Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Fisher Price's My First Lens Calibration :) (5D3 / 85mm f1.2 II)

jw2k_fr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fisher Price's My First Lens Calibration :) (5D3 / 85mm f1.2 II)

Recently acquired a 5D3 refurbed directly from Canon, which is my first full frame body.

I picked it up in order to be able to experiment with Magic Lantern and raw video, but currently, I'm just playing around with lens calibration in order to get the most out of all the money that burnt its way out of my pocket

I ordered one of those cheap cardboard lens calibration templates from Amazon and have been looking at dialling in my lenses on a per lens basis on the new body. My 24-70 II was first and I ended up with T +2 and W -2 which gave decent results (probably not perfect, but a good enough starting point). Then I moved on to the 85mm F1.2 II

I followed the same process, but had to move the lens back a little to get outside the min focal distance. I set the lens to F1.2 at about 35in and pulled the trigger. Imported the RAW into LR and turned off all the sharpening and processing, and was struck by massive amounts of what I believe is chromatic aberration. I can see large amounts of purple and green fringing.

Most of the research I have done says "Yah, they all do that... blah blah lens design.... blah blah remove in lightroom"

Google also tells me that most people just say to click the "remove chromatic aberration button". Well, I've done that and it doesn't seem to make any difference to what seems to be the perfect setup to show this issue.

I would be very grateful if anyone can let me know of a step by step method of reducing or tuning this out using the "manual option" as opposed to the default lens profile, as I think I'm going to need a better understanding of how to get the best out of what everyone says is a fabulous portrait lens. Either that or a good written or Youtube tutorial would be great!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Dec 19, 2016 at 01:55 AM
Rvsalka

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fisher Price's My First Lens Calibration :) (5D3 / 85mm f1.2 II)

You're correct that is chromatic aberration. If the enable profile correction isn't doing it for you try this:

1. select manual
2. select the eye dropper tool
3. click on a purple or green pixel. The loupe tool should appear when you hover over the image making it easy to select the offending pixel.

If that doesn't work you can try to use the definge sliders.
You have a rather worse case scenario there so you may not be able to get rid of all of it without affecting other parts of the image. Like every other adjustment its a balancing act. good luck!

Dec 19, 2016 at 04:30 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fisher Price's My First Lens Calibration :) (5D3 / 85mm f1.2 II)

The minimum recommended distance of the 85mm F1.2 II on a Full Frame should be 3.5m or 11.4 feet. This is 40x of the focal length .

Francois

http://s449182328.websitehome.co.uk/focal/dl//Docs/FoCal%20Test%20Distance_1.1.pdf

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fisher Price's My First Lens Calibration :) (5D3 / 85mm f1.2 II)

Yes, that is CA, but it is worth noting that there are two main types of chromatic aberration: axial (or longitudinal, LoCA), and transverse (or lateral, LCA). What you are seeing here is LoCA, which is not so easily corrected automatically.

The one-click filters in software mostly handle LCA, which is when different wavelengths of light (colors) to spread to different positions in the focal plane, but not LoCA, which causes light of differing wavelengths to be focused at different points along the optical axis (e.g., different colors are either front or back focused). You see this aberration particularly with certain very fast lenses shot at or near wide open.

For Canon images you can tackle this in two ways:

1. In Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP), you can use the Color Blur filter to apply a one-click automatic correction, based on an installed lens profile for a compatible Canon EF lens.

2. In Lightroom or Adobe Camera RAW, you can use Adobe's DeFringe tool to apply a manual correction. You may vary the sliders to adjust the strength and color match to get the best result. Note that this is a blunt instrument and can cause unwanted side effects elsewhere in the image if you happen to have similarly colored areas.

Hope this helps.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:31 AM
jw2k_fr

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fisher Price's My First Lens Calibration :) (5D3 / 85mm f1.2 II)

Thanks for all the great information. Have not yet had time to digest or experiment. Maybe this weekend....

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:45 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fisher Price's My First Lens Calibration :) (5D3 / 85mm f1.2 II)

jw2k_fr wrote:
Thanks for all the great information. Have not yet had time to digest or experiment. Maybe this weekend....

You've just discovered the "purple fringing queen"....the 85L f1.2 II. Not a big deal, just deal with this issue in post and follow the tips given and avoid photo situations where this optical issue rears it's ugly head. Luv my 85L f1.2 II.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:32 AM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fisher Price's My First Lens Calibration :) (5D3 / 85mm f1.2 II)

jw2k_fr wrote:
what everyone says is a fabulous portrait lens. Either that or a good written or Youtube tutorial would be great!

Well, as long as your subjects aren't black and white test charts, its a beautiful lens.

Dec 22, 2016 at 01:02 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fisher Price's My First Lens Calibration :) (5D3 / 85mm f1.2 II)

^This.
Some CA is present in most super fast lenses, and very high contrast scene illustrate this profoundly.

But high-contrast lighting is horrible for portraits. Also, humans usually are not stripped black and white

Open shade scenarios with reflectors and/or flash, or window lit with reflectors etc scenarios all insure a more flattering, lower contrast light for portraits which also helps fabulous lenses to be used in max apertures.

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:30 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.