Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · OOF shooting through window ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OOF shooting through window ...

Okay, so you're thinking that's a "no brainer" ...

Here's the thing.

I'm shooting through the window (which I mean shooting through the glass in the window) and I'm getting AF focus just fine, but I figure I can open the window and get a couple snaps without the extra glass in the way.

So, I open the window (crank the glass out of the way) and have a clear shot to my subject, but now I can't get focus to really lock on (doesn't seem like it is responding) and I get a rather soft oof image.

I rinse & repeat this action about 4 or 5 times. Each time, I get sharper focus (AF only at this point) while shooting through the window (glass) than with the window open. Shooting subject inside the house, all AF is good there too.

The rig:

80D
100-400 II
1.4X

The environment:

70 F in the house
5 F outside

The best I can come up with is that somehow "thernal layering" is mucking things up ... or that the dual pixel is being effected (grasping at theoretical straws) by it.

I'm baffled on this one.

Any thoughts?

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:07 AM
wcj0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OOF shooting through window ...

I had the same problem shooting through a glass sliding door in the winter time. Shooting through the glass, no problem. Opened up the door and got soft images until i took my rig past the door about 3 feet and then no issues. Happens all the time and i assume it has something to do with the difference in temperature from the outside cold air and the inside warm air that's escaping through the opening of the door. I was shooting with a 1Dx+ EF600 vII. on a tripod with gimbal head.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OOF shooting through window ...

Yes. There is a lot of air turbulence when you're shooting through an open window, from inside a warm place, to outside in a cold place. It can significantly reduce the "seeing" aspect of looking through air (as opposed to transparency), and is the phenomenon that makes stars twinkle when you view them on a very clear night (high transparency), but with significant air movement and/or turbulence (low seeing).

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:14 AM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OOF shooting through window ...

You are loosing a lot of heat out that open window that may be the problem

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:20 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OOF shooting through window ...

I get the same thing. I'm convinced it's a similar situation I get when trying to shoot through heat waves on a turf field in the middle of summer.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:26 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OOF shooting through window ...

timgangloff wrote:
I get the same thing. I'm convinced it's a similar situation I get when trying to shoot through heat waves on a turf field in the middle of summer.

That's kinda what I was thinking

Good to know I'm not totally crazy on this one.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:46 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OOF shooting through window ...

wcj0 wrote:
I had the same problem shooting through a glass sliding door in the winter time. Shooting through the glass, no problem. Opened up the door and got soft images

Yup, that's the issue.

until i took my rig past the door about 3 feet and then no issues. Happens all the time and i assume it has something to do with the difference in temperature from the outside cold air and the inside warm air that's escaping through the opening of the door. I was shooting with a 1Dx+ EF600 vII. on a tripod with gimbal head.

Gotcha @ turbulence created by the temperature differential moving from greater concentration to lesser concentration.

Thanks.

"Likes" for everyone ... thanks.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:49 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OOF shooting through window ...

Atmospheric effects are probably the result of 75% of complaints we read on here about AF problems, soft image problems etc. The through the door or through the car window is just one small subset of such things.

Recently in -30C weather I found shooting from the ground up at a bird on a tree, resulted in soft images no matter what until I got really close. Not sure what the physics are with that situation but I know its not my gear and I know it has to do with atmosphere or temperature.

I've had entire days ruined with differences in water/air and ground/air. Shooting out of a car or out of a window only works if temps are similar. With a car you can get this fixed with some time of window open, engine off but at home you really can't change that. Certain times of year are obviously worse for this. One other situation is getting out of a car and shooting across the hood as there are large disturbances there until the engine cools.

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:22 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OOF shooting through window ...

Arash talks about this in his article here:

http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/focus-micro-adjustment-is-it-always-needed/

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:25 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OOF shooting through window ...

That is why shooting with a car window rolled down when it is freezing outdoors is not a good idea either. I have shot through thick dirty zoo glass and got crisp images.

Dec 20, 2016 at 05:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OOF shooting through window ...

arbitrage wrote:
Atmospheric effects are probably the result of 75% of complaints we read on here about AF problems, soft image problems etc.

Regarding atmospheric effects on "regular days" ... at what distance range(s) would you say are relatively safe from such effects vs. maybe vs. most likely?

Safe Zone (i.e. if it's soft, it's you or your lens)

Moderate Zone (could go either way)

Probably Zone (plan on it being a bit softer)

I'm talking mostly about shooting with long glass and still expecting excellent detail vs. where detail starts to fade vs. you're really asking too much if you think you're gonna get excellent detail.

Poll to follow.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:10 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.