New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Who many lighting units

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Who many lighting units

Ok first a lighting unit imo is a key light whether it's a single studio strobe or one or more speedlites.

With that in mind for the biggest lighting setup for a one to four subjects ? Key, fill, bg, hair and separation is all I can come up with sure you cabin probably double the highlight and separation lights on some setups but then will you still be using the three basics key, fill and bg at that time. I'm thinking setting up five units will be tops under the right situation. S

So how many units of lights do you normally use and what is the max number you can setup if needed and will any of those be your backup lights?

Dec 24, 2016 at 01:53 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Who many lighting units

I've used 6 strobes on headshots with a studio background, other times just 1.

Most I ever used on a video interview was 10 (well, 9 lights and a reflector). Looked lovely - but maybe a little over the top...

Dec 24, 2016 at 03:59 AM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Who many lighting units

Most I've ever used was 6 for a setup, and I needed 7 at the time (only had 6 on hand). That was an extremely rare case though, and more often than not 1-3 lights and a v-flat or collapsible reflector will suffice. This is all for one subject; rarely do I shoot more than one in studio. Currently I have 4 speedotron heads, and I guess in a pinch I could add my elinchrom ranger quadra if I needed a 5th. None are backups (Elinchrom is just for location stuff), but I do intend to get a 5th Speedo and 2nd Elinchrom head for backups.

I've talked to some playboy models and heard stories of their lighting setups, usually dozens of them lighting all manner of things; mostly background but also specific lighting for rather "specific" areas on the women as well lol

Dec 24, 2016 at 06:09 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Who many lighting units

Including specialty fixtures, I have 7 studio lights and enough ports to operate 5 simultaneously. Maximum ever used was 4, but 1-2 typically serve the purpose with a generous helping of reflectors. Larger-scale location work, architecture and interiors would call for many lights to cover the space and provide accents, but I don't shoot such things.

One Speedlight can provide key, fill and a white background.

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:02 AM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Who many lighting units

So how many units of lights do you normally use. One, with a bounce fill. I find hair and separation lights, to be old-fashioned. They were invented for use with B&W film, color normally need no separation . Background is usually lit by the key. An angled single key will produce a background that tapers from light gray to a darker gray (maybe black). Because one-size doesn't fit all, sometimes I'll use two (maybe more), plus maybe adding mirrors to the bounce.

...and what is the max number you can setup if needed and will any of those be your backup light. How many does the rental house have

Dec 24, 2016 at 02:29 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Who many lighting units

Why not one light per person, plus one fill plus one hair light per person, plus one for background - or four(?) plus some for foreground?

Maybe 18-20?

Dec 24, 2016 at 07:13 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Who many lighting units

Michael White wrote:
With that in mind for the biggest lighting setup for a one to four subjects ? Key, fill, bg, hair and separation is all I can come up with

Five light sources is the traditional portrait setup, which you have nailed.

As for the "biggest" setup, I note that the Cybersync Commander can control 16 different groups.

Dec 24, 2016 at 09:40 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Who many lighting units

I agree that Architecture photography does require many more lights that portrait type photography or most other photography. Five seems to be the normal for most beside it and large group photography.

Dec 25, 2016 at 12:16 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.