New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

La Habana

OregonSun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · La Habana

These are from a couple different street sessions in Habana Vieja and Centro Habana around Thanksgiving. All shot on TMax 400 with Pentax 67 55mm (majority), 90mm and 165mm. For some reason it felt more comfortable shooting street with this beast than it did with my 7D mkii. I even had some Cubans recognize the camera and comment on it to me. Feedback always welcome.

Heron

Edited on Dec 17, 2016 at 03:50 AM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2016 at 03:19 AM
OregonSun
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · La Habana

Dec 17, 2016 at 03:20 AM
OregonSun
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · La Habana

Dec 17, 2016 at 03:22 AM
OregonSun
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · La Habana

Edited on Dec 17, 2016 at 03:29 AM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2016 at 03:23 AM
OregonSun
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · La Habana

Dec 17, 2016 at 03:26 AM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · La Habana

a nice series.
we were there last year; it does not look like anything has changed - that is partially good and partially bad. nice people and great street scenes to shoot.
regards, tom

Dec 17, 2016 at 03:56 AM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · La Habana

Terrific set! Well captured. Except for the clothes styles and deterioration of the buildings, these could be from the '50's.
Douglas

Dec 17, 2016 at 03:17 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · La Habana

I'm enjoying these very much. I'm headed to Cuba next month, thanks for the excellent preview.
It's refreshing not to see everyone staring at their phone screen.

Dec 17, 2016 at 09:13 PM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · La Habana

A wonderful collection of shots, all very interesting.

Cheers Ray

Dec 18, 2016 at 06:43 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · La Habana

Great documentary...interesting, for the most part, the absence of plastic and windblown debris of most US cities. Perhaps that correlates to consumerism and the Cuban retail economy?

Bob

Dec 18, 2016 at 03:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

OregonSun
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · La Habana

tomandmarj wrote:
a nice series.
we were there last year; it does not look like anything has changed - that is partially good and partially bad. nice people and great street scenes to shoot.
regards, tom

Hi Tom, I also visited in January of this year and noticed a few changes between then and this trip in November. More construction going on, more buildings with fresh paint (mostly in the tourist areas), lodging and taxi prices have gone up for tourists, more tourists in general. A good friend from college is the AP Bureau Chief in Havana and he says that while the tourist economy is growing rapidly, there is little movement from the government in relinquishing control in other sectors. Everyone is waiting to see what Trump will do, and more importantly, what will happen when Raul steps down in 2018.
---------------------------------------------

douter wrote:
Terrific set! Well captured. Except for the clothes styles and deterioration of the buildings, these could be from the '50's.
Douglas

Thanks Douglas, in some ways Cuba is definitely frozen in time.

cwebster wrote:
I'm enjoying these very much. I'm headed to Cuba next month, thanks for the excellent preview.
It's refreshing not to see everyone staring at their phone screen.

Thank you. I hope you have a great trip. The only reason people aren't staring at their phones is the lack of a reliable data network. At public wi-fi spots there is always a crowd of Cubans milling around on their smart phones.

Dougo wrote:
A wonderful collection of shots, all very interesting.

Cheers Ray

Thanks Ray

Bob Jarman wrote:
Great documentary...interesting, for the most part, the absence of plastic and windblown debris of most US cities. Perhaps that correlates to consumerism and the Cuban retail economy?

Bob

Thanks Bob,. The severe shortage of consumer goods in Cuba (caused almost completely by the failed economy, not the embargo) definitely contributes to the lack of plastic and trash in Havana.

Heron

Dec 20, 2016 at 04:09 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · La Habana

All fine graphic images - the people, police presence, buildings lost in time - all artifacts from a time gone by.

Dec 20, 2016 at 05:47 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · La Habana

thanks for the tour...potentially a preview
BW seems right for the series but I am sure there are color variations of interest as well

faded glory

Scott

Dec 20, 2016 at 07:11 PM
peacefrog33756
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · La Habana

An excellent set; well done!

Dec 21, 2016 at 02:13 PM
OregonSun
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · La Habana

Rick Joyce wrote:
All fine graphic images - the people, police presence, buildings lost in time - all artifacts from a time gone by.

Thank you Rick, the frozen in time feel of Cuba is unique and very interesting to experience.

sbeme wrote:
thanks for the tour...potentially a preview
BW seems right for the series but I am sure there are color variations of interest as well

faded glory

Scott

Your welcome Scott, hope you get to make it down there, excellent street shooting opportunities. It's not my usual discipline but it was fun to try my hand at it. There is definitely a lot of vibrant color to capture in Havana (and the rest of Cuba). I don't shoot color negatives (just chromes) due to the hassle of getting colors right with my DSLR and macro lens digitizing process, so my handheld film work is mostly limited to B&W where there are plenty of good 400 ISO options. I did shoot some digital street stuff, but oddly enough the big Pentax 67 feels more natural as a street camera to me.

peacefrog33756 wrote:
An excellent set; well done!

Thank you!

Dec 21, 2016 at 03:47 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · La Habana

Nice imaging, Heron.

I just returned from 12 days in Havana and Trinidad. I was on all those streets. Fortunately for us there is still a good amount of 'real' Cuba left. Hotels and good restaurants are spendy now, but there are plenty of affordable options still. As of a couple of weeks ago, some airlines are flying directly from NY and LA (etc) to Havana.

Dec 26, 2016 at 04:58 PM
OregonSun
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · La Habana

Jeffrey wrote:
Nice imaging, Heron.

I just returned from 12 days in Havana and Trinidad. I was on all those streets. Fortunately for us there is still a good amount of 'real' Cuba left. Hotels and good restaurants are spendy now, but there are plenty of affordable options still. As of a couple of weeks ago, some airlines are flying directly from NY and LA (etc) to Havana.

Thanks Jeffrey. Yeah, the increase in tourism is largely only visible in a few areas in the most popular destinations. Still plenty of places that are mostly unaffected. This will continue to be the case until the government allows the general economy to grow. There will always be something special about Cuba, even when it is no longer 'frozen in time'.

Heron

Dec 27, 2016 at 04:23 AM
skirk
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · La Habana

Great choice using the Pentax 67. Images were amazing. It's like stepping back in time looking at the street scenes. Thanks for sharing.

Feb 12, 2017 at 05:20 AM
droaingsong

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · La Habana

Amazing shots.

Feb 12, 2017 at 03:39 PM
Stephaniespix
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · La Habana

I really enjoyed these images, now I want to visit there, thanks for sharing

Feb 12, 2017 at 05:13 PM