Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       end
  

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.
  
 
DV613
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


another handheld with D500 and Nikon 800mm 5.6 Bald Eagle heading at the boat decides to put the air brakes on and change direction. Boat was actually traveling toward the bird at about 10mph when this shot was taken.
EXIF 1/4000 F8 ISO 800





Bald Eagle Brunch




Feb 09, 2017 at 05:51 AM
DV613
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


Two last shots with the D500 800mm 5.6 combo. A diving Forsters Tern just before entry and a Portrait of a Great Blue Heron





Forsters Tern







Great Blue Heron




Feb 09, 2017 at 06:14 AM
droaingsong
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


Amazing work. Kudos on that bird dive.


Feb 09, 2017 at 06:26 AM
DV613
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


Thank you...


Feb 09, 2017 at 06:31 AM
MikeW2
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


Cool bird photos.

Even more interesting may be a photo of someone shooting a D500 with 800mm handheld while on a pontoon.



Feb 09, 2017 at 03:47 PM
RoyC
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


MikeW2 wrote:
Cool bird photos.

Even more interesting may be a photo of someone shooting a D500 with 800mm handheld while on a pontoon.


Or better yet, a shot of the face of the insurance agent insuring the D500 + 800mm being handheld from a pontoon.



Feb 09, 2017 at 05:24 PM
DV613
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


On my way to the boat as we speak...and yes I truly do shoot it that way and while the boat is in motion many times. Thanks for the comments...


Feb 09, 2017 at 05:40 PM
DV613
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


We just won't tell them! I did drop a Canonn 500mm F4, Sony A7R II and a metabones adapter over board in another boat though (it's the reason I bought the pontoon!) and they were 2 days old and uninsured...OUCH!


Feb 09, 2017 at 05:42 PM
Blakehfreeman
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


I take photos of my equipment and email my agent after opening the box...can't imagine not insuring this?... 😶

DV613 wrote:
We just won't tell them! I did drop a Canonn 500mm F4, Sony A7R II and a metabones adapter over board in another boat though (it's the reason I bought the pontoon!) and they were 2 days old and uninsured...OUCH!




Feb 09, 2017 at 06:00 PM
Blakehfreeman
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


This is an amazing shot!

DV613 wrote:
another handheld with D500 and Nikon 800mm 5.6 Bald Eagle heading at the boat decides to put the air brakes on and change direction. Boat was actually traveling toward the bird at about 10mph when this shot was taken.
EXIF 1/4000 F8 ISO 800




Feb 09, 2017 at 06:01 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



DV613
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


Thank You Blake


Feb 09, 2017 at 06:34 PM
cohenfive
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


Ok, I have a couple of questions for you guys and gals that have used the 800mm...

I may have the opportunity to buy one of these beasts, for what I believe to be a slightly below market price. Mint used, paperwork, etc. Not half price or anything, but if it is $16k new and $12-13k used, somewhere 10% or so below the used value. I already have the 500mm e and love it. I shoot a lot of wildlife, usually hand held.

I'm wondering just how good is the 800mm, is it worth taking a shot at it since I will easily be able to sell it later and probably make a few bucks, and can you hand hold it at all? Also, if you travel with it, what sort of bag does it fit into and can you carry it on?

Thanks. I've made him an offer, we are about $500 apart and he won't move...but his price is already really good.



Jun 04, 2017 at 12:26 AM
kwilliam8
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


Here are my opinions, based on my personal experience. The Nikon 800mm lens is superb. The matching 1.25x TC does not appear to degrade the quality of the images, although the light loss will affect your AF performance to some extent (going from f/5.6 to f/7.1). I have never taken this lens on an airplane. I store, and sometimes carry, this lens in a LowePro Lens Trekker 600 AW bag. I shoot this lens on a full Wimberley Gimbal Head, mounted on a RRS Versa series 3 tripod. I have the Nikon 500mm e lens, and love both of these lenses. Typically, I use the 500mm with my D500, and the 800mm with my D5. I use these lenses for bird photography. While I can hand hold (for short periods) the 500mm, I can not do hand hold the 800mm (I am 60 years old, btw). I hope this perspective helps you with your decision. Good luck - sounds like a good deal, assuming the lens is in good condition.
Keith W.



Jun 04, 2017 at 12:45 AM
cohenfive
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


Thanks Keith. I am in the SF Bay area, so likely if I had this lens, I would want to travel with it, at least domestically. I handhold the 500e all the time, for pretty long periods of time. I can't remember the last time I had it on my tripod. I do have a big tripod/gimbal set up that I could use as needed. I am the same age as you fwiw....


Jun 04, 2017 at 01:05 AM
RoyC
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


Travel is a snap, get a Pelican Air 1535 roller case. The 800mm plus a lot of other stuff fit. The case goes in the overhead, no issue. At 69 years I can handhold it for a shot, but since I am shooting birds in Florida or wildlife in the Tetons or YNP I have it mounted on a Gitzo 55 series with a WH200 head. Way to much standing and waiting for the action to start to ever think about using it handheld.

As to how good is the 800mm, it is a lot better than my old 500mm G VR and it is very very close to my 400 f2.8 E.

Note: If you get the lens, the lens and TC1.25 will have the same serial number. If you loose break the TC, Nikon USA said to replace the TC, the lens has to go back to Japan.










Jun 04, 2017 at 02:00 AM
cohenfive
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


So I'm still mulling this over. One of the questions I have is if I get the 800, should I sell my 500? Right now I use the 500 e, 1.4x tciii, and have the 80-400 for closer in shots. If I get the beast and sell the 500 that would leave me with a very big gap in focal length. One idea I had was to sell the 500, sell the 80-400, and get a 200-500 to go with the 800. I do need something for those times where the 800 is too much reach, not sure how to fill the gap without getting divorced.


Jun 05, 2017 at 10:02 PM
DV613
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


The 200-500 is a bargain lens and would put some moneyBack into your account if you decide to buy the 800. I recently purchased the sigma 500mm it's an amazing lens I sold my 500 mm nikon And I prefer the Sigma.


Jun 05, 2017 at 10:08 PM
RoyC
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


cohenfive wrote:
So I'm still mulling this over. One of the questions I have is if I get the 800, should I sell my 500? Right now I use the 500 e, 1.4x tciii, and have the 80-400 for closer in shots. If I get the beast and sell the 500 that would leave me with a very big gap in focal length. One idea I had was to sell the 500, sell the 80-400, and get a 200-500 to go with the 800. I do need something for those times where the 800 is too much reach, not sure how to
...Show more

My solution is to own, along with the 800mm, the 400mm f2.8E and the 200-400mm f4 VRII. I have a lot of flexibility with this combo and if I need to narrow the gap between the 400 and 800 I have a TC1.4III to add to the 400mm to give me 550mm f4.

Keeping your 500mm E would be a good idea and with the 1.4 III you will have no real gaps.
I think you will find that the sharpness of the 500mm E and 800mm E will be habit-forming which may lead you away from the zooms.






Jun 05, 2017 at 10:39 PM
Vinnie_VdB
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


kwilliam8 wrote:
Here are my opinions, based on my personal experience. The Nikon 800mm lens is superb. The matching 1.25x TC does not appear to degrade the quality of the images, although the light loss will affect your AF performance to some extent (going from f/5.6 to f/7.1). I have never taken this lens on an airplane. I store, and sometimes carry, this lens in a LowePro Lens Trekker 600 AW bag. I shoot this lens on a full Wimberley Gimbal Head, mounted on a RRS Versa series 3 tripod. I have the Nikon 500mm e lens, and love both of these
...Show more

Keith, you will be the man that can answer a question of mine .
You have a (Nikon) 500mm lens and the beast. Have you ever tried using the 1.25 TC on the 500mm? All documentation do mention that the TC is matching each 800mm individual but hardware wise I can't see any restriction on why you couldn't use this TC on a 500mm.

Thank you for the clarification.



Jun 06, 2017 at 03:20 AM
kwilliam8
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Official thread.


Vinnie_VdB wrote:
Keith, you will be the man that can answer a question of mine .
You have a (Nikon) 500mm lens and the beast. Have you ever tried using the 1.25 TC on the 500mm? All documentation do mention that the TC is matching each 800mm individual but hardware wise I can't see any restriction on why you couldn't use this TC on a 500mm.

Thank you for the clarification.


I have read that the 1.25x TC that comes with the Nikon 800mm lens only works for that lens. I think there is some physical tab, or something, that prevents that TC from being mounted on any other lens but the 800mm.

Edit: to answer your question - No, I have not tried using the 1.25x TC with any other lens.

Keith W.


Edited on Jun 06, 2017 at 03:28 AM · View previous versions



Jun 06, 2017 at 03:23 AM
1       2      
3
       4       5       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password