New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Ruffo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

I thought it might be fun to see how far gear has advanced, how our expectations have risen and also to remind people that even though we might feel limited by our current gear, that is often the best time to get better with what we already own.

The Canon 10D was my first non-film body and I can remember thinking about just sticking with film until the new digital fad passed. Armed with 6 megapixels and the dust pumping, trombone style OLD 100-400, I was stubborn enough to keep trying to learn the digital way of doing things.

I can remember being jealous of Fred Miranda because he was using the 1Ds which had a massive 11 megapixels! If I remember correctly, it retailed for around $8,000.

Edited on May 17, 2017 at 12:36 AM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2016 at 03:02 AM
juststeve

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Nice, nice, nice.

One thing it pays to do is revisit some of those oldies but goodies with the newer RAW converters. So it is a good idea not to overlook those old digital photos from 2002-2004. Maybe a guy can't print them as big as a house like you can with a 5DS, but they can still deliver a great image as you have shown.

I started with the D60. Six megapixels, too. And it could produce a great image, in many respects better than one could get for Kodachrome 64 or Fuji Velvia off a 35 mm slide.

But thinking about that D60 having only 3 FPS and a buffer of 6 frames and taking 40 some seconds to write to the card, still gives me wildlife photo nightmares. The 10D had a bit better buffer, but the original 1Ds was darn near as slow as the D60. If I had not started wildlife photography with thumb drive film cameras, the 3 FPS and tiny buffer of those early Canon digital cameras would have driven me crazy.

But, once I started with that D60, I only once or twice looked back. I carried a couple of bricks of film with me in a cooler for the first several months for my trusty EOS 3's, but I gave away the film to friends by the end of six months with the D 60, and bought a 10D and 1Ds as soon as they were available. And I gave away one of the EOS 3's, but still have one in case I want to shoot film. Heaven forbid such an attack of insanity.

Dec 19, 2016 at 03:22 AM
Ruffo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Thanks for reminding me of the D60 Steve. It was so much better than the D30...
I know what you mean about the speed and auto focus as looking back in my 2003 hard drive, nice sharp BIF shots were few and far between.

I have also retained one film body.....a Canon A2e with eye controlled focus that worked surprisingly well.

Dec 19, 2016 at 03:34 AM
Zenon Char
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

juststeve wrote:
Nice, nice, nice.

One thing it pays to do is revisit some of those oldies but goodies with the newer RAW converters. So it is a good idea not to overlook those old digital photos from 2002-2004. Maybe a guy can't print them as big as a house like you can with a 5DS, but they can still deliver a great image as you have shown.

I started with the D60. Six megapixels, too. And it could produce a great image, in many respects better than one could get for Kodachrome 64 or Fuji Velvia off a 35 mm slide.

But
...Show more

I can't remember the RAW converter that was really popular around 2005 to 07 that Adobe bought. Here are a few from my 30D.

~original[/IMG]

~original[/IMG]

Dec 19, 2016 at 03:43 AM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

I started with the D60 but later on found a used 1D for a steal of a price. Everyone was like, why did you downgrade? It's 2 megapixels lower!

Dec 19, 2016 at 03:43 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

My first dSLR was the very popular 20D. Looking around it seems I mostly shot or only kept JPGs

Anyways, I really enjoyed the camera. I have many fond memories of it.

Canon EOS 20D    200mm    f/5.6    1/800s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 20D    200mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS 20D    300.0 mm lens    420mm    f/5.6    1/2500s    400 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Dec 19, 2016 at 04:02 AM
Ruffo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

M. Best wrote:
I started with the D60 but later on found a used 1D for a steal of a price. Everyone was like, why did you downgrade? It's 2 megapixels lower!

I remember the original 1D files were so clean! That CCD sensor gave the clarity of slide film vs the print film look of the CMOS sensors.

Dec 19, 2016 at 04:07 AM
wtlloyd
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

"I can't remember the RAW converter that was really popular around 2005 to 07 that Adobe bought. Here are a few from my 30D."

Raw Shooters Essentials. That's where "Clarity" came from, among other bits of unseen magic Adobe got when they bought them out.

Dec 19, 2016 at 04:14 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

My 10D and 100-400 combo did much better than I ever did with film. This was back before I was shooting raw too. The first one was taken from a rubber dingy with 5 other people in it. I think the images still look pretty good. This is from the Galapagos in 2007.

Edit: Somehow this was showing the hawk shot twice, hope its fixed now.

Canon EOS 10D    100.0-400.0 mm lens    200mm    f/6.3    1/400s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS 10D    100.0-400.0 mm lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/1000s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS 10D    100.0-400.0 mm lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/1600s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Edited on Dec 22, 2016 at 10:08 PM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2016 at 05:15 AM
Lotuselite
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Zenon, as mentioned above it was called Rawshooter Essentials. They put out a version called Rawshooter Pro which you had to pay for.
With it they promised five free updates. Adobe bought them out before anyone got a free update.
To make good on the free update promise Adobe gave those who had bought the Pro version the first copy of Lightroom free. After that, LR updates cost the same as anyone else.
Rawshooter worked very well. I am not sure if some of the original Rawshooter people are not now involved in C 1.

Dec 19, 2016 at 07:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ctrout
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Well, I've got loads of shots from my D30 but I'm not an upload member so oh well. I did try though.

Dec 19, 2016 at 08:17 AM
wonderer
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Great thread and submissions; just what I needed! I'm relatively new to Canon and most of my gear was bought used. I'm still (always ) learning the ropes with it but these recollections and images help confirm the old adage that it ain't the gear so much as the photographer that makes great pictures!

--Kim

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:39 AM
psharvic
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

I've got a 30d in the cabinet- 8mp I believe. Thinking about taking it apart just for fun but now accepting offers

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:12 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

juststeve wrote:

But, once I started with that D60, I only once or twice looked back. I carried a couple of bricks of film with me in a cooler for the first several months for my trusty EOS 3's, but
...Show more

So true, the images below were reprocessed in LR5 about a decade after their creation... I also shot film/digital for about 6 months or so before fully giving up on film. Digital was so much more flexible, if not quite as high resolution. Changing ISO on the fly was golden. As was not having to carry 20, 40, 100+ rolls of film through the airport for extended trips. All replaced by a few memory cards, a laptop and some peripherals.

---------------------------------------------

Ruffo wrote:
I remember the original 1D files were so clean! That CCD sensor gave the clarity of slide film vs the print film look of the CMOS sensors.

All of the images below were with the 1D. I agree it had a sharp punchiness to it, but I also learned Canon intentionally kept the shadows dark and the files higher contrast as a result to mask shadow noise/banding. SOOC quality was also a struggle sometimes as the camera had a tendency to a cyan/green color shift. For me at least it became a matter of trying to tweak the in-camera tone curve profile to minimize this, and whenever possible, to shoot RAW instead. At the time I favored Phase One's C1 output. IIRC, I even bought a few FM PS actions.

When the 1DII started shipping, I recall some guys complaining it wasn't as sharp as the 1D. Indeed, its files had a 'thickness' that required a lot more sharpening, but they were also more malleable.

My first digital was the Canon 1D precisely because IMO it was the first Canon that essentially functioned like the EOS-1 series and EOS-3 film cameras I was used to for shooting sports. In fact, just before the 1D arrived, I was very close to buying the EOS-1V, which I'd borrowed a few times and loved. At the time I remember thinking how crazy it was to pass up a $2500 CAD film camera and instead spend $7900 CAD (about $5500 US at the time) on a relatively low resolution digital camera. Oh, and also the ~$8000 additional in computers (one desktop and one laptop), displays, hard drives, memory cards... Other than the 400/2.8, I'd never spent that much for camera gear. But as mentioned above, after ~6 months or so, I pretty much stopped shooting film entirely...

Some images... in 2003/2004 I liked shooting things on two wheels. My town was host to the UCI world cycling championships in 2003, which was like being in heaven for a week. I shot these accredited for the local paper... Lenses would have been 16-35 v1, 15/2.8, 70-200/2.8 (not sure if IS version was out at that time already... maybe) and 400/2.8 non-IS.

All those guys were shooting the 1D at that time.

A few of motorcycles:

Above was shot as a remote camera.

Above two were with the 600/4 non-IS. Shooting panning images on digital was great for immediate feedback to play around with shutter speed options. Could shoot and shoot without feeling like wasting film and money.

Dec 19, 2016 at 03:04 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

wtlloyd wrote:
"I can't remember the RAW converter that was really popular around 2005 to 07 that Adobe bought. Here are a few from my 30D."

Raw Shooters Essentials. That's where "Clarity" came from, among other bits of unseen magic Adobe got when they bought them out.

Right. Raw Shooters Essentials. I was starting to learn about RAW when Adobe bought them. I remember it was very popular. Thanks.

Dec 19, 2016 at 03:29 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Lotuselite wrote:
Zenon, as mentioned above it was called Rawshooter Essentials. They put out a version called Rawshooter Pro which you had to pay for.
With it they promised five free updates. Adobe bought them out before anyone got a free update.
To make good on the free update promise Adobe gave those who had bought the Pro version the first copy of Lightroom free. After that, LR updates cost the same as anyone else.
Rawshooter worked very well. I am not sure if some of the original Rawshooter people are not now involved in C 1.

Yes that is what it was called. Thanks.

Dec 19, 2016 at 03:31 PM
Ruffo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

Nice images Ron! One other thing I had a problem with when switching to digital was "conserving film". It took a few years before I could break this habit and hammer away at the shutter. When I was shooting film, 200 shots was a very busy day for me. I kept new rolls in my left pocket and exposed rolls in my right pocket.

Digital has allowed people to "get the shot" even when the odds are very low.
I would have never burned the film to try to get such low percentage photos.

Edited on May 17, 2017 at 12:36 AM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2016 at 01:03 AM
gates_2
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

All right- ya'll have convinced me- just upgraded to a 6d but I'm gonna hold on to my 40d for wildlife and the reach! Just picked up a 100-400 i as well.

Dec 20, 2016 at 02:59 PM
JimmyJames
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

I shoot some commencements and do chromakey portraits with using Speedotron lights. The lab wants at 2 mb file size. I continue to use a Canon 10D for this nonsense.

Dec 20, 2016 at 06:18 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon Obsolete and Inferior Gear Image Thread

My first digital body was a 300D. It set my shooting standard for every subsequent Canon body: Av, center-point AF, raw, followed by an image dump and Photoshop. I'm still surprised when I discover modern bodies that can do more.

Dec 20, 2016 at 07:59 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password