Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

fightingmouse

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

Hey guys.

So I bought a Pentax K1 and I want to get into portrait photography. I notice there isnt much TTL selection out there. I was wondering is there any Pentax portrait shooters on this forum? I know portrait we can all do manual ttl and it should be good. Just wondering what are people using with their Pentax.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:42 AM
ross attix
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

why thinking TTL? What you need to know is how much light is hitting the subject, not how much is being reflected.

Think that's wrong? Find a white wall, note the in camera exposure and shoot it. Now put a solid black piece of paper up in that same spot. Note the in camera exposure and shoot it.

1- your exposure readings will be several stops different. Why, did the light level change between shots?
2- your unedited shots will not look as they should. The white will be some value of grey, the black will not be dark enough for black. Why? Because the camera's meter was thrown off by the difference in the reflected light.
Why am I going into all of this you might ask. Because as the cameras have gotten more sophisticated, they have also brought a host of problems unless you know how to adjust for it yourself.

You asked about a flash that is TTL enabled. The way that will work is the camera/flash combo, on TTL will try to give you the best exposure for the portion of viewfinder real estate that falls within your critical AF focus point.

Suppose you are shooting a subject wearing a white blouse under a navy blazer. Depending on how tight you are shooting it, that clothing may end up in the AF zone. If so, your exposures will be all over the map. Meanwhile, the light hasn't changed, so the exposure shouldn't either!

I am not saying this can't work, but if you go the TTL route, you will be going crazy wondering why the exposures aren't consistent.

Unless there is a lot of subject and camera movement-in which case using manual exposure reading gets tricky-I like to lock it all in full manual.

Now there are tons of people using TTL flash and loving it. But there was a learning curve, and they all learned what I just explained about what the meter is doing, and figured out how they wanted to manage it.

Dec 21, 2016 at 01:43 AM
fightingmouse

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

Actually you set up a valid point and I was thinking about that as well.

I think TTL is probably best for those that is on the run and gun type of situation. And yea all I hear is how great TTL is and then I find out videos where people are going crazy over it.

In this case, I shall give it a try and report back here on getting a non ttl kit. I just get freaked out to see a lot of lights are made for Canon and Nikon.

thanks!

Dec 21, 2016 at 02:11 AM
ross attix
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

fightingmouse wrote:
I just get freaked out to see a lot of lights are made for Canon and Nikon.

I don't normally have a flash mounted on my camera. I like to use them remotely, and using Pocket Wizard Plus III to trigger. Yeah, I know there are cheaper triggers that offer more technology, and I have/use them as well. But the PW are built great, and never misfire.

So for me, what system the flash is built to be compatible with doesn't matter. I don't claim to be an expert on what works with what, but I shoot with Canon bodies and use mostly either Nikon brand flashes, and/or Godox 360 version I.

http://www.adorama.com/fplfsl360.html

These are a little bit bigger than most speedlights, but put out lots more power* and recycle super fast if you get the cord they offer which connects both battery terminals to the flash.

(*at ISO 100, 10', f/11 using shoot through umbrella. Roughly 1.5-2 stops more light than most Nikon/Canon branded flash will yield)

I can control the power on all manually, and either trigger with PW, or sometimes get lazy and just use optical slaves.

You can find Nikon SB-26 for $80-100, and they are very versatile, have built in optical slave, and a PC terminal. All and all, my favorite workhorse small flash.

Dec 21, 2016 at 05:00 PM
fightingmouse

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

Hey Ross!

thank you so much in introducing me to this product! I took sometime in evaluating my options and your flashpoint that you recommend is really really fitting the bill. I cant believe I didnt even see this when I was researching.

I was looking at Paul C Buff, but later realized it was getting pricey at the end and also seem to be over kill for me since I'm just starting out. I then looked at a cheaper option which was the YungnuoIV and the feed back on those were pretty great actually. They are very cheap.

When I started to look at videos on people using the Flashpoint. I was very amazed by it. I feel like it fits between a strobe and regular speedlight. Also the pricing isnt bad. Its also very portable and man I saw photos of the result. whew! I

You got me good. I want to thank you very much for that recommendation. I believe after Xmas, I will give it a shot.

Cheers man! I will let you know how things turn out .

Dec 25, 2016 at 03:05 AM
ross attix
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

They are packaging these in many different ways. Be sure to get one which includes a power pack. I'm not even sure why they would sell one without it, when it is only $10 more. Heck, the power pack sells for something like $200. Who would opt not to get one for $10 extra? Plus, you can't use the flash without it.

http://www.adorama.com/fplfsl360k1.html#source=productOptions

You will also have to decide how you want to trigger them. There are inexpensive Flashpoint options, Pocket Wizard as well as 3rd party poppers.

Have fun!

Dec 25, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fightingmouse

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

Oh yea! I am getting exactly those in that link. I will try with those R1 flashpoint trigger first that comes with the bundle. Then I will decide later if it needs some switching.

I think last night I was going a little crazy. I think later I figure it out. The mounts. I didnt understand what was bowen mounts or these other mounts. In my head It was like lens mount but it turns out its more like which type do you want for the umbrella?

Dec 25, 2016 at 08:03 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

Some really good advice on this thread.

Deploying flash/strobes is just a huge arena. It can become a massive rabbit hole that sucks you into buying all kinds of fancy high tech gear. The more automation and sophisticated the lighting gear connection to your camera there is means more dollars spent and less understanding you have with what you are doing.

If you are using your flash indoors mainly then I am assuming you are working in a normal house/apartment environment? If so you are working with a very solid common component, namely a white ceiling with a "normal" height? You can do a ton of testing here, measuring how your camera and flash of choice functions. Take notes and you can move to different places and achieve the same results. Ceiling height differences will matter but with some experience you can cope with the variables.

A lot of real estate photographers who use flash will work with slightly older Nikon strobes, even if they use Canon cameras and lenses. I like the Nikon SB800 and SB-80DX strobes. Many Nikon users sell these great flash units on Craigslist for cheap as they do not function with all the latest Nikon body wizardry. You can get an older Pocket Wizard to fire these flashes with your new Pentax. The nice thing about these Nikon strobes is that have solid power, manual settings, PC connectors and built-in optical slaves. Very versatile. You have to spend way more to get the PC connectors with a Canon strobe.

The #1 thing for better flash pictures is to NOT use the flash on the camera hot shoe. The other thing is to get used how your camera, lens, ISO, shutter speed, aperture responds when you are not using the flash at all. If you are using just one or two small flash units then you should learn how to mix available light with the flash you are using. Get used to settings that give you some solid ambient lighting, even it is way under exposed. You then need the flash to make up the exposure difference. Having just one flash, off camera, mixed with ambient light effectively can give you huge amounts of artistic freedom.

Learn to use just one flash in these conditions before buying more units. Use reflectors, screens, gobos, etc. Get large white and black foam core boards from an office supply store. That and painters tape will give all kinds of cool options with a tiny budget.

If you study the masters of portrait painting you will see that they use one or two light sources very convincingly. A lot of modern photography has very unnatural lighting that comes from eighteen different locations. That can be cool, but start with one light/flash, set on manual and take notes.

Good luck!

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:00 PM
ross attix
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

So, there are umbrella adapters that screw right into the side of the flash body. They come as a 2 piece kit. Reflector and the piece that screws in, which has a hole with a locking screw for the umbrella shaft as shown here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Godox-AD-S6-Umbrella-Holder-Flash-Reflector-Diffuser-for-Witstro-AD-180-AD-360-Speedlite/32638499755.html

I have used them but I ended up buying umbrella adapters for my light stands. http://www.adorama.com/fpxsh01.html?gclid=CKGahv2pkNECFd6CswodhoMD_A

They screw into the bottom of the flash (no hotshoe needed), and as you can see, the umbrella shaft goes through the adapter instead of through the piece pictured above.

You mentioned Bowens mount. For that you would normally be using it with a light modifier like an Octabox or soft box. That is a lot of weight to hang on one of these flashes.

https://www.amazon.com/Godox-Bracket-Speedlite-Softbox-Honeycomb/dp/B00JS3MINC

This is what is called an "S" bracket for these. The bracket takes all the weight and supports the soft box or whatever, and the flash just inserts through the hole in the middle.i haven't tried them, but I have seen one guy who complained that the flash tube would not extend far enough into the mount, and he was losing a lot of light as a result. You match the S bracket with whatever mount you need for your modifier.

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:07 PM
ross attix
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

This is more about hot lights than flash, but his premise of competing with "expensive kit" is priceless.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1409549

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:51 AM
fightingmouse

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

Ross!

You explained more to me than my local camera store. holy cow!!

I will actually try your setup before getting a soft box or anything over the top. ( softbox are so pricey)

It seems like a much effective way to experiment without breaking the bank. I'm pretty sure I can get some good results with this approach. I just got to learn to master the light. I seen youtube video with Northup and others using these kind umbrellas technique. I will give them a shot.

My main project is to take photos of my corgi. yup! I will defiantly post them up on this thread once I order these items.

thank you Ross! You are the man!

Dec 27, 2016 at 07:39 AM
ross attix
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pentax K1 Strobe lighting setup gear.

I think you will enjoy this, especially when you see how much better the light looks when it isn't coming from the hot shoe.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:52 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password