Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              14       15       end

Archive 2016 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

RoyC
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Bill Graham wrote:
!!!

I could have done the same thing for the Fox.

Jun 13, 2017 at 06:30 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Seems like Moose happy to be sharp!

Jun 20, 2017 at 05:33 AM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Big THANKS to Keith Williamson, Howard Kearley, and Cohenfive for your advice, recommendation and tips on the lens. I pulled the trigger and picked one up from Richard Cohen. I am loving it. Taken over the weekend. Amazing glass and works extremely well with the 14eTC III.

Bare lens and 1.25etc require no focus adjustment and only minimal with the 14eTC.

Edited on Aug 12, 2017 at 12:52 AM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2017 at 11:35 PM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

sweet shots with the new toy!
Have fun.

Howard

Aug 08, 2017 at 02:06 AM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Sep 02, 2017 at 12:51 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Thang wrote:
Big THANKS to Keith Williamson, Howard Kearley, and Cohenfive for your advice, recommendation and tips on the lens. I pulled the trigger and picked one up from Richard Cohen. I am loving it. Taken over the weekend. Amazing glass and works extremely well with the 14eTC III.

Bare lens and 1.25etc require no focus adjustment and only minimal with the 14eTC.

Not sure what the problem is, but most of those shots look soft to me, especially considering the cost and quality of that lens. Heat shimmer or air pollution maybe?

With a TC and 800mm on a DX body, I would be using a shutter speed of 1/2500 or higher, especially with moving subjects.

Edited on Mar 22, 2018 at 02:29 PM · View previous versions

Sep 02, 2017 at 01:46 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Imagemaster wrote:
Not sure what the problem is, but most of those shots look soft to me, especially considering the cost and quality of that lens. Heat shimmer or air pollution maybe?

With a TC and 800mm on a DX body, I would be using a shutter speed of 1/2500 or higher, especially with moving subjects.

+1

Honestly, I see the same mild softness and wonder if others see it too. This new 800 FL lens is reputed to be among the sharpest super teles in the world. I am not qualified to say what is causing this mild softness. I also suggest 1/2500 but wonder if you might want to raise it to 1/3200. Hope that helps.

Sep 02, 2017 at 03:25 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

If there is any softness in these images, then there could be various reasons for it (e.g., shutter speed, atmospheric effects, and long lens technique, to name a few). Increasing shutter speed may be worth trying. Atmospheric effects should not be ruled out. I use my Nikon 800mm with my D5, occasionally using the matching 1.25x TC. I use my Nikon 500mm with my D500, occasionally using the latest Nikon 1.4x TC. In my experience, I have found that atmospheric effects often degrade images at an (effective) focal length of 1000mm or more. Over time, I have increasingly used my long lenses without TCs – so, 800mm with D5, and 500mm with D500. I put the former on a tripod with gimbal head, and I put the latter on a monopod (and sometimes hand hold the pair). When using the 500mm on the D500, I usually try to keep my speed around 1/2500th of a second. That’s how I shoot with these beasts.
Keith W.

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:17 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Imagemaster wrote:

I would agree with the observation that they aren't showing critical sharpness as they should. But they are nice shots none the less. My guess would be atmosphere shooting over too long of distance. It also could be due to putting 1100mm on a DX body. In my experience I always found when I dug out my 1200mm combo and tried to shoot it on a 7D2 or 5DSR with similar pixel density to the D500 I didn't always get great results. Some of that was technique (i.e. handholding at too low of SS) and also over reaching and still having to crop in. Basically if you still have to do a decent crop on a 1200mm shot you are too far away unless you have perfect atmosphere and perfect technique (tripod usually best).

I will add that they look sharper on my non-5K screen vs my 5K screen and that is almost always the case when viewing images on FM. Anyways I know Thang has good experience with long lenses so I'm waiting to see more from him.

Sep 02, 2017 at 04:22 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

"Anyways I know Thang has good experience with long lenses so I'm waiting to see more from him."

I agree.

I too have noticed his excellent peregrine and grebe work here. Hopefully we will be getting good news on this.

Sep 03, 2017 at 06:34 PM
Bill Graham
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Imagemaster wrote:

I went back through the thread and I agree, there are a lot of images that aren't particularly what I would call critically sharp including the two I posted. I went into Lightroom and the raw images looked sharper than what I saw in Firefox so I opened the .jpg files I uploaded in PS and they looked pretty close considering the .jpg compression. Then I downloaded the files from the forum and they looked like the .jpgs I posted. WTH? Is the browser doing something to my files or are my 60+ -year-old eyes giving up the ghost? I know I'm a year or so overdue for new glasses but I didn't think they were this far gone...

So I uploaded 6 files to Dropbox: the original jpgs I uploaded, the downloaded versions and I went back into Lightroom and exported the .nef files as .tifs. Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n9p9pqo0hod37g5/AABCJ0ZPuNW0ao_9FObT5rNka?dl=0 , download the files and look at them in PS on your monitor, tell me what you think. Please!

I will say the 800 has a steep learning curve. I thought I was doing well with my 400 and 600 even with TCs or on Dx bodies, the 800 takes it to another level. Atmospheric distortion is no longer an annoyance, it becomes a major consideration when you want to use the reach of the lens, even more so using the 1.25 TC. Less than optimal technique and support is quick to show up, same with trying to use astronomical ISOs in the camera. You really need to have your shit together to get the best results from this lens.

That said, sometimes you just want to document where you've been and what you've seen. Is this image critically sharp? By no means, it was shot handheld at 1/640 on the D5. It was an opportunistic shot, no time to haul the tripod and Wimberly out and set up. I wouldn't have gotten it with the 400 or 600 without cropping and that would have made the lack of sharpness more noticeable. But it's a reminder of a memorable trip and I'll treasure the memory. Isn't that what it's all about?

Sep 03, 2017 at 07:45 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

When one is looking at small or relatively small subjects (Birds) that are shot with 800mm +TC1.25 + D500 and we do not know how far away the subject was or how much it has been cropped, you may be fooled as to the actual sharpness of the shot. Here are two copies of the same image, a female Cardinal I shot when doing some AF Fine Tune work with the above combo. The bird is at about 45 feet distance and appears to be reasonably sharp in the this uncropped photo.

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/500/medium/DSC2753_068668.jpg

This second photo is a 100% crop of the same shot. There is plenty of detail in the face but detail drops off very quickly. The focus point, the eye is critically sharp to me. My depth of field chart says the DoF begins and ends at 45 feet.

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/500/medium/DSC2753_068668-2.jpg

As Bill Graham noted, 1000mm focal length on a D500 takes a little getting used to, I agree, in use and image evaluation. I have marked for deletion many an image I thought was a tad soft which were sharp when later cropped into.

I have no knowledge about the bird images in the post above.

Sep 03, 2017 at 10:05 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Bill I agree with you. This lens is capable of taking tack sharp images at very long range (I owned one for a short while), but it does take more getting used to than a shorter lens, and conditions can impact the images more than with a shorter lens. That said, you can't get this reach and potential from anything else made, so in the right, practiced hands it is an incredible, and valuable, tool. I only sold it because for me, I wasn't going to be able to use it enough to justify keeping the capital invested...but for example if I lived near Yellowstone instead of in the bay area, I would never have let it go. It just all depends.

Sep 03, 2017 at 10:20 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:58 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Nice!

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:28 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Here's something a bit different with the Nikon 800mm. Taken with the D850 the other day at the Skagit Wildlife Area. It was almost a full harvest moon.
Keith W.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Things/Birds/i-dW9C5NV/0/a0d162bb/XL/20171003-_D850460-XL.jpg

Oct 06, 2017 at 02:08 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Bald Eagle flying low along the Madison River in YNP. Eagle is returning to a tree from a carcass submerged in the shallows of the river.

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/500/medium/RC77542_00093389.jpg

https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/500/medium/RC77528_00093375.jpg

D5, 800mm + TC 1.25

Oct 17, 2017 at 09:06 AM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Nice eagles! We saw lots of them along the rivers in YS..fall and especially in the winter.

Oct 17, 2017 at 09:42 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

This thread is insane, what an amazing shots..!!

Marcelo

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:41 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.

Lightsearcher wrote:
This thread is insane, what an amazing shots..!!

Marcelo

Thanks!
We all appreciate your and the others' kind comments.

Oct 17, 2017 at 06:20 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.