Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

paparazzinick
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

Lightroom CC and Apple issue?
So I noticed something recently.... My workflow starts with importing and generating smart previews and 1-1 previews. I let the machine do its thing and go away. Last week I noticed when I did this and the screensaver came on, it would stop rendering previews when I came back. The mac is not going to sleep as I have it set to never sleep and I turned off the let the hard drive sleep when possible. You used to be able to right click and go to info and set a setting to let the app work in the background and not let the mac go to sleep. Now you can't.
Anyone else have this issue? How did you fix it? I really don't want to not let the screensaver come on in fear of ruining the display. Also, I noticed it on both my hackintosh and new macbook pro. I noticed it first on the hackintosh and thought it was the hackintosh issue, Then it did it again on my 2016 macbook pro.

Thanks

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:22 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

You will not ruin a display with a screensaver...
If the screen is still on, then it's not sleeping.

Dec 20, 2016 at 03:27 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

playerofwar wrote:
You will not ruin a display with a screensaver...
If the screen is still on, then it's not sleeping.

You read that wrong. I do not want to shut the screensaver off because if I do then I will ruin the screen from leaving LR on the screen for hours. The problem is when the screensaver comes on, LR stop rendering previews until I unlock the computer and turn the screensaver off. Its as if the computer is going to sleep. But it cant be because I have the settings set to never go to sleep, just activate the screensaver.

Dec 20, 2016 at 09:51 AM
ChrisParker

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

In preferences, "Use Graphics Processor" (Performance tab) - is that on or off? If on, turn off and see if that fixes it. Often times when I have performance issues I'll need to toggle this option on/off.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:00 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

Chris. yes it is on. Do you think turning this off will keep my mac from thinking it is asleep when the screensaver comes on and finish rendering my files?

Its worth a try, but total BS if I have to do this every time lol

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:02 AM
ChrisParker

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

It's the only thing I can think of. It seems with every new release of LR there are new bugs. I find myself quitting/restarting Lightroom more often now because of tools not working or freezing.

For some reason, LR thinks your computer is asleep when the screen saver comes on. I'm wondering if the screen saver is triggering something on the operating system to shut down your graphics card too? But then again, it's needed to run the screen saver? If shutting it off doesn't work, sounds like a call to Adobe may be in order. I agree that is total BS if you can't have your screen saver on. Either way let me know how it goes.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:08 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

I will try it tonight when I import my next batch of edits. Thanks. I wish Apple didnt kill Aperture. I love it. Photos sucks. Maybe one day they will upgrade photos to a more pro'ish editor.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:10 AM
ChrisParker

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

I'm wondering if maybe it's an operating system conflict with LR. I'm using OS X El Captain - 10.11.6. I'm not having that problem with that OS version. Hopefully that helps narrow it down a bit.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:14 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

I'm having all sorts of odd issues with the newest LR on OS El Capitain 10.11.16 — refuses to go from photo to photo in the bottom filmstrip. Shuts down frequently. Ugh.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:22 AM
ChrisParker

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

Hmmm, I'm not having that issue. Although I haven't updated to the most recent version. Currently have 2015.7.

Guess I'll wait for the next bug release. They should make it easy to revert back to an older version. That would solve a lot of headaches.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:26 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

Chris... Tried what you said and it still did it. I think I am going to try a clean install after I am done with these last couple weddings. Just erase everything, no data migration or importing of settings. Setup as fresh for the OS and Adobe. Then see if it happens. If it still happens then it has to be a mac/adobe thing and not some weird setting or pref from me.

Its not a huge killer for me, but it is just one of those things that annoys me. lol

Dec 21, 2016 at 08:58 AM
thoang77
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

Try downloading Caffeine and run it to keep your computer from sleeping, then use the keyboard shortcut (control + shift + power/eject) to power down your monitor on your MBP. Assuming your hackintosh has an external monitor, you can just power that down

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:42 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom and Mac issue?

thoang77 wrote:
Try downloading Caffeine and run it to keep your computer from sleeping, then use the keyboard shortcut (control + shift + power/eject) to power down your monitor on your MBP. Assuming your hackintosh has an external monitor, you can just power that down

So far this is my best option. Thanks. JUst wish the damn software would just work instead of needing addon apps to make it work properly.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:39 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.