FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       end

Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

racoll
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

The 10D was my first DSLR that I owned: my significant other was using a Nikon D1 for the newspaper she worked for at the time, so it was the first dslr that I ever actually used, however briefly. I loved my 10D except for the 2 seconds it took to actually be ready to fire, and the measly 7 focus points. I had bought a 1vHS about 8 months before, so in many ways the 10D felt a lot like a digital Elan II compared to the 1v. I loved it though and took a lot of wonderful pictures with it, which are all on a different hard drive right now. I took it out a couple of days ago...it still feels really good in hand! Lots of fond memories from that camera!

Andy

Apr 04, 2017 at 12:12 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Speaking of the antique 1DS - yes, that was a formidable camera. Some of my favorite work was shot with that one.

Canon EOS-1DS    28mm    f/10.0    1/100s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS-1DS    70.0-200.0 mm lens    200mm    f/8.0    1/800s    100 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Apr 04, 2017 at 01:36 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

The goddaughter on the d60 with ef 28-135

20D with ef 17-85

Young girl on the d60

Younger girl on d60

Me in 2002 taken with Eos 1v, original print recently copied with hipstamatic app. I had no idea then what was about to come. I thought the Eos 1's were about as good as cameras were going to get with a few minor improvements over time.

Apr 04, 2017 at 04:02 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

I finally got around to taking a few snaps with older gear. Here's a 1D3 (not too old) with 50-200/3.5-4.5L lens (UD --1989).

On hand, my oldest Canon lens is a FL 55/1.2 and oldest body is T90.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III    EF50-200mm f/3.5-4.5L lens    90mm    f/7.1    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark III    EF50-200mm f/3.5-4.5L lens    50mm    f/7.1    1/250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark III    EF50-200mm f/3.5-4.5L lens    50mm    f/7.1    1/640s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 20, 2017 at 06:07 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

How about some really old gear (at least the first few... Canon F-1. Obsolete? Sure. Inferior? Never!).

Gary R. Voth

Mary Decker, LA Olympic Games, 1984. Canon New F-1, New FD 300mm f/2.8L, Ektachrome

Gary R. Voth

Leroy Irvin, LA Rams vs. Atlanta Falcons, early 80s. Canon New F-1, New FD 200mm f/2.8, Ilford HP5. (Manual focus--booya)

Gary R. Voth

Earthquake aftermath, Mexico City, 1985. Canon New F-1, FD 20mm f/2.8, Ektachrome

Gary R. Voth

Horse drive, Seneca, OR, 1999. Canon EOS-3, EF 100-400L IS, Kodak E200

Gary R. Voth

Maasai child, Kenya, Africa, 2003. Canon E0S-10D, EF 50mm f/1.4, 1/350 @ f/2, ISO 200

Gary R. Voth

Brown bear, Katmai, Alaska, 2005. Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II, EF 500mm f/4.0L IS, 1/500 @ f/4.5, ISO 800

Apr 21, 2017 at 07:38 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Some old 40D shots, which was mostly used for macro

Canon EOS 40D    420mm    f/5.0    1/320s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 40D    65mm    f/9.0    1/100s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 40D    65mm    f/9.0    1/100s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 40D    MP-E65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo lens    65mm    f/8.0    1/100s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 40D    EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x lens    700mm    f/6.3    1/800s    400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

This is actually 1400mm, exif couldn't record second TC 500 + 1.4x + 2x

Canon EOS 40D    1000mm    f/14.0    1/40s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 40D    65mm    f/13.0    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 21, 2017 at 09:46 AM
racoll
• • • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Gary, those shots are superb! The F-1 pics are just amazing...what a beautiful camera!

Andy

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:18 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Edited on Apr 27, 2017 at 01:26 AM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:40 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

racoll wrote:
Gary, those shots are superb! The F-1 pics are just amazing...what a beautiful camera!

Andy

Thank you!

Interestingly, when I started doing professional news photography in the late 1970s (I was really young ) Nikon completely dominated the pro market. Canon's white lenses were a rare sight on the sidelines of the games I shot through the 1980s, and you were considered somewhat suspect if you carried F-1s instead of Nikons. It was Canon's EF system with in-lens focusing motors finally changed their fortunes, I think. Canon AF shooters had a performance edge until Nikon released its AF-S telephotos.

I wonder what will happen in another decade or two...? Maybe everything will be shot on video and editors will just grab frames as needed... Will Sony be the new king of the hill?

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:14 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

PetKal wrote:
1DMkIIN + 100-400 MkI.

Wait, wut? Are you just having a bit of fun with us, or is this a real image?

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

racoll wrote:

Andy

garyvot wrote:
Thank you!

Interestingly, when I started doing professional news photography in the late 1970s (I was really young ) Nikon completely dominated the pro market. Canon's white lenses were a rare sight on the sidelines of the games I shot through the 1980s, and you were considered somewhat suspect if you carried F-1s instead of Nikons. It was Canon's EF system with in-lens focusing motors finally changed their fortunes, I think. Canon AF shooters had a performance edge until Nikon released its AF-S telephotos.

I wonder what will happen in another decade or two...? Maybe everything will be shot on
...Show more

Love those images Gary. I didn't know you shot the Marlboro ads.

I loved my New F-1 with AE Finder FN and AE Motor Drive FN... Also loved my T90. I was still in high school so couldn't afford the big Canon glass and instead had a Tamron 300/2.8... I was a pretty big fan of the Adaptall system. Almost switched to Nikon in part for the reasons you mentioned. And would have been able to keep on with the Tamron glass I already had. Nikon definitely was the dominant pro system. But it just happened that about when I graduated high school, Canon released the EOS-1 and it changed my mind. IMO it was clear from the all electronic EF mount and in-lens focusing motors that Canon was doing AF right. And the EOS-1 was like a T90 on steroids. I worked part time in a camera store at that time and Canon was a really tough sell to the pro market, despite the clearly superior technology and features. I guess they were kind of in a similar position to Sony now. But within a few years as the system fleshed out and there were more USM lenses, I was selling a lot of Canon to Nikon shooters.

Tough to say what's coming down the road. For sports and action I anticipate automated systems capable of motion tracking, shooting 8K+ and pulling frames for stills. For pro leagues, players will wear some sort of RFID type identifier as part of their uniform and cameras will be able to key in on them during plays, etc. Same with the ball. Systems may be able to shoot fluid lower shutter speed video interlaced with high shutter speed stills (or high fps video). Automated focus stacking... focus adjustment in post... Probably really powerful technology in really small packages.

Apr 22, 2017 at 06:28 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

garyvot wrote:
Wait, wut? Are you just having a bit of fun with us, or is this a real image?

It`s a composite.

Apr 22, 2017 at 09:17 AM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:23 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Love those images Gary. I didn't know you shot the Marlboro ads.

I loved my New F-1 with AE Finder FN and AE Motor Drive FN... Also loved my T90. I was still in high school so couldn't afford the big Canon glass and instead had a Tamron 300/2.8... I was a pretty big fan of the Adaptall system. Almost switched to Nikon in part for the reasons you mentioned. And would have been able to keep on with the Tamron glass I already had. Nikon definitely was the dominant pro system. But it just happened that about when
...Show more

Thank you Ron!

Interesting thoughts about the automation of pro sports photography. You could well be right. At least real humans will probably remain a more cost effective choice for shooting high school sports.

I missed the T90 era. I had left photography at that point in favor of a new career in software, and I didn't seriously pick it up again for another 12-15 years. The T90 seems to be a precursor to the EOS system in many ways.

I didn't care for the greater use of plastics in Canon's pro cameras when I returned, though I purchased an EOS-1n and 3. When the 1V came about I quickly upgraded. Sadly for my wallet and for those lovely bodies, the film era was already starting to wind down. When the 10D arrived I jumped in (no longer needing to shoot sports much at that point).

I still think the EOS-1V was the most beautiful and holistically satisfying of all of the Canon cameras I have used. For years I pined for an 'EOS 3D' largely due to the experience of the 1V. (I suppose the 5D IV is close enough now.) While all of the 1-series still carry this design DNA, the 1DX II has grown so much more bloated and brick-like by comparison.

Apr 22, 2017 at 03:19 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

garyvot wrote:
How about some really old gear (at least the first few... Canon F-1. Obsolete? Sure. Inferior? Never!).

Here is the race with Mary Decker:

The fall is just under 5 minutes in. That picture must have been taken shortly after.

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:14 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

danski0224 wrote:
Here is the race with Mary Decker:
The fall is just under 5 minutes in. That picture must have been taken shortly after.

Yeah. I was a staff shooter with the San Bernardino Sun at the time, then owned by Gannett. The paper had developed a national reputation for photography in the mid-1970s and was still a good place for aspiring photojournalists when I was there.

I was "on loan" to Gannett's USA Today for the '84 Olympics. For this particular race, I was the "third shooter" behind a pair of seasoned USA Today staffers, and thus stationed at turn 3, away from where the presumed action at the finish would take place. Of course, this was where the collision occurred.

I felt terrible for Mary Decker, but my job was to the make the pictures.

USA Today did not publish a weekend edition then and so the photos were going to be held for Monday. So with the permission of my editor, we licensed some images to the Orange Co. Register (they actually souped the film for us in their lab). This image ran on page 1.

The Register later won a Pulitzer in photography for its overall Olympics coverage. I like to think I helped a bit.

Edited on Apr 22, 2017 at 11:12 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:48 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Pretty cool story.

I can't even imagine just "hanging out" not expecting anything to happen...probably a little bummed sidelined to the sidelines... and then something happens.

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:52 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

danski0224 wrote:
Pretty cool story.

I can't even imagine just "hanging out" not expecting anything to happen...probably a little bummed sidelined to the sidelines... and then something happens.

Well trust me, it wasn't just hanging out. I may not have been granted ideal position, but you do need to cover important events from multiple shooting angles, and I was shooting the whole time I had something to aim at.

I actually have a couple of pictures of the moment of collision itself captured as the runners were passing by us, but I no longer have access to those images, sadly.

Apr 22, 2017 at 06:39 PM
racoll
• • • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

garyvot wrote:
Thank you Ron!

Interesting thoughts about the automation of pro sports photography. You could well be right. At least real humans will probably remain a more cost effective choice for shooting high school sports.

I missed the T90 era. I had left photography at that point in favor of a new career in software, and I didn't seriously pick it up again for another 12-15 years. The T90 seems to be a precursor to the EOS system in many ways.

I didn't care for the greater use of plastics in Canon's pro cameras when I returned, though I purchased an
...Show more

I also think that the 1v is Canon's most beautiful body. I added the power booster/grip to make mine the 1vHS and was always most impressed by it. It replaced my EOS A2 which I still think is one of Canon's best bodies; it was a pretty amazing tool in the early 90s. When I bought my 1v (in 2002) the digital age was well under way. My significant other had started working as a photojournalist at our local paper in late-2000, and she was using the paper's Nikon D1 which actually made me a bit jealous. It was pretty apparent that my beautiful 1vHS was trotting into 'obsolescence' and not wanting to be left behind technologically (not the least bit of a concern these days!) I also bought a 10D when it was released. I never felt like any of my DSLRs came close to the performance of my 1v (I had all xxD bodies, never a 1-series) until I got the 7D. That was the first camera that impressed me as much as my 1v did and since then I've moved on to the 5DIII, which impresses me even more and has become my favorite EOS body to date. I also happen to find its muscular design to be quite lovely too, especially since Canon changed the design of the battery cartridge in the grip to make it more like the 1-series and more ergonomically pleasing, and more sculpted.
I did buy a T90 a few years ago. It's a wonderful camera, said to be the test mule for many of the EOS features. I enjoy using the T90 but it feels so much like an EOS that it feels odd to have manual lenses mounted on it and not EF lenses.

Andy

Apr 22, 2017 at 07:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password