Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Masking (for complex photos)

pjheller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Masking (for complex photos)

I have several dozen photos that I need to mask . . . putting in a white background. The photos include anywhere from two people to a larger group of people. I've tried various options in CS6 (magic wand, quick selection etc) as well as some third party solutions, but nothing seems to work very well. They were shot against a somewhat gray background (not so much of a problem) although there are lots of little spaces that need to be masked; the bottom of the image (a stage area) is dark.

I had a trial done by a service bureau and it came out fine, but I'd like to try to do it myself.

Any suggestions on how to achieve results without hours of work??

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:51 AM
JoeMelzer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Masking (for complex photos)

I'd throw in Topaz Remask. Tried it years ago and almost bought it; but then again, I don't mask that often. I found it to be a great tool with decent results in very short time. They had a trial that time, so they might have now. I think, you will like it

Dec 15, 2016 at 06:56 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Masking (for complex photos)

It's possible to do very good masking in the Photoshop CC "Select and Mask" workspace, but some expertise in masking is needed. It's not a one click solution, but if you know (or learn) how to use it creating a mask is not "hours of work" either. It's worth watching a few videos about it first. The select and mask workspace is enhanced in CC 2017.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:25 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Masking (for complex photos)

I think you are going to be faced with some time behind the monitor. Do a search for channel masking if you don't have the latest version of CC PS. Topaz ReMask maybe able to help you minimize the learning curve as it uses essentially the same tools available in PS. I had a bunch of issues with ReMask 3 and artifacting but they may have fixed that now. There is a trial offer available.

Dec 15, 2016 at 02:16 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Masking (for complex photos)

If you post a sample of the type of image you're trying to knock out people here can be of greater help. There are so many options and combinations of tools that might be deployed to do the job that it's impossible to tell you the best way without seeing.

Dec 15, 2016 at 06:25 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.