New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Product Photography Blogs

beleriand

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Product Photography Blogs

Can anyone recommend a good product photography blog (or even a book [I have Light Science and Magic, which is great]) that deconstructs exactly how a certain certain photo was produced, focusing especially on putting theory into practice?

I'm a seller of antiques first, and a photographer second (more like tenth), so I'm having trouble getting my bearings. I understand the theory, but when I go to take pictures, I get so frustrated because I'm lacking the proper tools to accomplish what I want to accomplish. While my pictures are getting better, the process of getting those pictures is not getting any easier. In fact, it's getting harder as my standards get more demanding. I don't even know what tools are out there.

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:34 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Product Photography Blogs

https://strobist.blogspot.ca/2015/08/blog-view.html

Depending on where you are, you would start with Lighting 101 or 102. The "on-assignment" archive has some good real-world problem solving tips.

Dec 19, 2016 at 03:35 PM
ross attix
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Product Photography Blogs

beleriand wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good product photography blog (or even a book [I have Light Science and Magic, which is great]) that deconstructs exactly how a certain certain photo was produced, focusing especially on putting theory into practice?

I'm a seller of antiques first, and a photographer second (more like tenth), so I'm having trouble getting my bearings. I understand the theory, but when I go to take pictures, I get so frustrated because I'm lacking the proper tools to accomplish what I want to accomplish. While my pictures are getting better, the process of getting those pictures is not getting
...Show more

So, are you asking about ways to photograph antiques? What sorts of items? Table top? Full size furniture?

I don't have any info. regarding a blog, but this is a pretty extensive inquiry. Much depends on the nature of what you are looking to photograph. Wooden items for example, will need a completely different treatment than glass, and reflective metal is another category.

I did thousands of table top product photographs back in the day, but was once asked to shoot some antique furniture, like 4-6' high, and it was difficult. The color of the wood wanted to suck up the light, and although lighting for the basic shape was easy, without certain highlights, the fine details of the pieces were lost.

If such is your challenge, try a technique called painting with light. The room will need to be completely dark to start. This will be a long exposure, maybe 1-2 minutes. Have something like a Smith Victor or any 3200 tungsten light you want to use. Open the shutter, turn on the light (which you are holding in your hand-not mounted to light stand) and literally sweep the subject up and down, side to side, with that light. Hit it from the left and the right sides, and keep the light moving the whole time. When done, kill the light and close the shutter.

With digital it is easy to try one, check your exposure and adjust if you need to on a second shot. The biggest unknown, until you experiment, is how long the exposure needs to be. Once you are in the ballpark, it will be easy. Darker pieces will need more time, lighter less.

Without more details, it is hard to know what problem you are trying to solve.

Dec 19, 2016 at 05:16 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Product Photography Blogs

Most photo-bloggers want to sell you something, not impart knowledge. The people who really know how to do, are too busy to blog

Too many posters don't give enough information on what they are doing, to give good answers. Are you selling milk glass, pocket watches or what?

If it is furniture, ross attix has giver you good info. BTW customers don't buy bokeh. Shoot at f/11-f/16 so that they can see what you are selling. Don't worry about diffraction, pixel peepers don't buy antiques

Dec 19, 2016 at 09:48 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Product Photography Blogs

Pretty much everything you need to know is covered in Light -- Science & Magic. I also like Creative Lighting Techniques for Studio Photographers. A little more practicality and a little less theory.

ISBN-13: 978-1-58428-093-4

Don't know if it's still in print.

I found that it took most of a year's practice before I was able to see what I needed and achieve that in the studio.

You can click the WWW button at the bottom of this post to see my photos of musical instruments ranging from mandolin to cello and larger instruments.

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Product Photography Blogs

I don't know if "hijacking" a thread is against forum rules or not. I recently had a similar question to the OP and so Googled "how to photograph products" and found some interesting tips however most of them were for "out of context" photos of products. What does this mean? For example I have a lot of plants in unusual containers at home and I like to photograph them in their context, not in a light tent or in front of seamless paper. This is not anything new, a lot of photos of house plants you find on the internet show them in their surroundings.
So I was wondering if there was any reference on "mixing available and flash light for product photography".

Dec 20, 2016 at 02:33 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Product Photography Blogs

c.d.embrey wrote:
The people who really know how to do, are too busy to blog

Haha this.

c.d.embrey wrote:
If it is furniture, ross attix has giver you good info. BTW customers don't buy bokeh. Shoot at f/11-f/16 so that they can see what you are selling. Don't worry about diffraction, pixel peepers don't buy antiques

4'x'8 V flats are great for shooting furniture. Flag edge/top surfaces that wash out from direct reflection. Correct perspective. Profit.

Dec 21, 2016 at 03:41 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Product Photography Blogs

OP didn't mention furniture—and has gone AWOL—but since we're talking about it, I'm going to try a larger-scale item in my studio, and intend to use my handy white wall for the big bounce. I'll employ subtractive lighting on the same scale by arranging my black fabric backdrop of 9'x20' around the subject. I don't find painting with light to be remotely acceptable, firstly because it's continuous light and, secondly, because I want a repeatable lighting scheme. Static items do lend themselves to compositing, and I composite all the time. This allows a single light to be greatly enlarged with multiple bounces and for different lighting directions (accent, rim, backlight) to be introduced into the final image.

Dec 21, 2016 at 04:52 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Product Photography Blogs

rico wrote:
OP didn't mention furniture—and has gone AWOL—but since we're talking about it, I'm going to try a larger-scale item in my studio, and intend to use my handy white wall for the big bounce. I'll employ subtractive lighting on the same scale by arranging my black fabric backdrop of 9'x20' around the subject. I don't find painting with light to be remotely acceptable, firstly because it's continuous light and, secondly, because I want a repeatable lighting scheme. Static items do lend themselves to compositing, and I composite all the time. This allows a single light to be greatly enlarged with
...Show more

Yes, I've done this. It was difficult in my small studio but I got good results.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:40 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password