New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Homemade LED light strips

Disaster
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Homemade LED light strips

Really like how the homemade LED light strips work for portraits. Nice wide, soft pattern.

" target="_blank">

I got lazy and followed Joel's tutorial exactly (minus the roller wheels.)

Dec 19, 2016 at 01:10 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Homemade LED light strips

The center of her face, and especially her teeth look over-exposed, and I'm not a fan of that style of flat, featureless light for portraits.

Faces have character and texture. I want to see that, expressed in light and shadow. This style of lighting does not produce that.

There's more to good lighting than just light.

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:25 AM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Homemade LED light strips

It is clamshell "beauty" lighting which is "kinder" light. I agree it is flat and for specific scenarios. This was done as a high key on top of that. Thanks for the feedback.

Dec 20, 2016 at 08:10 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Homemade LED light strips

clamshell beauty light is generally done with lights over and under the face, with the upper one set as key and the lower one set as fill.

High key does not mean over exposed. It means a high ratio between the key and fill lights. Your key and fill are equal here.

Dec 20, 2016 at 06:36 PM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Homemade LED light strips

cwebster wrote:
clamshell beauty light is generally done with lights over and under the face, with the upper one set as key and the lower one set as fill.

High key does not mean over exposed. It means a high ratio between the key and fill lights. Your key and fill are equal here.

Clamshell lighting is description for both horizontal and vertical clamshells. Horizontal is a flatter light...better for soft beauty shots.

https://www.slrlounge.com/use-clamshell-lighting-create-beautiful-flattering-light/

High key can be very overexposed right up to Nagel style shots with just an outline of the eyes and mouth. It is another style of beauty shot.

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/high-key-photography/

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b7/df/1e/b7df1e380dffc3b2312b18d78fc5bc94.jpg

I have no qualms with the comments/feedback. Having said that, this shot got exactly the effect and affect I wanted and is my client's favorite. I preferred to leave the light "suggestion" of natural wrinkles vs. wipe them out or blur them into oblivion like I often see. Just a style difference. I'm sure plenty of clients are glad to have their wrinkles dissolved away too. :-)

Dec 26, 2016 at 01:35 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password