New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Hard drive storage in cold environment

leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hard drive storage in cold environment

I have my backups stored at either ends of my house so I've got to be having a very bad day before I lose them all.

I've got a lot of data, so cloud storage will take me a lifetime. Leaving with a neighbour may not be a practical solution.

So, as well as the different parts of the house, I'm thinking a couple of mini drives, (not HDD), in a small Peli case in the greenhouse.

Concerns are to cold / heat / damp - despite the excellent sealing qualities of the Pelicase.

Thoughts from anyone?

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:18 PM
dmcphoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hard drive storage in cold environment

If the case is well sealed dampness shouldn't matter. Temperature in the range that humans can endure for long periods shouldn't matter either. OTOH due to the physics involved solid state storage is not a great archival medium. I also would not be comfortable keeping all of my data at a single address because very bad days (robbery, fire, flood, etc) do happen. More copies in different locations at one address helps, but not as much as having just two copies at a more remote location. Mine are 25 miles away at my office. Storing a pair of backups remotely and using them in an alternating fashion greatly minimizes the chances that any disaster can befall all three sets of data. Since all of the copies are never simultaneously connected to a computer, viruses and hardware malfunctions cannot wipe out everything. Physical separation prevents robbery, fire and the like from destroying everything. If friends, family, neighbors aren't practical I'd rent a safe deposit box.

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hard drive storage in cold environment

My Ultrastar He drives are rated -40 to 70C storage.

EBH

Dec 17, 2016 at 06:38 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hard drive storage in cold environment

My offsite backup is a set of mirrored hard drives in a Synology enclosure which I leave at my neighbor's house. Your greenhouse if not attached to the house is not a bad location and with hard drives they are most easily damaged by electrostatic shock or my magnets so actually a metal case with foam padding is the safest place to have them. In this respect a safety deposit box at a bank (situated on high ground) is about as good as you can get.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:39 PM
dnuggett

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hard drive storage in cold environment

What about a few high TB drives that you back up to weekly or monthly and leave at a safety deposit box at a bank? That's about the safest place it could be. Won't ever be "hacked" either.

Dec 24, 2016 at 07:14 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password