm, 15-45mm, 18-55mm, and 55-200mm lense?

I know these aren't pro-grade lenses, but that's fine. I love the small size of the lenses and I do planning on shooting mainly between f/8 and f/11.

It seems like the 15-45mm lens is the new kit lens. Obviously there's a lot of overlap between the 15-45mm and 18-55mm lenses. Which one have the better optical performance and the best flare resistance?

Thanks!

Dec 28, 2016 at 03:42 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

Some tests can be found here:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos

And examples here:

https://pixelpeeper.com/adv/?lens=none&camera=1991&perpage=25&focal_min=none&focal_max=none&aperture_min=none&aperture_max=none&iso_min=none&iso_max=none&exp_min=none&exp_max=none&res=3

Dec 28, 2016 at 03:48 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

I have three 18-55's, one 11-22mm and one 22mm and they are all good, the 18-55's are better than the EF-S equivalent and the 11-22 and 22mm are exceptional lenses by most standards. In fact the 11-22mm is a gem.

I use hoods on all and haven't found flare any worse than other lenses I own

Dec 28, 2016 at 03:51 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

dhphoto wrote:
I have three 18-55's, one 11-22mm and one 22mm and they are all good, the 18-55's are better than the EF-S equivalent and the 11-22 and 22mm are exceptional lenses by most standards. In fact the 11-22mm is a gem.

The 11-22 is tad too dark to be of interest for me as a main lense, but I'm quite happy with the 22/2.0. I have the Samy 12/2.0, my sample appears to be decent for UWA but that is a MF lense.

Dec 28, 2016 at 04:01 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

artificialyello wrote:
The 11-22 is tad too dark to be of interest for me as a main lense, but I'm quite happy with the 22/2.0. I have the Samy 12/2.0, my sample appears to be decent for UWA but that is a MF lense.

It seems f5.6 as a max aperture is becoming much more common, partly made up for by much better high ISO performance and IS. But when you need fast you need fast.

Dec 28, 2016 at 05:06 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

dhphoto wrote:
It seems f5.6 as a max aperture is becoming much more common, partly made up for by much better high ISO performance and IS. But when you need fast you need fast.

I like fast. :-)) At f/4 IIRC... (No EXIF obviously.)

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/73v3cvbebtj2tsf/i160802%238139.jpg

Dec 28, 2016 at 05:42 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

I like fast too, but I also like compact and light.

I use my EF-M 11-22 exclusively for pro work in tight spaces on tripods and brackets etc and it never lets me down. It has excellent corners at f8 and a nice short minimum focusing distance

I realised about two years ago an EOS M is only a small, light, live-view-only Rebel without a mirrorbox and at 100-200 ISO and with bracketing I can get superb results from it

Dec 28, 2016 at 05:55 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

dhphoto wrote:

I use my EF-M 11-22 exclusively for pro work in tight spaces on tripods and brackets etc and it never lets me down. It has excellent corners at f8 and a nice short minimum focusing distance

I realised about two years ago an EOS M is only a small, light, live-view-only Rebel without a mirrorbox and at 100-200 ISO and with bracketing I can get superb results from it

I respect that. That usage makes good use of auto settings and compact gear. I love the 22/2.0 that makes a true (wide) pocket camera of the M.

The 12/2.0 is not that big though. But I'm not selling it, or anything else here BTW and if you get a Samy you have to verify that your sample is decent since they have had problems with QC (quality control).

Dec 28, 2016 at 06:13 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

dhphoto wrote:

I'm assuming none of the lenses come with hoods right? So I'll have to buy them separately?

I think it's been mentioned that the new EF-M 15-45mm resist flare better than the EF-M 18-55mm. What's your take on that matter?

Dec 28, 2016 at 06:45 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

dhphoto wrote:

The EOS M system is almost perfect except for the crappy AEB limitation that Canon seems to place on these cameras.

Dec 28, 2016 at 06:47 AM

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

The zooms are the kings of vignetting per the Photozone tests... (but they've only tested the 11-22 and the 15-45 so far). Yet the 11-22 looks very nice otherwise.

Dec 28, 2016 at 07:31 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

lsquare wrote:
I'm assuming none of the lenses come with hoods right? So I'll have to buy them separately?

I think it's been mentioned that the new EF-M 15-45mm resist flare better than the EF-M 18-55mm. What's your take on that matter?

No no included hoods but cheap ebay knockoffs are just as good and very cheap, I haven't tried the 15-45, sorry

Dec 28, 2016 at 08:09 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

lsquare wrote:
The EOS M system is almost perfect except for the crappy AEB limitation that Canon seems to place on these cameras.

It's limited to three shots and very annoyingly it resets itself when the camera is turned off, no CF to keep it enabled like on better cameras

I have AEB top of my My Menu list and can re-enable it in about 4 seconds so it's not too bad.

I have the camera set up to turn the screen off after 1 minute but the camera after ten minutes so that keeps AEB enabled most of the time

Dec 28, 2016 at 08:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

lsquare wrote:

dhphoto wrote:
It's limited to three shots and very annoyingly it resets itself when the camera is turned off, no CF to keep it enabled like on better cameras

I have AEB top of my My Menu list and can re-enable it in about 4 seconds so it's not too bad.

I have the camera set up to turn the screen off after 1 minute but the camera after ten minutes so that keeps AEB enabled most of the time

That should fit my normal use of AEB, just fine.

Dec 28, 2016 at 09:20 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

artificialyello wrote:
I respect that. That usage makes good use of auto settings and compact gear. I love the 22/2.0 that makes a true (wide) pocket camera of the M.

the little pancake 22/2 is a gem

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Dec 29, 2016 at 06:21 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

The 22/2 is a reason alone to shoot the M system. I don't feel the same way about the 11-22, but it is a great lens. I just think that if you already have a crop Canon, the 10-18 is 99% as good, and cheaper. I prefer the more conventional layout of the EF-S lens as well.

Optically, it seems all the EF-M lenses are really great. Whether or not they are a pleasure to use, OTOH... Focus by wire, dead-feeling focus rings...

But yet I still love my little EOS M kit haha.
I need to get the 55-200.

Dec 29, 2016 at 08:57 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

ISO1600 wrote:
The 22/2 is a reason alone to shoot the M system. I don't feel the same way about the 11-22, but it is a great lens. I just think that if you already have a crop Canon, the 10-18 is 99% as good, and cheaper. I prefer the more conventional layout of the EF-S lens as well.

Optically, it seems all the EF-M lenses are really great. Whether or not they are a pleasure to use, OTOH... Focus by wire, dead-feeling focus rings...

But yet I still love my little EOS M kit haha.
I need to get the 55-200.

The EF-M lenses are greater still when compared to the subpar offerings on most competing MILC systems, in particular Sony's APS-C lineup.

Dec 29, 2016 at 09:55 AM
burychka
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

OK, please pardon my ignorance of camera brand slang. Google was no help. What is a "Samy"?

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:28 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

burychka wrote:
OK, please pardon my ignorance of camera brand slang. Google was no help. What is a "Samy"?

Samyang.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:34 AM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Optical performance of the Canon EF-M lenses?

So far after shooting the M5 indoors with and without an external flash ( EX600 ) i am not to impressed by the noise generated above ISO 800. Lightroom clears up most of it, but coming from the 1Dx and 1DxII i never expected noise at such low ISO's. With the flash i can usually get acceptable photos with little noise up to ISO 1600. without flash in low light situations however, even ISO 800 becomes very noisy. I have had very limited use outdoors. I also find that the 18-55mm lens produces better contrast and less noise than the 11-22 for some reason. both lenses however do produce sharp photos. There are still lots of thing that i have to learn about using the camera, definitely a different beast than either 1 series camera and even different from the SL1 that i own, although i haven't shot the SL1 in quite awhile. I'm waiting for an EX430II flash to arrive that i purchase off of FM because the EX600 aboard the M is extremely difficult to manage with the 18-55 lens and small body of the M. Makes things extremely out of balance. However i bought the M mostly for the purpose of trying to shoot both my old FD and Nikon F lenses with it which i have approximately 75 of. Would be nice if i can use it for casual indoor and outdoor shots for both good light and low light without having to worry about noise. Only time will tell. Hope this short review helps someone who is interested in purchasing the M.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:56 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.