New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Should I switch?

J.Andrew

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Should I switch?

Hi! I am sure this has been a debate in the past. But now that the XT-2 has been out for a little while and I would like some feedback on the system. I am a long time Canon user but have come to a cross roads. I am either going to get the XT-2 or the 5DMarkIV. Now is the time to switch in my opinion if I am going to. The only thing holding me back is the unknowns. I would like feedback from those that have switched. I have invested in all new flashes (the flashpoint versions) for Canon this year. I have also invested in Interfit S1's with Canon Remotes. I am just figuring how I will fire them with no remotes for Fuji? Single pin may still work I assume in manual? How is battery life? I know the lens selection is perfect. Image quality is excellent. Basically, what I need is someone that has switched, to tell me the real life experience with he switch. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-Jay

Dec 15, 2016 at 02:56 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Should I switch?

If you are this unsure and have all the Canon gear - WHY are you considering a switch in brands?
What isn't the Canon gear giving you that you think Fuji gear will?

Dec 15, 2016 at 02:59 PM
austinschutz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Should I switch?

What is it that is drawing you to Fuji? I think answering that question could get you some good feedback on whether or not the benefits you are anticipating are worth it.

Dec 15, 2016 at 03:01 PM
J.Andrew

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Should I switch?

The canon gear has served me well. I am interested in the EVF and the ability to see what the lens sees in real time. I am also interested in the smaller, lighter system.

Dec 15, 2016 at 03:09 PM
J.Andrew

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Should I switch?

Daniel Smith wrote:
If you are this unsure and have all the Canon gear - WHY are you considering a switch in brands?
What isn't the Canon gear giving you that you think Fuji gear will?

Daniel,

To be perfectly honest. I am considering it for something new to spur creativity. I also like Fuji's business model. They seem to care about details and updates etc...I just like where they are going in general. I also started my career shooting the Fuji medium format film system and kinda nostalgic

-Jay

Dec 15, 2016 at 03:27 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Should I switch?

J.Andrew wrote:
Hi! I am sure this has been a debate in the past. But now that the XT-2 has been out for a little while and I would like some feedback on the system. I am a long time Canon user but have come to a cross roads. I am either going to get the XT-2 or the 5DMarkIV. Now is the time to switch in my opinion if I am going to. The only thing holding me back is the unknowns. I would like feedback from those that have switched. I have invested in all new flashes (the flashpoint versions)
...Show more

I did not switch. I augmented.

For me, each of the two options has its pluses and minuses and each is better/worse at certain things I do. If you are not certain — and you probably should not be as this is a pretty big commitment — I urge you to go slow rather than making wholesale changes. For example, pick up a XE2 or XE2s or one of the excellent current deals on the XT1. Put the fine 18-55mm "kit" lens (which is much bette than typical kit lenses) on the camera and photograph with it.

The Canon DSLR system will AF faster than the Fujifilm and the potential image quality is somewhat better, both due to the number of photo sites on the sensor and the size of the sensor. Your Canon system has available and mature electronic flash support. On the downside, the Canon system is larger.

The Fujifilm system is very small and light. No 24MP cropped sensor system is going to equal, much less surpass, a 30MP full frame system, but the image quality from the Fujifilm system is very good. The Fujifilm system is very good if you value small size and low weight, and especially so if you prefer to photograph with small primes, of which Fujifilm makes many very good ones. AF performance is good enough for many things.

Dan

Dec 15, 2016 at 03:34 PM
voltaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Should I switch?

I used the Canon 600EX RT with Pocket Wizard Pluses on the Fuji XT2 the other night and they are intermittent. Sometimes it would flash and sometimes it won't. Not sure if it is lack for practice or user error but got quite frustrated. I ended up reverting to the 5D3 with the 600EX RTs. Seamless.

I still maintain two systems although I was very pleased with Fuji during my recent overseas trip. However, these were all available light and street style photography. Not sure if the new Fuji 500 flash is up to par. Some folks here might know.

I have used Fuji for tthe past 18 months. The Canon system has seen very low use ever since I got my hands on Fuji.

Dec 15, 2016 at 03:40 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Should I switch?

J.Andrew wrote:
Hi! I am sure this has been a debate in the past. But now that the XT-2 has been out for a little while and I would like some feedback on the system. I am a long time Canon user but have come to a cross roads. I am either going to get the XT-2 or the 5DMarkIV. Now is the time to switch in my opinion if I am going to. The only thing holding me back is the unknowns. I would like feedback from those that have switched. I have invested in all new flashes (the flashpoint versions)
...Show more

Just do it! You know you want to. I switched from Nikon full frame and haven't looked back.

Dec 15, 2016 at 03:50 PM
J.Andrew

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Should I switch?

gdanmitchell wrote:
I did not switch. I augmented.

For me, each of the two options has its pluses and minuses and each is better/worse at certain things I do. If you are not certain — and you probably should not be as this is a pretty big commitment — I urge you to go slow rather than making wholesale changes. For example, pick up a XE2 or XE2s or one of the excellent current deals on the XT1. Put the fine 18-55mm "kit" lens (which is much bette than typical kit lenses) on the camera and photograph with it.

The Canon DSLR system will
...Show more

Thanks Dan. I like the idea of augmenting. I will pick up the XT-2 once they are back in stock. I won't dump my current system but hold off on buying the MarkIV for now and see how the Fuji does. I was set on going all in on getting the X-system but you made valid points that got me thinking.

-Jay

Dec 15, 2016 at 03:52 PM
J.Andrew

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Should I switch?

leighton w wrote:
Just do it! You know you want to. I switched from Nikon full frame and haven't looked back.

! I do want too! What have you been using in terms of flash?

Dec 15, 2016 at 03:55 PM
Squinty
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Should I switch?

I switched - from Canon 5DIII to Nikon D810 to Fuji X-T1. I'm a designer who shoots maybe a dozen paid jobs a year (three in the last week - fashion, a pathology lab and the work of a glass artist). No sports or fast action, no wildlife. No regrets.

Flash. I only tend to use it for interiors. I use Yongnuo 'speedlights' and various diffusers, with a manual controller on the camera, to control up to three groups (I think you can have several units in each group) - it's basic, but I like it... I don't like the number of batteries they eat, so I'm looking at continuous lighting.

I use a 56mm f1.2 for a lot more than I thought I would before I bought it. I also use the excellent 18-55 and 14mm for landscapes (and the latter for interiors and architecture) - both lenses have the same filter thread, for polarisers and NDs (58mm) and the relatively inexpensive Hitech 85 filter system covers both lenses.

I just bought a 23mm f2 as a walkabout 'personal' lens.

I really have no need for it, but I know I'll buy an X-T2 anyway, just as soon as Fuji refurbs hit the market.

Hope that helps.

Edited on Dec 15, 2016 at 04:39 PM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2016 at 04:32 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Should I switch?

J.Andrew wrote:
! I do want too! What have you been using in terms of flash?

I don't use flash, so I would be of no help to you there. I do however think that a lot of folks use those flashes from China. Not sure which one.

Dec 15, 2016 at 04:36 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Should I switch?

I think Dan has given you the best advice. I also maintain two systems, Canon and Fuji. I use them for different purposes. Sports and action? Canon. Studio work? Canon. Live performances, other than dance? Fuji, all the way. Travel or street? Fuji, no question. I do a lot of international concert work in low light with much traveling involved. I switched from Canon to Fuji for this reason and wouldn't go back. But I still use my Canon gear maybe 50% of the time. No need for a one-brand-only commitment.

Dec 15, 2016 at 05:24 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Should I switch?

The Fuji XT2 system is superb, and like yourself I love the Fuji philosophy and direction. I am really looking forward the the GFX

That said I would keep your Canon FF system for now as there is a place for both. By having both, you have the best of both systems. You have small/light easy to go Fuji system with EVF and your FF Canon OVF/DSLR with a mature flash system that works seamlessly.

My recent personal experience had been just using the A7 system when it was first introduced. Superb sensor and IQ, and some great lenses, but I did not connect with the A7rII with the feel and ergonomics. Sometimes it is not about the objective specs on paper.

My case I have the D750/D810 as my FF, and the XT2 as my light/easy to go system. In your case having both Fuji and Canon often is better than the sum of each part system.

Dec 15, 2016 at 05:27 PM
J.Andrew

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Should I switch?

Squinty wrote:
I switched - from Canon 5DIII to Nikon D810 to Fuji X-T1. I'm a designer who shoots maybe a dozen paid jobs a year (three in the last week - fashion, a pathology lab and the work of a glass artist). No sports or fast action, no wildlife. No regrets.

Flash. I only tend to use it for interiors. I use Yongnuo 'speedlights' and various diffusers, with a manual controller on the camera, to control up to three groups (I think you can have several units in each group) - it's basic, but I like it... I don't like the
...Show more
Thanks Squinty! I saw a review on the 23 which looks good!

Dec 15, 2016 at 06:13 PM
J.Andrew

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Should I switch?

Steve Wylie wrote:
I think Dan has given you the best advice. I also maintain two systems, Canon and Fuji. I use them for different purposes. Sports and action? Canon. Studio work? Canon. Live performances, other than dance? Fuji, all the way. Travel or street? Fuji, no question. I do a lot of international concert work in low light with much traveling involved. I switched from Canon to Fuji for this reason and wouldn't go back. But I still use my Canon gear maybe 50% of the time. No need for a one-brand-only commitment.

Hi Steve! I think I am leaning towards maintaining two systems. Sounds like the best way!

Dec 15, 2016 at 06:16 PM
J.Andrew

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Should I switch?

charles.K wrote:
The Fuji XT2 system is superb, and like yourself I love the Fuji philosophy and direction. I am really looking forward the the GFX

That said I would keep your Canon FF system for now as there is a place for both. By having both, you have the best of both systems. You have small/light easy to go Fuji system with EVF and your FF Canon OVF/DSLR with a mature flash system that works seamlessly.

My recent personal experience had been just using the A7 system when it was first introduced. Superb sensor and IQ, and some great lenses, but I
...Show more
Thanks Charles! Looks like I am going to maintain two systems. I have enough work to justify it. That's the story I'll tell my wife!

Dec 15, 2016 at 06:19 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Should I switch?

Seems like you are do studio work with all your talk about flashes and firing them remotely etc... This is not a strong area for Fuji and I would definitely keep your Canon system until you truly try out the Fuji system. Many people hate the EVF so if that is your draw...I would definitely rent out a Fuji system for a week to give it a try. You just might not enjoy the experience and quickly go and get yourself a 5DIV. If you look on the B&S board you'll see many brand new mirrorless cameras from all manufactures for sale because the photog just found mirrorless and the EVF awkward.

My suggestion is to either buy used and try it out or better yet, rent it out for a week before deciding. Don't know if you have the funds to drive two systems...can get quite costly...I know.

Dec 15, 2016 at 06:55 PM
brian_f2.8
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Should I switch?

SWITCH, Santa will bring you something nice next week.

In all seriousness, the Fuji system is moving in the right direction. They offer great quality for a very low cost. Too good to be true, I know right but it is. If you want a mental change, something to spur creativity and looking for a lighter system, then do it.

Financially, stick with Canon as you already own the lenses. Id suggest to rent an XT-2 and a lens and play with it before you decide to switch. What is your shooting style? Look at the files on the computer, are you happy?

Dec 15, 2016 at 08:46 PM
Squinty
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Should I switch?

When considering two systems, I'd say be realistic, be honest with yourself and take the advice you get here with a pinch of salt. Before I continue folks, this is not a criticism of forum members. ;-)

As a designer I commission a lot of photographers (those who make a full-time living from photography) and when I chat to them, I find that not a single one of them is a member of any of the online forums. Most of them could probably only name a few of their contemporaries. They know their Dorothea Lange's and Walker Evans's of course, but mention any of the Fuji photographers that we might be familiar with and you get a blank look.

I might get my head bitten off, but I'm guessing that most of us here are enthusiasts-cum- semi-professionals at most - that's me too (and several of the 'well known' online 'photographers' have a different day job.). We've enough spare time and cash to indulge ourselves with professional equipment and are able to run both mirrorless and DSLR systems if we so choose. So when people advise that they NEED two systems, it's not always the case that their livelihoods depend on it, but that they need them for the types of photography that they enjoy, or that they haven't quite finished transitioning from one to another.

In a nutshell, if we knew what gear our livelihood depends on, we wouldn't be asking questions on an internet forum. I reiterate that I include myself - as a 12 paid jobs a year man - in this critique!

If anyone here can prove me wrong and show me their excellent websites I'll happily eat humble pie. But full-time working photographers are out there earning a crust - and in their spare time they switch off and go and watch football or baseball, they don't spend their evenings chatting about the day job on social media.

Of course, there are pros who use social media, but on the whole they 'belong' to the 'official' forums as part of the deal they have with the manufacturers. Plus, they use their own blogging sites to raise their personal profiles, all of which makes good business sense.

So, this little rant is not meant to criticise, or diminish the excellent and expert advice on offer around here, but to put it into context.

Dec 16, 2016 at 05:52 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.