New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Best crop

pinn8
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best crop

I am looking for suggestion on the attached image. I am mainly interested in the cropping, but other suggestions for improving the image are also welcome. Which version do you prefer? Thanks!

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best crop

Tough call ... comes down to mood of desired conveyance @ relaxed vs. driven.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:41 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best crop

Or feature the bird instead of the strange colored water.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best crop

Camperjim wrote:
Or feature the bird instead of the strange colored water.

Jim brings a good point ... the color is "intense", so assuming that is your goal for the image, the pano version is a stronger, directional shape. Having a "relaxed" crop / comp with "intense" colors would be somewhat incongruous.

If you go with softer colors, softer crop. Stay with intense colors, intense crop.

Just kinda depends on the level of formality you want to convey. Imo, that is an aspect of your desired "message" to be conveyed that is to be understood (your choices are infinite), so you can make your pp decisions ... and in this case, your crop decisions.

Dec 20, 2016 at 06:53 AM
Familiarity
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best crop

I definitely prefer the pano version. Striking.

Dec 20, 2016 at 07:27 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best crop

I like the pano version. I might even go in just a little tighter all around.

I'd like to comment on the color but I'm ill equipped and don't want to misguide anyone.

Hard to tell at this size but it looks like you nailed the exposure nicely.

Dave

Dec 20, 2016 at 09:07 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best crop

The question regards cropping and several versions are possible, but what I find distracting is the intensity of the yellow background. This is a possible variation with muted colour.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:38 AM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best crop

I gotta learn how to do that. I thought it was great subject and shot well but was very distracted by the bright neon green water. I would like to see the first one with muted color as well.

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:24 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best crop

Perhaps more negative space for a less static composition that still preserves the symmetry with the reflection?

Dec 20, 2016 at 06:10 PM
pinn8
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best crop

Thank you all for your thoughts. I am leaning toward the pano composition myself.

The bright colors are part of what drew me to the original image. For the record, I did not add any saturation or vibrance to the original raw image. My LR adjustments are some minor exposure tweaks, some clarity added to the bird, and a little noise reduction (which does not matter much for an image this small).

I took the shot at a wildlife refuge in Florida shortly after sunrise, and the trees, which were all lit up in golden light, were reflected in the water. I have personally not seen conditions exactly like that at any other time or place.

Less than a minute later, I caught another pelican 50 yards away in water that did not have the reflected yellow color. For this image, I tried a high key exposure with a pano composition. Do you prefer this new image to the more colorful one I posted yesterday?

Dec 20, 2016 at 08:53 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best crop

I prefer the last one.
Clean, simple, and direct.

I like Karen's (AuntiPode's) crop/adjustment.

Where in Florida
Scott

Dec 20, 2016 at 09:14 PM
pinn8
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best crop

Sbeme,

The images were taken at Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island.

Dec 20, 2016 at 09:55 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best crop

Yup, I've shot something similar with intense green reflections that fooled the jurists in a competition into thinking it was PS stuff (and thus rejected).

That said, I do think you sat is up a bit (the blue feathers).

Definitely like the white version (still a bit strong blue) over the intense yellow.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:46 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.