Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

  

Strange flare w/135mm, Sony A7RII - flare reduced when up...
  
 
bluloo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strange flare w/135mm, Sony A7RII - flare reduced when upside down?


So, I haven't shot much with the Rokinon 135mm F2.0, and was playing around with it today, indoors when I noticed a strange flare/reflection I never noticed previously. I thought I might have done something to my camera, or the lens, but couldn't figure out what it might be.

I've played around with the lens previously, and never noticed anything like this.

The lens is being used adapted - from Nikon to FE (A7RII) and I see the reflection when used on an inexpensive dumb adapter, or on the TAP, and I cleaned both.
I don't see a flare with other lenses at 85mm or 100mm, using the same Nikon adapters.
I don't see a flare on a C/Y 135mm.

The flare is reduced when I turn the camera upside down.
The flare is significantly worse when stopped down.
It may be present wide open, but it's dependent on lighting - light at my back and I don't see it.
The flare largely goes away if I block about a finger's width of the lowest portion of the lens, without blocking the FOV when shooting close up.

Using a hood doesn't seem to make a difference.

In these photos the sun was on the left, and would come from over my right shoulder, if I were outdoors. Window was on the left at about the same height as the camera, so no direct sunlight was hitting the front element.

Is this a property of the lens design and the lighting?
What's going on?

I was thinking about buying another 135, but really don't want to spend the $$, if another fast 135 will behave similarly.







Wide open, close up







Camera right side up - Stopped down (F16), @ ~10-12'







Camera inverted - Stopped down (F16), @ ~10-12'




Dec 19, 2016 at 08:24 PM
bluloo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strange flare w/135mm, Sony A7RII - flare reduced when upside down?


No one has any ideas what's going on?



Dec 20, 2016 at 02:29 PM
Mathieu18
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strange flare w/135mm, Sony A7RII - flare reduced when upside down?


Does it show in all situations? What if no light it hitting the lens/camera?

Take your hand, wrap up the adapter and lens as close to the body as you can. I found a light leak that way coming from a not-cheap adapter. Keep in mind a particular adapter-lens combo could allow a leak where a different combo of the same lens or adapter might not.



Dec 20, 2016 at 03:31 PM
bluloo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strange flare w/135mm, Sony A7RII - flare reduced when upside down?


Mathieu18 wrote:
Does it show in all situations? What if no light it hitting the lens/camera?

Take your hand, wrap up the adapter and lens as close to the body as you can. I found a light leak that way coming from a not-cheap adapter. Keep in mind a particular adapter-lens combo could allow a leak where a different combo of the same lens or adapter might not.


Thanks for the reply.

Yeah that seemed to be the most likely candidate, so I tried that, more than once. No change.
I even wrapped up the combo (body-adapter and adapter-lens) with painter's tape, and slowly removed it while looking through the viewfinder. No change.

If no light is hitting the lens, wide open it's not noticeable unless the subject in the center of the lens is very dark, with few reflections (like fur).
Stopping down brings up the spot, even with your light source at your back, regardless of the subject characteristics.

Yesterday was the first time I stopped the lens down, so whatever it is, (I'm guessing) was present when the lens was received and became more pronounced over time.
The lens wasn't bumped, dropped etc. It literally still looks brand new. I'm at a loss...

Anyway, instead of mucking with it, it's going back to the vendor in the next day or so.
The lens is very sharp, and renders very nicely so I'll probably pick up another copy, unless I lose my mind and opt for an APO 135.
Hopefully it's just something wrong with this individual lens, because it's a bargain in terms of the IQ it produces.






Dec 20, 2016 at 03:58 PM
PhotoMaximum
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strange flare w/135mm, Sony A7RII - flare reduced when upside down?


The lens was warm, i.e., not brought back inside from frigid outdoors? No condensation? Cold lenses will show a condensation ring inside the lens until it warms up again.

No greasy finger print smear on back of lens?

Take a really small flashlight and shine the light through both ends of the lens, with and with out the adapter. See anything?

Try being in a dark room or closet with no light and shoot into a normal lit room. Does the flare remain?

Does the flare show when used on a Nikon body without the adapter?

Do any other lenses have any issues on your aR7II?



Dec 20, 2016 at 04:57 PM
SoulNibbler
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strange flare w/135mm, Sony A7RII - flare reduced when upside down?


Have you covered the lens release button. That looks like classic light leak. The fact that you see flair when a bright light source is to the right is pretty convincing.


Dec 20, 2016 at 05:02 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



bluloo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strange flare w/135mm, Sony A7RII - flare reduced when upside down?


PhotoMaximum wrote:
The lens was warm, i.e., not brought back inside from frigid outdoors? No condensation? Cold lenses will show a condensation ring inside the lens until it warms up again.

No greasy finger print smear on back of lens?

Take a really small flashlight and shine the light through both ends of the lens, with and with out the adapter. See anything?

Try being in a dark room or closet with no light and shoot into a normal lit room. Does the flare remain?

Does the flare show when used on a Nikon body without the adapter?

Do any other lenses have any issues on your
...Show more

The lens and camera were both warm, and were indoors only for over a week.
Front and rear optics are clean, and were checked and recleaned (twice), and the internal baffling on the lens was also checked and cleaned (blower).
I didn't use a flashlight, but used a lighbulb to check the internal optics, visually and with a loupe. I didn't see anything abnormal.
I previously shot outdoors, with the sun at or very near the horizon/behind trees - wide open - and didn't see any flare, but the subject had lots of mottled coloring. This was over a month ago.
No Nikon body to test, but good idea.

---------------------------------------------

SoulNibbler wrote:
Have you covered the lens release button. That looks like classic light leak. The fact that you see flair when a bright light source is to the right is pretty convincing.


The release button on the adapter (which sits on the left) and on the camera (sits on the right) were covered with tape, and with my hands. I didn't see any difference.

As noted in the OP, this isn't an issue with other lenses on the same camera, either Nikon mount, or other mount, in several FLs.
The SY 135 displays the same behavior on three different brands of adapters.

The lens is all packed up and ready to ship, so I can't perform additional tests, but at least I know I'm not crazy (probably), as the suggestions here mirror what I initially looked at.




Dec 20, 2016 at 06:02 PM
PhotoMaximum
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strange flare w/135mm, Sony A7RII - flare reduced when upside down?


This afternoon I stumbled upon a YouTube video reviewing the 14mm Rokinon and the reviewer complained about a very similar experience with heavy bizarre flare. Maybe the sub par coating(s) that these lenses have?


Dec 21, 2016 at 04:41 AM
gyoung143
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Strange flare w/135mm, Sony A7RII - flare reduced when upside down?


I had similar effects from an adapted Nikon mount lens, I eventually tracked it down to a light leak through the Nikon lens release tab on the adaptor, hence the difference in the effect depending on the way the camera is held.
Try aiming a torch around the lens release button whilst looking through the finder.

Gerry



Dec 21, 2016 at 09:30 AM
bluloo
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Strange flare w/135mm, Sony A7RII - flare reduced when upside down?


PhotoMaximum wrote:
This afternoon I stumbled upon a YouTube video reviewing the 14mm Rokinon and the reviewer complained about a very similar experience with heavy bizarre flare. Maybe the sub par coating(s) that these lenses have?


Interesting. I've owned 4 SY lenses, and this is the first problem unit. The others are very good. Maybe manufacturing (coating) variation (?)

---------------------------------------------

gyoung143 wrote:
I had similar effects from an adapted Nikon mount lens, I eventually tracked it down to a light leak through the Nikon lens release tab on the adaptor, hence the difference in the effect depending on the way the camera is held.
Try aiming a torch around the lens release button whilst looking through the finder.

Gerry


Good idea.

I tested two different dumb adapters, this morning, with another lens and a bright LED flashlight. I can induce internal reflections due to light entering via the release tab, but it's highly dependent on the angle, strength, and distance of the light source from the tab. I really had to manipulate the light to induce an internal leak.

The light leak initially made the most sense to me, but the window was on the right, and the tab on the left when the reflection was strongest. Inverting the camera moved the tab to the right, where the light was strongest, which reduced the anomaly.

I'm thinking of replacing the lens with another one, as I'm not sure I could justify an APO 135 that I'll use only a few times per year. Maybe a higher quality adapter is in order as well, just to be sure.



Dec 21, 2016 at 03:58 PM
Dudewithoutape
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Strange flare w/135mm, Sony A7RII - flare reduced when upside down?


I've used lenses without coating and its not this bad. I highly doubt coating. I suspect some sort of internal reflection


Dec 21, 2016 at 05:30 PM







FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password