New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Nikon Ultrawides

acnomad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Nikon Ultrawides

I got a Laowa 12mm f/2.8 through Kickstarter. I don't have any Nikon ultrawide primes (or zooms, for that matter), and I'm curious to know if anyone has had a chance to form an opinion about the Laowa compared to Nikon's offerings. Here are some samples from my copy of the Laowa:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/acnomad/i11En0

Dec 26, 2016 at 01:07 PM
ariot
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Nikon Ultrawides

The 14-24 is damn near legendary, and I figure it is worth the coin for those who need or want it. That's probably what Nikon wants too. I also figure that's the comparison, 14-24 vs. whatever else you can mount.

14-24 f/2.8 and the 14 mm f2.8 D are both a bit over 1800 new.
Next is the 16-35 F4 (takes filters easily at 77mm) at 1K new.

Then there's the rest, filling up the gap in the lineup *outside of T/S and fisheye

Laowa, Rokinon (I have the 14mm f2.8) and Irix

I supposed if I worked UWA, I'd go ahead and get the 14-24 and a fancy filter kit. But to have a special purpose UWA for giggles and grins, I say go for the less costly options.

Dec 26, 2016 at 04:09 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Nikon Ultrawides

acnomad wrote:
I got a Laowa 12mm f/2.8 through Kickstarter. I don't have any Nikon ultrawide primes (or zooms, for that matter), and I'm curious to know if anyone has had a chance to form an opinion about the Laowa compared to Nikon's offerings. Here are some samples from my copy of the Laowa:

The Magic Shift Adapter is now on "pre-order".

Harold

Jul 10, 2017 at 02:31 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Nikon Ultrawides

acnomad wrote:

I am surprised at how many of your sample shots have soft mushy corners. Did you not focus properly? I had read if you are too close to subjects that the Laowa 12mm mushes the corners, I guess that is true?

I had looked at it a bit for use in night shooting of the stars, but from what little I was able to find on it, the corners are not good at all on the 12mm Laowa. Which is sad, because I had liked the idea of what they were presenting.

Jim

PS. Nikon doesn't have a 12mm lens, so not sure you could get a true comparison.

Jul 10, 2017 at 02:36 PM
acnomad
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Nikon Ultrawides

Jim,

In case you're interested, I just added a couple night sky images to the album linked above. Even a cursory review probably confirms what you've already determined. Far from perfect in the corners, with visible coma.

Andy

Jul 11, 2017 at 07:44 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Nikon Ultrawides

acnomad wrote:
Jim,

In case you're interested, I just added a couple night sky images to the album linked above. Even a cursory review probably confirms what you've already determined. Far from perfect in the corners, with visible coma.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy. Anyway to get a 100% crop of one of the corners?

I wonder if cropping down to 14mm removes the trouble areas? I wouldn't mind that personally. That would give you still the greater DOF of the 12mm (which would be handy shooting stars with foreground objects) and the FOV of a 14mm which isn't bad at all.

This lens is totally all manual correct? Its not like the Samyangs for Nikon where we have the electrical connectors for reading Aperture info?

Jim

Jul 12, 2017 at 01:04 AM
acnomad
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Nikon Ultrawides

Yes, it's all manual with no electrical communication to the body. If you want to PM your address, I can email some raw files for you to examine and crop.

Jul 12, 2017 at 08:46 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Nikon Ultrawides

I have just posted some car images (m43/) in the Alternative Gear forum.

Harold

Jul 12, 2017 at 08:55 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Nikon Ultrawides

The Nikon a.i. version of the Laowa Magic Shift Adapter (for 12mm) is about to be sent to me.

Harold

Dec 05, 2017 at 06:29 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Nikon Ultrawides

My choice is the new Sigma 14mm f1.8A. There's nothing else like it.

Kent in SD

Dec 05, 2017 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.