Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Iceland in January for northern lights and ice caves - eq...

hongvu122

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Iceland in January for northern lights and ice caves - equipment advice

'll be going to Iceland in January for 5 days and am contemplating which camera setup to bring for the northern lights and the ice caves. I have a feeling that my Canon lenses are better, but the dynamic range on the Nikons are probably better. I guess I'm asking if the tradeoff of being able to bring the Canon primes would be offset by the weaker sensor performance. Any advice on the optimal body/lenses would be greatly appreciated:

Nikon Setup:
Nikon Nikon D810 FX-format Digital SLR Camera
Nikon Nikon D750 FX-format Digital SLR Camera
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD
Sigma 24-35mm f/2 DG HSM Art
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED

Canon Setup:
Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera
Canon EOS 6D DSLR Camera
Canon EOS 6D DSLR Camera
Canon EOS 7D Mark I
Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Lens with Built-in 1.4x
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS I USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS I USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM
Canon Extender EF 2X II
Canon Extender EF 1.4X II

Dec 20, 2016 at 03:34 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Iceland in January for northern lights and ice caves - equipment advice

Since I do use Nikon set up, I would advise you with the following set up.

Nikon D810 (Another back-up camera is desirable)
Nikon 14-24 mm f/2.8G ED
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC

And of course, good tripod and remote control
Be prepared with snow/ice walking/hiking.
Make a reservation for the ice cave adventure.

Most of all, good spirit is the essential equipment!!

Good timing for the January in Iceland... but 5 days are too short. Should be 10-14 days.

Good luck.

Dec 20, 2016 at 02:08 PM
tmiller9
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Iceland in January for northern lights and ice caves - equipment advice

I'm also a nikon user - so naturally I will lean to the D810, which will give you the low light/high pixel/DR performance.
As for lenses - speaking specifically to the norther lights & ice caves - I would lean more to wide and wider. When I was there in September (and was able to shoot the NL!), I used primes of 15mm & 21mm - so the 14-24 would work wonders. The NL tend to dance and stretch across the sky - so going wide will come natural. As for ice caves - other than some abstract close-ups - I would also lean wide. Pretty sure you will find them tighter than you might expect - and lots of DR. Going wide will help with scale, etc.

As for the rest of Iceland - which I am sure you will have some opportunity to see/shoot - I found roughly 50% were shot between 14-35mm, 30% between 35mm-70mm and the rest >80mm just to give you some perspective.

I also agree with Kee - you need more than 5 days! In the 16 days I was there - I only had 1 1/2 clear nights to shoot the Aurora. Good luck!

Todd

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hongvu122

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Iceland in January for northern lights and ice caves - equipment advice

Thanks for the advice guys and I appreciate the focal length distribution figures. I suppose I'll be bringing the Nikon equipment. I definitely wish I had more than 5 days, but it is just a stopover I had randomly added on my way back from Denmark.

For Nikon, are there advantages for the d750 with it's better noise performance? Or should I still be utilizing the D810 for the northern lights and ice caves?

Also, would you say that the Sigma f2 24-35mm be fast enough or would you recommend going with f1.4 primes?

Dec 21, 2016 at 03:21 PM
tmiller9
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Iceland in January for northern lights and ice caves - equipment advice

I would go with the D810. Although, I have never used the D750 - I believe the perceived improvement in low light performance is negated somewhat by the larger pixel files - but more importantly - you may not need to go that high in iso. What I mean by that is - the northern lights (at least in my brief experience) are pretty bright in the sky - which allowed me to shoot about 1 to 2 stops lower in iso relative to "regular" star shots. As for the ice caves - I think you will find the wider DR of the cave to be more of a challenge than the absolute light level - which I think the D810 would be an advantage.

As for the zoom vs. prime - I typically lean towards zooms for travel. I think you will find the flexibility - specifically in the ice caves - to be a tremendous advantage. I gotta believe not having to change lenses in "water dripping" conditions to be a benefit too. Now, having said that - I do usually bring a 15mm & 21mm prime with me specifically for night shots. I guess if you have the room - bring it. My thought is better to have it and not use it than not bring it and wish you had (again, if you have the room and weight).

Todd

Dec 21, 2016 at 05:44 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Iceland in January for northern lights and ice caves - equipment advice

the swivel screen on the D750 would be a make or break deal for me, especially near the icebergs on the beach or in the ice caves.

Dec 22, 2016 at 07:08 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password