Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

PhotoMaximum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

My wife bought me this very cool antique wooden surveyor's tripod that someone converted into a lamp. It came with a cheesy lamp and shade though.

I just purchased an old focuseable Mole Richardson spot light with fresnel lens, ect. It looks very cool. It also works; puts out a good amount of light. Problem is that it gets super hot and is probably using a lot of electricity.

I am going to look into replacing the tungsten bulb with a new bright LED bulb which will stay cool. I hope to use a dimmer as well, keep this light on the wood tripod as a room decor object but also use for actual photography every now and then.

Any suggestions here?

Thanks in advance...

Dec 23, 2016 at 06:18 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

If you want a talking piece that can take the occasional photo, how about a flash-powder bracket? Should match perfectly with that surveyer's tripod.

Dec 23, 2016 at 06:45 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

rico wrote:
If you want a talking piece that can take the occasional photo, how about a flash-powder bracket? Should match perfectly with that surveyer's tripod.

Sounds good! Mind if I test the flash powder at your place?

Dec 23, 2016 at 07:38 PM
cwebster
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

I doubt you can get enough light out of it with an LED to do photography, but as a decor lamp you should be able to change the socket and put in a 8-13 W LED lamp.

To get it to focus and create a beam, like the original, you'll have to mount the new socket so the center of the LED lamp lines up where the center of the existing incandescent lamp is now.

Dec 23, 2016 at 07:44 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

I plan on taking this apart for cleaning and inspection this afternoon.

I did a quick test shot with the vintage Mole last night, using a Telex f/1.2 projector lens project I am working on. I put the light in front of the metal chair back plus added a wooden decorative asian screen.

The light is "interesting", it focus (sort of), and is quite bright. But the massive heat is a deal killer...

Dec 23, 2016 at 07:52 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

cwebster wrote:
I doubt you can get enough light out of it with an LED to do photography, but as a decor lamp you should be able to change the socket and put in a 8-13 W LED lamp.

To get it to focus and create a beam, like the original, you'll have to mount the new socket so the center of the LED lamp lines up where the center of the existing incandescent lamp is now.

I think you are totally correct here. This bulb is bright but really small. Any LED bulb with decent light output is going to be much larger?

I guess I could rig up a decent dimmer to the existing lamp so as to turn this light way down which might reduce the heat output as well. This way I could use the light for photography while keeping the focus feature. Or I give up the focus feature and cram some compromise LED bulb in there with lower light output?

This is becoming one of those project creep events...

Dec 23, 2016 at 08:22 PM
neoshazam
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

See if the bulb is compatible with this company
http://visionsmith.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

Dec 23, 2016 at 09:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cwebster
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

neoshazam wrote:
See if the bulb is compatible with this company
http://visionsmith.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

Well, after clicking through about 10 pages, I finally got to the price of those LED replacement lamps. A 1K equivalent lamp is US$695!!!!!!

The tip-off should have been when I read on the front page "ROI in 9 months"

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:13 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

PhotoMaximum wrote:
Sounds good! Mind if I test the flash powder at your place?

No can do. My house is still taped off until the claims adjuster arrives (family Christmas photo).

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:25 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

Here is how it looks so far.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:32 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

PhotoMaximum wrote:
I guess I could rig up a decent dimmer to the existing lamp so as to turn this light way down which might reduce the heat output as well. This way I could use the light for photography while keeping the focus feature. ...

You could more easily swap the halogen bulb to reduce wattage. My (xenon flash) fresnel fixture has a 300W modelling light with similar, if not identical, halogen socket. Bulbs should be available at any hardware store for a few bucks.

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:53 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

That thing looks older than me I spent a lot of time in all of the major studio lighting warehouses (starting in the mid 1970s), and I've never seen one like it. My guess is pre-WW2. All Mole-Richardson light will have a riveted-on plate with the model number, etc. If you give me the model number, I may be able to find out when it was made, etc.

I have a late 1920s 2K, with a plano-convex lens, that someday will be made into a reading light.

BTW M-R 4" diameter lenses are 200watt, 6" are 1000watt, 10" are 2000watt.

BTW2 Hollywood never throws away old lights. When I was working for Walt Disney, in the 1970s, they had a lot of pre-WW2 10K fresnels

Dec 24, 2016 at 04:43 AM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Upgrading vintage Mole Richardson spot light to LED?

I don't see any model number plate? I think this light is quite old as you say. Someone did a good job replacing the electrical cord though: long, thick gauge & high quality. The lens on this one is 6".

For the time being I am going to give up on turning this into an LED lamp. I think I will look into getting a quality dimmer switch instead...

Dec 24, 2016 at 06:54 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password