FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Starter flash

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Starter flash

If youre unsure which speedlight you need maybe you should read on flash photography first before buying. They’re several websites that have articles and lessons on such plus books. Like sly arenas speedliters handbook both volumes are excellent the later for the radio speedlites and the previous for the earlier non radio units. Then figure out what type of flash photography you. Want to do make a list of features you want then see which speedlites meat those features I recommend starting with one off Camera unit and a reflector and a you progress invest in your next speedlite adding one each time the reflectoris limiting youwork

Oct 30, 2017 at 08:03 AM
Kolbasz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Starter flash

Is the Godox 860 really 70$ more for the Li-on battery?

What's typically the expected life span on AA?

Nov 02, 2017 at 03:34 PM
Kolbasz

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Starter flash

Is the cost difference worth the battery upgrade?

Nov 14, 2017 at 05:16 PM
mb126
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Starter flash

If you plan to just use bounce flash indoors, the 430 EX II is probably the way to go. If you eventually plan to go with some kind of OCF setup, I'd go with 430 EX-RT for now and can always pick up YN-600s as off camera slaves for about $80 used.

But either way, the 430 series rocks and balances very, very well on 1D and 5D series bodies.

Nov 14, 2017 at 06:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Snopchenko
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Starter flash

Paul Mo wrote:
I have a 430EX and it is a champion. Just keeps on working.

Seconded. I've had that unit (first generation) for ages. I call it my "personal nuclear accelerator" for the sound it makes when charging. The version II is apparently not as noisy and has many ergonomic improvements, but unless my old one somehow gets toasted, I'm not upgrading.

Nov 14, 2017 at 07:27 PM
Kolbasz

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Starter flash

Yeah, I just want it to make my pictures look fresh. Lots of times my indoor shots look dull and crappy because there isn't enough light.

So i Guess the best way to end the mystery and discussion is to just buckle down, get a 430ii and see where it gets me.

I'm not about to get into remote flashing and pro photography, so this will likely be way more than adequate for my current needs

Nov 14, 2017 at 09:49 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Starter flash

Sometimes using a flash can take you from dull and crappy to bright and crappy or shadowy and crappy. I would not get a flash that is not Canon RT compatible (whether Canon or third party) Simply because that flash needs to get off the camera at times to produce a natural looking image and Canon's RT system excels at that. I don't know what you have for a camera but, depending on the model) it may be able to trigger a remote flash. The argument against flash is that the images look unnatural, or too bright, or shadows under eyes/nose when bounced, yada yada yada. I personally feel that one should purchase the best flash that you can afford and really get to know how to use it properly.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:21 PM
Kolbasz

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Starter flash

6d mark2

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:16 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register