Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC, particularly for still photography on Nikon? Not much out there in the world for this somewhat odd-ball standard prime, but just curious if anyone here has it or has shot it. Images maybe?

On paper it looks rather rad. VC with a wide aperture, not huge, slightly wider standard prime, and impressive MFD.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:26 AM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

I have ordered one, should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think. I bought it solve a problem that doesn't really exist. I'm a fan of 50mm in general but I'm not really ecstatic with any of the Nikon 50's.

Dec 15, 2016 at 03:24 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

InlawBiker wrote:
I have ordered one, should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think. I bought it solve a problem that doesn't really exist. I'm a fan of 50mm in general but I'm not really ecstatic with any of the Nikon 50's.

That seems reasonable. Look forward to hearing about your experience..

Dec 15, 2016 at 04:32 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

They're sharp lenses, and the build quality and stabilization is nice, as reviewed on Canon.

Complaints include longitudinal CA, size/heft, and on Canon, inexplicable focus misses, which will hopefully not be a problem for Nikon shooters.

(they do also cooperate with Canon's DPAF continuous video focus technology, which Nikon looks to be introducing a form of by the appearance of stepper motors in their own lenses)

Dec 16, 2016 at 05:37 AM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

I got the lens today, plugged it into the D600 and walked around the house before dinner tonight. so far it's met expectations.

I handled the Tamron 35mm 1.8 VC in the store when I was 35mm shopping last Summer, and this lens has the same construction. Meaning, it's very very well made and solid. It's a pretty big lens. Not as big as the Sigma 50 but anyway bigger than any other 50 I've owned. Doesn't seem out of balance on a D600 though.

Without any adjustment whatsoever it might be in focus sync. Gotta test it out. The focus speed is noticeably unfast. First time I used it I thought aloud, "yah, this thing is not very fast." I didn't use the word "slow" because it's a bit faster than slow. Just not fast.

Min focus distance is very very close! I would call this lens a Macro if I worked in marketing at Tamron.

VC is good like every other Tamron lens, they seem to have this stuff nailed. This ornament was shot with the front lens element maybe 4 inches away. Probably could not have got away with f8 without the VC here.

_DSC6814

The horse was shot at 1/5 second, cropped and put thru View NX-i. Couldn't have got this with the 50 1.8G. Sorry for the crude tests. I'll keep on using this thing and share thoughts.

DSC_6799

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:06 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

Here's a size comparison. I had the tripod out anyway to fine tune the 45 and it didn't need any adjustment. May get rid of the 1.8G but will always keep the 50 AF-D as an emergency pocket lens

DSC_6826_02

Dec 17, 2016 at 09:00 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

Alright I know I'm the only one using this lens but looking for help on testing a lens in general.

I used it through the Christmas weekend taking family shots. There seems to be a problem with this lens in that practically none of the shots are in focus. It's really odd, because typically you can see a front or back focus evident where at least something is sharp. In this case nothing is sharp anywhere.

I had it set usually f/2.8 - f/5.6, minimum shutter speed at at least 1/100 and Auto ISO. There should be no motion blur and indeed, the other lenses did just fine. I put maybe 200 shots through it so, enough to see a trend.

I'm thinking I should've turned off VC but usually I leave any type of VR/OIS on by default without any problems. As you can see in the horse sample above, it's capable of being sharp. I bought it refurbished with a 90 day warranty so I have time to get it right.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:34 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

First things to try would be to tripod it and shoot with VC off. Then shoot live view mode to rule out an issue between the AF sensor and lens. How was the lighting? Did the camera struggle to focus any other lenses? Could you hear/feel the VC activating?

InlawBiker wrote:
Alright I know I'm the only one using this lens but looking for help on testing a lens in general.

I used it through the Christmas weekend taking family shots. There seems to be a problem with this lens in that practically none of the shots are in focus. It's really odd, because typically you can see a front or back focus evident where at least something is sharp. In this case nothing is sharp anywhere.

I had it set usually f/2.8 - f/5.6, minimum shutter speed at at least 1/100 and Auto ISO. There should be no motion blur and indeed,
...Show more

Dec 28, 2016 at 08:53 AM
jseffel

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

I had the same problem with the 35. Sent it in for service twice to no avail. Worked perfectly with VC off. I returned it.

InlawBiker wrote:

I had it set usually f/2.8 - f/5.6, minimum shutter speed at at least 1/100 and Auto ISO. There should be no motion blur and indeed,
...Show more

Dec 28, 2016 at 09:07 AM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

OK thanks jseffel. I initiated a return, don't want to spend any more time on this lens after it's already wrecked my Christmas. I will go back to my old 50's I guess ;-)

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:59 AM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

InlawBiker wrote:

...Show more

I think some reviews at the big camera stores mentioned you have to keep VC off unless you are at the shutter speeds that really need it.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:13 PM
jseffel

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

For those interested I created a thread on dpreview a while ago: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4065046

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:24 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does anyone shoot the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC?

Yeah, your thread is describing what I'm seeing. It's a shame, I wanted to like this lens. I think a good copy could've been a "go to" for me.

Dec 28, 2016 at 01:01 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.