New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Christmas time...

wallenjs
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Christmas time...

I've had the privilege to photograph our church's Bethlehem Walk celebration for the last few years. I shoot mostly with Nikon gear but this year I mixed in some time with my Fuji XT-2.

Dec 16, 2016 at 01:17 PM
01Ryan10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Christmas time...

Overall the picture looks exposed well...perhaps 1/3 under exposed, but that's nitpicky.

A couple of things that I would say that you may and may not of had control over...

1. There are too many wrinkles in the clothing
2. I assume this pic is emulating Marry and Jesus. With that said, I don't see Marry looking at a "camera" and smiling. I think she should be looking down at the baby with a more enduring/tender look, but not necessarily smiling.

Dec 16, 2016 at 03:21 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Christmas time...

I like the exposure and composition. I would have used a slightly warmer tone.

I agree with Ryan about the "too many wrinkles" in the blue head-dress.

I disagree with Ryan on the idea that Mary never smiled or looked at people. I really like the way she's smiling and looking at as ... it's as if she's inviting us to share her joy.

Dec 16, 2016 at 06:49 PM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Christmas time...

Andre Labonte wrote:
I disagree with Ryan on the idea that Mary never smiled or looked at people.

lol...i never said that.

I'm sure she smiled all the time at people. I am speaking from the perspective of the camera. I see this as a candid photo capturing "Mary" in a private moment. With that said, why would she be looking at a camera and smiling?

I guess you can make the case that the camera is Joseph, a Magi, or someone else. I just didn't see it that way.

Dec 16, 2016 at 07:00 PM
wallenjs
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Christmas time...

Thanks for looking and commenting.

This was part of a heavily trafficked outdoor nativity scene so I really didn't really have any control over lighting, costume, posing, etc.

I figured the mother would like a photo so she could remember the moment.

I will pass along to the costume people that they might want to hit the headscarves with an iron

Hope you guys enjoy the holidays!

Dec 16, 2016 at 08:10 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Christmas time...

01Ryan10 wrote:
lol...i never said that.

I'm sure she smiled all the time at people. I am speaking from the perspective of the camera. I see this as a candid photo capturing "Mary" in a private moment. With that said, why would she be looking at a camera and smiling?

I guess you can make the case that the camera is Joseph, a Magi, or someone else. I just didn't see it that way.

I see ... I was looking at it as the camera capturing what someone sees with their own eyes.

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:04 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Christmas time...

wallenjs wrote:
Thanks for looking and commenting.

This was part of a heavily trafficked outdoor nativity scene so I really didn't really have any control over lighting, costume, posing, etc.

I figured the mother would like a photo so she could remember the moment.

I will pass along to the costume people that they might want to hit the headscarves with an iron

Hope you guys enjoy the holidays!

I think the lighting is fine and you did a good job with the exposure. You could warm up the image slightly in post.

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:04 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Christmas time...

Ya know, back in the day, I'm pretty sure the class that Mary came from did not iron their clothes. It might have been coarser than the material used here and therefore would possibly have fewer wrinkles, but aesthetics aside, I think this is a reasonable rendition of what the shepherds might have seen, except for the lip gloss and nail polish....it is at any rate a pleasing picture as representative of the event.
Douglas

Dec 17, 2016 at 09:57 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.