New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

Well I use my Wacom tablet when editing photos in lr and ps. I have a hard time making fine tuned adjustments with the pen however. I'm on the list for the loupedeck when it comes out this summer which should help with this. It got me to thinking that a jog wheel in conjunction with the tablet might work in the mean time and they're cheap compared to a midi setup. The jog wheel has several limited function turn rt turn left press and turn rt press and turn lt press and press and hold. I was thinking of setting it up so the press was go to next adjustment, turn would make major adjustments press and turn fine adjustment s and press and hold to go back to the top for lightroom. I think it will make my workflow faster using it in the left hang the pen in the right making selections when needed and other mouse functions.

Has anyone tried this?

Dec 25, 2016 at 12:31 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

It works Great.

Dec 25, 2016 at 08:06 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

No one interested

Feb 01, 2017 at 08:08 PM
cope07
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

I'm interested. Exactly how does it work out in Lightroom.? Do you hover with the pen and then turn the knob or does pressing the knob to go between adjustments work well?

Feb 04, 2017 at 04:41 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

Pressing the jog wheel switches adjustments turning it adjusted the slider tap and hold resets the focus of the jog to the first slider is how I have setup. You can set it any way you want its mapped like a Wacom tablet. I use it with my Wacom cintiq actually jog wheel in lt hand pen in rt. Use the pen for selection and the stuff above the basics tab then the jog for the basics sliders then back to the pen below the basic tab is my wf.

Feb 04, 2017 at 09:33 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

too bad it's so hardcoded to lightroom...

Feb 06, 2017 at 12:00 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

I opted for something a bit more versatile that can be applied to more than just photo editing, yet keep things much more simplistic compared to the 'gobs of knobs' approach some others have pursued for Lightroom editing.

I have been editing much more video in the past couple of years and really wanted to find a jog/shuttle solution to simplify my NLE workflow. Using a mouse or touch pad for fine-tuning edits was less than desirable compared to what I had used back in the Olden Days of tape decks. I found the Contour Design ShuttleXpress ($59) to work very well for that.

It has the normal jog/shuttle dials as well as 5 other buttons that can be programmed to whatever commands the individual user requires and comes with packaged configurations for almost all the popular video, photo and even word processing apps ... all those presets can be customized or even create totally new sets. The buttons can also be configured to run more complex macros instead of the usual keyboard commands.

They also make a big brother version, ShuttlePRO v2 - $99) that has 15 buttons along with the jog/shuttle, but I thought for my needs that was overkill. I like to keep things simple.

As it turns out, when I was setting up the device for Final Cut Pro X, It already has a configuration for Lightroom and Photoshop. I wasn't to impressed with the defaults for Lightroom so I made some changes to suit my needs.

Best part, you can configure the device for all you different apps and when you switch apps, the device is aware of the change and honors the desired configuration.

There is one caveat for working in Lightroom in the Develop module in the manner I have chosen, the most efficient method is actually using a two-hand method. ShuttleXpress in left hand and mouse/touch pad/pen tablet in the right hand. For any slider in Lr Develop module, if you place the cursor over any slider, you can adjust the slider with the jog wheel. When you move to the next image, the jog wheel does not require being reset back to a neutral point.

In Lightroom, even though the jog wheel can adjust the desired slider in Develop, when in the Library module, the jog will navigate columns of images vertically and the shuttle dial will navigate rows horizontally (with wrap-around). Quite neat that it recognizes the currently used module.

I've only been working with it a relatively short period, but so far I really like it.

The devices are available at all the usual online retailers but here is the manufacturer's site:

http://www.contourdesign.com/US/product/shuttlexpress/

Feb 06, 2017 at 02:56 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

if the contourdesign was bluetooth I'd be more interested. Surely someone makes a bluetooth type of interface similar to that?

Feb 08, 2017 at 11:35 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

jzucker wrote:
if the contourdesign was bluetooth I'd be more interested. Surely someone makes a bluetooth type of interface similar to that?

I've not seen anything similar using bluetooth ... since I only use this when working in the office, USB isn't a problem.

Feb 08, 2017 at 11:47 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

i don't need this except when working on my surface. In the office, I have the wheel on my wacom

Feb 09, 2017 at 07:11 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

jzucker wrote:
too bad it's so hardcoded to lightroom...

It's not there's an app like Wacom that allows you define what it does in each app plus the default charistics

This is just a temp and travel solution since I'll be getting a loupedeck this summer when the supporters get them.

Feb 09, 2017 at 03:29 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

jzucker wrote:
i don't need this except when working on my surface. In the office, I have the wheel on my wacom

J,

Have you ever gotten the Wacom wheel to work for you? Mine either zooms wild wide or small and the other poles don't seem to respond correctly. The click-pick seems difficult to program. It's like I can't really slide around the thing. How do you did it?

Robert

Feb 09, 2017 at 05:26 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Griffin powerport jog wheel

my wheel works fine. I use it strictly for brush sizing. Wish I had it on my surface. I'm surprised nobody has made a popup version on-screen

Feb 09, 2017 at 10:12 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.