New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Help me decide m4/3 or FE?

RobCD
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Help me decide m4/3 or FE?

notherenow wrote:
Swings and roundabouts!

The 12-100 would be a better lens but the A7 has a better sensor. Image quality will be ok with both. The 12-100 would be a very nice combination with the latest M4/3 cameras though.

Personally, I would prefer the A7 (now A7s) with primes mainly (and primes on my GX7 too where possible). I am not really a fan of that Sony lens but it seems ok.

If someone prefers M4/3 there is no need to justify it, get what you like.

I was just pointing out that those saying there was a significant size difference in some of
...Show more

Hmmmm..... how to answer without getting pulled too far into the comparisons . I'll just say that I agree that the sensor has to be taken into consideration but if a lens on the smaller sensor is much better it will diminish the advantage of the other sensor which means that it shouldn't really matter if they are similar in size because they are similar in performance. Put a lens on the micro 4/3 camera that is comparable to the 24-240 and the full sensor advantage should be there and thus the size advantage of micro 4/3 should also be there.

Dec 29, 2016 at 05:27 AM
notherenow
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Help me decide m4/3 or FE?

RobCD wrote:
Hmmmm..... how to answer without getting pulled too far into the comparisons . I'll just say that I agree that the sensor has to be taken into consideration but if a lens on the smaller sensor is much better it will diminish the advantage of the other sensor which means that it shouldn't really matter if they are similar in size because they are similar in performance. Put a lens on the micro 4/3 camera that is comparable to the 24-240 and the full sensor advantage should be there and thus the size advantage of micro 4/3 should also
...Show more

I agree. That is what I am saying. The OP was asking about the 12-100 lens on an M4/3 camera against the 24-240 lens on his existing A7, some were saying the M4/3 had size benefits for those combinations, they don't.

There isn't going to be a huge difference between them for image quality (the M4/3 combination may well be a little better even and again, I don't like the 24-240). The Sony has a better sensor, the 12-100 is a better lens. The OP's current lenses are both better than that 24-240.

There are other things in favour of each of those lenses though, The Sony has longer reach, better DOF control and is cheaper, The Oly is weather sealed and well made.

But you can always put a better lens on the A7 too. Not all lenses for Sony are huge, not all are small. My A7s (and A7 before) are very nice for image quality with my Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 and same with the Canon17mm TS-E (which I don't like on the GX7).

As I said, M4/3 CAN have advantages in size, but the OP doesn't get any huge advantage in changing for those combintions. As I said, my M4/3 kit lens on my GX7 is a lot smaller than my FE kit lens but there are trade offs (both ways)

I mainly have sold off my M4/3 lenses and now use the same Canon lenses for the most part adapted to both M4/3 and FF Sony because I WANT a different angle of view.

Of course if he WANTS to change, that is an entirely different thing and I would happily recommend that if that was what was wanted.

Dec 29, 2016 at 06:19 AM
hosma

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Help me decide m4/3 or FE?

Back and forth, back and forth. Just as when I think about it :-)

Anyway thanks for the input everyone. I will purchase an E-M1 with any lens (or just borrow some) and will decide if I will keep it and invest into the 12-100. Hopefully more reviews of it will be online by then.

Dec 29, 2016 at 04:54 PM
fenomeno

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Help me decide m4/3 or FE?

Try reading Ming Thein's review of the EM1 mk2 tested with the 12-100. He has praise for the 12-100 and thinks it an excellent choice. "If you asked me today, for somebody starting out, what would be a decent single wide-envelope-do-it-all-under-all-conditions camera and lens combination Id probably have to go with the E-M1 Mark II and the 12-100..."

Not that this is the answer, but his perspective on these formats is interesting. Especially interesting is his comment regarding excellent IBIS and the ability to shoot at lower ISO compared to some full frame cameras (Nikon D750 was his example) in which the higher ISO ratings would offset some of the FF image quality, especially with the new IBIS of the EM1 mk2.

You have great responses already, just thought you would want to read more as you were looking for more information out there.

You can also read Steve Huff's review of the 12-100 (he was impressed), though I find a lot of hyperbole in his review writing. But hey, he gets excited by the gear, presumably, like all hobbyists do... so can you blame him?

Good luck.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:23 PM
hosma

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Help me decide m4/3 or FE?

fenomeno wrote:

Read Ming Theins article, he is convincing ...

As you say, Steve Huff is impressed by most lenses, so I don't really pay attention to his reviews. Anyway just purchased E-M1 on ebay, will use my wife's lenses to see how I like it.

Dec 31, 2016 at 09:49 AM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password