New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Antarctica Suggestions?

Sagar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Antarctica Suggestions?

Visiting Antarctica is my most dreamed item from the bucket list. I am finally thinking of visiting it sometime in 2017/2018

Looking for some suggestions on what best way/tours and time to visit the continent.

Dec 17, 2016 at 04:11 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Antarctica Suggestions?

We went with Ponant to the Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica and had a great time. As you probably know the trips aren't cheap but seeing all three of these areas is highly recommended (by me!). They had naturalists on board, we used zodiacs at each location, food was great and the ship was truly first class and more luxurious than I expected. They're a French company, I found them because A&K had a trip using a Ponant ship and I found I could save quite a bit by going direct to Ponant.

There are only trips offered in their summer (December to February) by any of the companies afaik.

Dec 20, 2016 at 01:05 AM
Older Fossil
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Antarctica Suggestions?

We went in 2013 with Lindblad/National Geographic. We like their tours, but they are likely somewhat more expensive. There are smaller, more photography oriented tours. The vast majority of the tours visit the same set of locations in the Falklands, South Georgia Island, and the Antarctic peninnsula. The tour operators are actually in close communication and are tightly scheduled to make it seem like your ship is the only one in the area. As condition call for itinerary changes, the operators will "trade" visitation slots. Early in the season nesting areas are cleaner with less guano, but no chicks. Later in the season, the setting and smell is not as nice but you will see chicks. If possible, go with a small group. The rules followed by the operators only allow something like 100 visitors on shore at a time. For photography, I HIGHLY recommend including a tour that includes South Georgia Island. If you are sailing out of Ushuaia and flying down by charter, find out what your checked and carry-on luggage restrictions will be.

I blogged about our trip, starting at:
http://arts-work.blogspot.com/2013/11/antarctic-adventure-days-1-2.html

Art

Dec 21, 2016 at 02:54 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.