New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

Michael Gordon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

I am increasingly enamored of my GM5 for a travel kit but my full size Metz flash is a bit oversized to say the least. The little flash that comes with it can't be tilted or easily diffused as is under powered for many applications. I don't know much about Panny flashes but the Panasonic Lumix DMW-FL200L seems like the ticket but doesn't swivel. In portrait mode (with diffuser on) I usually swivel so it at least partially bounces off the ceiling to soften the shadows more. The Nissin i40 for Panny seems it will work but a bit oversized and overkill. Perhaps there is another system flash or non system flash that would fit the bill. As long as it triggers OK and has a good auto mode that is fine w/o TTL metering. Any suggestions appreciated.

Dec 27, 2016 at 04:17 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

I would recommend the Nissin i40 for the compact size and power:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1063502-REG/nissin_nd40_ft_i40_compact_flash_for.html

I have upgraded mine to the Nissin i60A that I am using with the MacBeam flash extender on my E-M1 II:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1236472-REG/nissin_nd60a_ft_i60a_flash_for_micro.html
https://magnetmod.com/shop/magbeam-wildlife-kit/

Edited on Dec 27, 2016 at 05:17 PM · View previous versions

Dec 27, 2016 at 05:02 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

These Bolt compact/mini speedlites will tilt but not swivel ... but I am not sure if the VS-210 is compatible with m43 cameras:

https://www.amazon.com/VS-260-Camera-Flash-Olympus-Panasonic/dp/B00ASWN9B2

https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-VS-210-Mini-On-Camera-Flash/dp/B00ASWNA6Q/ref=pd_lpo_421_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2RSJZ18MTKWMHEQB1WQD

Dec 27, 2016 at 05:12 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

Thanks for the comments. I think swivel capability is essential in a small flash portrait kit to enable bouncing off the ceiling w/o a flash bracket. Perhaps the smallest Nissin is the best option. I will look out for any other suggestions.

Dec 28, 2016 at 01:08 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

The Nissin i40 is probably your best bet. It's compact with tilt and swivel feature - a smaller flash will get you the tilt but not swivel feature. More importantly, the i40 is quite a powerful flash so it's more suited to bounce lighting. And I like the fact that it's very intuitive and simple to operate.

Michael Gordon wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I think swivel capability is essential in a small flash portrait kit to enable bouncing off the ceiling w/o a flash bracket. Perhaps the smallest Nissin is the best option. I will look out for any other suggestions.

Dec 28, 2016 at 01:42 PM
jwin
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

Nissin may be the first to tackle radio TTL triggers for the Micro Four Third with the Air 1 system. Has anyone tried them yet? Micro Four third commander for MFT is now available on Amazon and other big retailers.

If Nissin ever updates i40 model into i40a(with built-in radio trigger receiver) to work with Nissin Air 1 commander, it would be really neat. As of now, there are two Nissin units with built-in radio receivers, i60a and i700a, both larger and more output than i40 model.

I am considering trying out the i700a along with the Air 1 commander for the Micro Four Third, unless Nissin also releases Nissin Air 1 receiver module for the micro four third soon, then any old Oly flash should become a radio wireless TTL flash for MFT system.

Dec 29, 2016 at 01:55 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

Wow ... I had no idea that the Air 1 Commander for m43 is now available! I had been waiting for this since got the i60A speedlite more than 2 months ago. Need to order this so I can shoot with the flash off-camera.

jwin wrote:
Nissin may be the first to tackle radio TTL triggers for the Micro Four Third with the Air 1 system. Has anyone tried them yet? Micro Four third commander for MFT is now available on Amazon and other big retailers.

If Nissin ever updates i40 model into i40a(with built-in radio trigger receiver) to work with Nissin Air 1 commander, it would be really neat. As of now, there are two Nissin units with built-in radio receivers, i60a and i700a, both larger and more output than i40 model.

I am considering trying out the i700a along with the Air 1 commander for
...Show more

Dec 29, 2016 at 02:42 PM
jwin
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

Yeah, MFT release is the big news. The same system for Sony, Canon and Nikon is also available. Also good news for Sony shooters. For Canon and Nikon, there are plenty of other usable alternatives.

Dec 29, 2016 at 03:03 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

jwin wrote:

Yes, an i40a would be perfect for the GM-5 radio-controlled triggering with TTL metering is a very cool development.

Jan 02, 2017 at 12:25 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

I had the Di700A for Sony. It's a BIG flash. The i60A is a newer and smaller/lighter unit that is just as powerful if not more so. It is also a lot more user-friendly - the controls are very similar to the i40. I would recommend the i40 to those who only use the flash on-camera and the i60A to those who plan on using it wirelessly off-camera.

jwin wrote:

I am considering trying out the i700a along with the Air 1 commander for
...Show more

Jan 02, 2017 at 02:01 PM
estrellas321
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

If you're looking for a very portable solution, you may consider the Olympus FL-LM3 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1118048-REG/olympus_v326150bw000_fl_lm3_flash.html/pcur/CAD?gclid=Cj0KEQiAtK3DBRCBxt-Yxduq5p4BEiQAbFiaPeOfcDKthAl96ED_3k4AL6CUiDta5rcfF53gPrwR1MYaAus18P8HAQ#!?BI=573¤cy=CAD&c3api=6329,109213531033

I love using mine. It tilts, swivels, and outputs a decent amount of power for small spaces. And it's tiny and uses camera power.

The only thing is you'll need to file the front part of the mount down to fit the Panasonic bodies, as it was meant for Olympus bodies. I'm 99% sure it works on the GM5; it just needs the 5th pin or whatever on the hotshoe mount, which I believe is on the GM5/LX100/GX8/GX85 models. Basically, if the included Panasonic external flash that came with the GM5 will work, then the Olympus FL-LM3 will work.

Jan 03, 2017 at 04:10 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

Another alternative, one that I haven't tried, is the Metz M400. I haven't been able to find a review yet, but when it comes to features and size, it seems to sit between the two Nissin models, i40 and i60 with the same output as the i40 but faster recycling time.

Jan 03, 2017 at 07:41 PM
SkippyW
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flash suggestions for GM-5

I became increasingly frustrated with TTL flash for the type of work I shoot.

When I switched from Canon to Panasonic, I ended up going to manual flash as a last resort, but can honestly say I have no regrets.

I have several Sunpaks with variable power I use on camera and off with Cactus triggers.

In practice, it's no harder than using the +/- for bad TTL exposures, and I can usually get the shot dialed in with 1 or 2 shots, if not on the first one. I shoot weddings all the time with very predictable results.

I'd suggest anyone give it a try for a day and see how easy it can be. Then you don't have to spend hundreds on a flash. You can pick up inexpensive manual flashes under $100.

Jan 06, 2017 at 10:40 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.