Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Photo opportunities in North Georgia?

Max_Pain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo opportunities in North Georgia?

My family and I are staying at the Forrest Hills Mountain Resort in Dahlonega, Georgia for 5 days starting next Tuesday. It's a family event, so long or difficult photo locations are not going to be possible. But we want to relax and take in sceneries we don't get down in South Florida, like waterfalls, fall colors, mountain views, some wildlife. That kind of stuff.

I got a few points of interest so far, would love to know if you've been to any of them and they are or are not worth it, and of others I'm missing out on.

Amicalola Falls State Park and the Amicalola waterfall
Gold mines
Chestatee Wildlife Preserve
The North Georgia Zoo
Appalachian Trail
Blue Ridge Wildlife Management Area
Toccoa River Swinging Bridge
Chattahoochee National Forest
Helen, GA
Brasstown Bald
Stone Mountain

I would also really love to know the best location nearby for some astrophotography. I would like to try some shots at least one of the nights there. I'll look at a dark sky map on my own, but again, would love to hear from someone familiar with the area.

Thanks.

Edited on Dec 23, 2016 at 04:09 PM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:54 AM
CreationBear
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo opportunities in North Georgia?

That's a beautiful part of the world--I might put Brasstown Bald on your list, though be sure to factor in curvy mountain roads into your travel times. (I'm thinking it ought to have a pretty dark sky as well.) Otherwise, be sure to check the weather forecast--North Georgia gets its share of snow, though December usually isn't as bad as February or even March, here in the Southern Highlands.

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:23 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo opportunities in North Georgia?

Thanks. Looked it up and it sounds very nice and it's only 1.5 hour drive away. Let's see how the family feels about it. What's concerning me is that weather forecast is not looking great. I would love some snow but it seems to be a bit warm and rain is in the forecast.

Dec 23, 2016 at 01:39 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo opportunities in North Georgia?

Helen is a must-see, IMO. It would look very nice with a coat of snow. Lots of waterfalls within easy driving distance. Amicalola is nice, although the stairs can be tough. Depending on the capabilities of your group, you may want to avoid them. Google "N Ga Waterfalls" and get lots of info, photos to help you decide which ones to visit.

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:42 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo opportunities in North Georgia?

If you're willing to descend and climb a lot of stairs, you might want to check out Tallulah Gorge State Park about an hour to the east.

Dec 26, 2016 at 07:40 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo opportunities in North Georgia?

Thanks for the suggestions. We're leaving tomorrow morning! Already got some nice ideas.

As far as capabilities of the group - not much. I have my 1 year old son and two elderly grandparents along. While my wife and I are good to go anywhere, they'll be the determining factor on where we can go and what we can do. We'll see

Dec 26, 2016 at 09:00 PM
shekarn64
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo opportunities in North Georgia?

Another great falls is Minnahaha falls. Very easy to get there and only few yards from the parking lot.

http://www.georgiatrails.com/gt/minnehaha_falls

Dec 28, 2016 at 03:17 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo opportunities in North Georgia?

Thanks everyone. Due to making things work out for a baby and two elderly folks, we weren't able to cover everything, but we did get to go to:

- Amicalola Falls State Park, Lodge, and Falls (top and bottom)
- Helen
- Anna Ruby Falls
- Brasstown Bald for astro (cold and ridiculous wind)
- Zoo Atlanta
- Gold mine tour and panning
- a bunch of touristy stuff in Dahnolega

Four days and five nights just simply isn't enough time in a place like this. We had a great time but still have a ton to see and do at another trip.

Jan 02, 2017 at 12:03 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.