RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flowers on the Asphalt

ben egbert wrote:
A tale of two butts :-)

Or did you mean "tail".
1960's called ...

Serendipitous, but I'm looking at the shadows ... two bodies with no head, one head with no body.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:14 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flowers on the Asphalt

Come on guys. I need something more. I have absolutely no clue about any intent, message or reason anyone would take or post this. Try as I might, I just don't ever seem to get street photography although I do see the street.

Dec 24, 2016 at 01:03 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flowers on the Asphalt

RustyBug wrote:
Or did you mean "tail".
1960's called ...

Serendipitous, but I'm looking at the shadows ... two bodies with no head, one head with no body.

Butt I''m focusing on the important elements. 😀
Steve

Dec 24, 2016 at 01:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flowers on the Asphalt

Camperjim wrote:
Come on guys. I need something more. I have absolutely no clue about any intent, message or reason anyone would take or post this. Try as I might, I just don't ever seem to get street photography although I do see the street.

I came up a bit short on this one too @ rationale eludes me (similar to my @ fish / foul) ... so, I was just funnin' a bit on the verbiage.

Dec 24, 2016 at 01:39 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flowers on the Asphalt

Camperjim wrote:

All kidding aside, on one hand, a little poking fun at ladies fashions. On a little deeper level, the fact that many people dress in public to be noticed, for a host of reasons, and that my shadowed face is a representation of that perception. The wild tight pants, the hands on butt, the body language of the arms, the white lined pathway as a metaphor, all things that I noticed and resonated with me.

Street photography at it's best speaks about people. Here's a quote that I like that simply explains Street Photography. I'm not sure who wrote it, but it's called the "Street Photographer's Credo":

"Street photographers use the theatre of the street as their subject matter, transforming the pathos, tension, mystery, and inadvertent humor of real life into images of drama and insight into the human condition."

Steve

Dec 24, 2016 at 01:43 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flowers on the Asphalt

Found the article that the above quote is from. It gives a detailed discussion about street photography as an art form and might be of interest to some:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0708/p12s01-alar.html

Dec 24, 2016 at 01:48 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flowers on the Asphalt

Whoa....pathos, tension, mystery, humor, drama....now I am more lost than ever. Which of these are captured? The human condition and a metaphor! Way beyond me. I am trying to understand and don't mean to sound critical, but I remain lost.

Dec 24, 2016 at 02:08 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flowers on the Asphalt

Camperjim wrote:
Whoa....pathos, tension, mystery, humor, drama....now I am more lost than ever. Which of these are captured? The human condition and a metaphor! Way beyond me. I am trying to understand and don't mean to sound critical, but I remain lost.

I've seen your work, and you are a bright and talented landscape photographer. Other areas of photography may not interest you, and that should not make you feel any less accomplished, professional, or sophisticated. For most of us photography is an artistic passion, not a source for making money. Enjoy what you do and do best and don't fret.

Steve

Dec 24, 2016 at 02:22 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flowers on the Asphalt

I am lost most of the time, I saw Andy Warhol's soup can at the Chicago Art Institute and was not interested. Same for B&W, or abstracts or many others. But just because I don't get it, does not mean nothing is there, just a different way my brain is wired.

I have been following Steve's series and trying to find something that catches my eye, most times I don't really get it, but over time, they make more and more sense. Probably an acquired taste, the only way to acquire a taste is to keep sampling the menu.

Dec 24, 2016 at 02:38 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flowers on the Asphalt

eeneryma wrote:
I've seen your work, and you are a bright and talented landscape photographer. Other areas of photography may not interest you, and that should not make you feel any less accomplished, professional, or sophisticated. For most of us photography is an artistic passion, not a source for making money. Enjoy what you do and do best and don't fret.

Steve

Thanks, but I have been trying to expand my interests. I actually have not taken more than a handful of landscape images in the past year. Mostly botanicals. Actually, for the past several months most of my work has been in charcoal and pastels.

Thanks for the link, it helped.

Dec 24, 2016 at 03:00 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flowers on the Asphalt

Camperjim wrote:
Thanks, but I have been trying to expand my interests. I actually have not taken more than a handful of landscape images in the past year. Mostly botanicals. Actually, for the past several months most of my work has been in charcoal and pastels.

Thanks for the link, it helped.

Would love to see more of your botanicals. And if you feel comfortable why not photograph your charcoals and pastels and show us. Many of the greatest photographers were also artists. A few that come to mind are Cartier Bresson, Steichen, Eggleston, etc.

Steve

Dec 24, 2016 at 03:14 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flowers on the Asphalt

Sorry I have nothing but a bad cellphone picture taken in low light but with lots of reflections off the glazing:

Dec 24, 2016 at 04:10 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Flowers on the Asphalt

Found another one. After the holidays I will photograph my recent collection. I will be submitting some for exhibitions/galleries.

Dec 24, 2016 at 04:23 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Flowers on the Asphalt

Nice work Jim, guess you don't need to worry about DR or halos:-)

I did some painting when I was in my 20's but never could get the colors right. I hoped photography would solve that, but I guess not.

Dec 24, 2016 at 04:53 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Flowers on the Asphalt

Beautiful work JIm!!!

Steve

Dec 24, 2016 at 05:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Flowers on the Asphalt

Some of us (self) can't draw a stick man with a ruler (thus a camera) ... obviously others of us can.

Dec 24, 2016 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.