New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Am currently on vacation with my new 80D (brought the family along too)

The rear inner controller is sticky on the right-press, that is I can move to the previous image but not the next one, the right hand one only works some of the time. It will move one or two times then stop, if I hold down the left side images flash through, on the right, nothing happens.

This also applies to setting things like microadjustment but interestingly not to things like direct setting of the AF point, or a right push to move to the erase button, or going side to side through menus, which work perfectly, leading me to think the button isn't actually faulty. I stress I have not once had an issue going through a menu or with an AF point this is, as far as I can see only affecting playback and MA, so if all 80D's do it I expect it will be fixed via firmware

As this is is intermittant and only on certain things is this a bug? Obviously I have tried to clear it with hard pressing etc but to no avail.

The IQ so far seems very similar to my 70D but I'm still testing.

Could some kind 80D owner try and flick through some RAW images on the rear LCD or change an MA setting and see if theirs is sticky going to the right (that is to the next image)?

This is specifically with the button press, not the rotating dial and only to the right, the left side is fine
TIA

Dec 24, 2016 at 01:01 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Hi DH, I think mine is behaving the same way. I've never used the inner controller to move back and forth with images before so I just tried it. Using the left side it steps back consistently but the right side is inconsistent in its action. I've always used the outer rotating ring to move forward and backward through my images and this works well. If I zoom in to an image the inner controller works as expected in all four directions to navigate the zoomed view.

Also, the touch screen works well. You can swipe left or right to move to the next or previous image. And you can pinch or spread to zoom out or in. Once zoomed in you can drag the image around. Just like my iPad. I don't always remember the touch capability but its nice when I do. Enjoy your vacation.

Haven't tried the MA yet but there are probably alternatives as well.

Edited on Dec 24, 2016 at 03:28 PM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2016 at 03:09 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Thanks Jeff

Do me one more favour, try the micro adjust and see if it is sticky as well (to the right only), mine definitely is

Dec 24, 2016 at 03:18 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Well, the right clicker is finicky just scrolling through the 16 AF custom functions. Left works consistently but right not. I was scrolling back and forth with it and it started working towards the right so I chose MA and used it to set the MA setting and it worked consistently. ?? I cancelled out of there and back to the AF custom function menu and it went back to inconsistency. However, the outer rotating wheel has been working as an alternative to all these operations. Probably why I never noticed this before.

Does the wheel work for you?

Edit: Went back and tried again with the left direction not working to scroll through AF custom function options it is still working consistently within the MA option to increase/decrease the adjustment amount (under the same for all lenses option). You can tell I haven't MAed my lenses on this body. So we're showing similar but not the same problems. I think the scroll wheel is more convenient, even than touch, for these operations anyway.

Dec 24, 2016 at 03:36 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Yes the wheel works perfectly and the right side press works as I said above - for all the shooting functions

I wanted to check if they were all the same or mine is odd

Dec 24, 2016 at 03:45 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Now that we've confirmed that there are at least two of us we should send a bug report to Canon. I'm a US CPS member so I can call them after the holidays, especially if a few more people are having similar issues.

At least you're still operational.

Dec 24, 2016 at 03:49 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Now that we've confirmed that there are at least two of us we should send a bug report to Canon. I'm a US CPS member so I can call them after the holidays, especially if a few more people are having similar issues.

At least you're still operational.

Well this is the first camera that I have noticed this on but I'm surprised it hasn't been noticed before.

I am away for a while but would like to know what Canon say

Yes the camera is perfectly functional although I've yet to see much to convince me it's better than the 70D

Dec 24, 2016 at 03:56 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

I think the image files are a bit more forgiving but it was the deeper raw buffer, f8 AF, and 60p video that convinced me. And that I liked the 70D so much, it was a fine camera. If I upgrade my 5D3 to the 4 this next year I expect the improvements will be equally subtle despite all the rave reviews its receiving right now.

Dec 24, 2016 at 04:08 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I think the image files are a bit more forgiving but it was the deeper raw buffer, f8 AF, and 60p video that convinced me. And that I liked the 70D so much, it was a fine camera. If I upgrade my 5D3 to the 4 this next year I expect the improvements will be equally subtle despite all the rave reviews its receiving right now.

None of those affect me at all, probably why I'm seeing no improvement

Would really appreciate some other testers to see if this is isolated

Dec 24, 2016 at 04:11 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

I have an 80D I preordered last March so it's early production (latest FW). I normally use the QCD or finger swipes to flip between pics during a chimp session. SO I just tried the inner rocker switch and it works fine in both directions, I.e., no difference in pressure or angle need for it to advance or regress mages or menu setttigs.

Dec 24, 2016 at 06:30 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Gochugogi wrote:
I have an 80D I preordered last March so it's early production (latest FW). I normally use the QCD or finger swipes to flip between pics during a chimp session. SO I just tried the inner rocker switch and it works fine in both directions, I.e., no difference in pressure or angle need for it to advance or regress mages or menu setttigs.

So mine is definitely faulty (as is Jeff's), thanks

Dec 25, 2016 at 01:30 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

I'm surprised how little interest there is in this thread, I would have thought most 80D owners would have wanted to check this out

Dec 26, 2016 at 03:44 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

The 80D is a popular camera but Christmas and travel probably thinned out the herd.

Dec 26, 2016 at 05:41 AM
erielake
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

got one about a week ago from the refurb store and it works as it should....no sticking or jumping

Dec 26, 2016 at 07:11 AM
Ischgl99
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Mine is a refub I bought a month ago and it works fine, sounds like yours is not functioning normal.

Dec 26, 2016 at 08:54 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Ischgl99 wrote:
Mine is a refub I bought a month ago and it works fine, sounds like yours is not functioning normal.

No I don't think it is, thanks for checking

Dec 26, 2016 at 02:54 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Just saw this thread. I recently got a refurb 80D, so I checked. Mine seems to function normally; I don't notice any reluctance like you described, in either direction. I tried it both in the menus and in image review, and no problems at all.

Dec 26, 2016 at 03:47 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 80D Firmware bug? need help please

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Just saw this thread. I recently got a refurb 80D, so I checked. Mine seems to function normally; I don't notice any reluctance like you described, in either direction. I tried it both in the menus and in image review, and no problems at all.

Thanks, another passes the test

Dec 26, 2016 at 03:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.