New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Problem with buying and selling

Sxmuxl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Problem with buying and selling

As I am a new member I have no posts or feedback, this results in people not wanting to sell their gear to me. However if I can not buy gear and I have no gear to sell how am I supposed to build up enough of a "rep" for others to allow me to buy off of them?

Dec 15, 2016 at 03:42 AM
Fred Amico
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Problem with buying and selling

It is something of a catch-22. One thing you can do is participate in the forums often so folks can get to "know" you. Right now you have just the one post, so people will naturally be a little concerned about dealing with you.

Can you provide references? If you're looking to buy, do you have a major presence someplace else that a seller can look at; i.e., eBay, other forums, a web site? Can you give them your real name and some background info that would help determine your trustworthiness?

Not saying the above will solve everything for you, but it's a start. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Dec 15, 2016 at 05:00 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Problem with buying and selling

Yes this is a dilemma resulting from scams, thefts and whatever. Fred's suggestion is mine also. Be very forthcoming with communications if buying or selling. TALK to any b/s for "big ticket" items. Do your "homework" on equipment prices, conditions..Post photos of all sale items.

DO NOT USE PP GIFT!!!!!

And be involved in the forums.....DON'T BE DISCOURAGED. It is a sign of the times unfortunately here on B&S.
Welcome!
Dan

Dec 15, 2016 at 02:12 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Problem with buying and selling

Posting in forums over a period of time helps. Linking to your website or Flickr account is another plus. If you do sell something, don't start selling a high ticket item. Start small and build up postive feedback. If you have sold on ebay or elsewhere, make mention of this in your B&S add.

It's all about trust and you have to make the purchaser feel comfortable dealing with you.

Dec 15, 2016 at 05:58 PM
dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Problem with buying and selling

As already stated it's all about trust. Start by making a couple of small purchases, memory cards, filters things you can always use. Post feedback for the seller ask the seller to post feedback for you in a PM. In a month or two you will be on your way.

I'll also give a recent example that I experienced on how not to behave on FM. I was in discussions to purchase a used Canon 500 f4 IS from a member that had no feedback. I did some research by googling his name and found that he really did exist (matched his profile info) and he sent me a link to a website. I asked him for his PayPal address, he asked me for my zip code so he could calculate the shipping cost. An hour later I got a message from him that the lens was sold. My guess is someone came in and offered him more than his asking price. His history and reputation on FM will be short if he pulls this stunt very many times.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:43 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Problem with buying and selling

dhlewis: well, who is it whose history and reputation on FM will be short!. Your post provides absolutely no useful information to anyone to avoid the predicament you've described. Just sayin'

Dec 24, 2016 at 02:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Problem with buying and selling

anthonysemone wrote:
dhlewis: well, who is it whose history and reputation on FM will be short!. Your post provides absolutely no useful information to anyone to avoid the predicament you've described. Just sayin'

Well Anthony, technically he did not break the rules or do anything illegal. He never gave me his Paypal, but after he requested my Zip code I thought the purchase was going to go. My comment is based on the behavior of most of the many FM reputable members. I have over 60 transactions, never pulled a stunt like that and never had a problem with anyone I purchased from. I was hesitant going in and should have followed my gut, end of story.

The OP was asking how to get started on FM, which I gave him my opinion and then I stated an example of how not to behave on FM (based on my opinion).

If you really want to know you can search the B&S forum for 500 4.0L and there are not a lot of members to pick from who have no feedback.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:44 PM
PotchieR

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Problem with buying and selling

I've had a few transactions here where the seller never left me a feedback even when I asked them to. I always leave a feedback as soon as I get the item though. Now I provide my eBay ID with 100% positive feedback as a reference. Maybe some are still hesitant to sell to me though, no one has PMed me about a used D4s that I've been looking for.

Dec 25, 2016 at 11:50 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Problem with buying and selling

PotchieR wrote:
I've had a few transactions here where the seller never left me a feedback even when I asked them to. I always leave a feedback as soon as I get the item though. Now I provide my eBay ID with 100% positive feedback as a reference. Maybe some are still hesitant to sell to me though, no one has PMed me about a used D4s that I've been looking for.

Over the 12 years+ of B&S here I have had a few leave NO feedback despite no problems with the transactions. It is the nature of some people not to reciprocate.
That should not deter anyone here from B&S.

Have you initiated contact to any sellers about their D4? Do that. If the seller has great references, a contributing member..cross ship or even pay first... But always do your homework when extending your risk about what I mentioned.
Good Luck.
Dan

Dec 26, 2016 at 02:11 PM
Etherton
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Problem with buying and selling

PotchieR wrote:
I've had a few transactions here where the seller never left me a feedback even when I asked them to.

I'm about minus 6 or 7 positive feedback. Some people just don't have the time or don't care. It sucks, but it is what it is...

Dec 28, 2016 at 01:13 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Problem with buying and selling

Etherton wrote:
I'm about minus 6 or 7 positive feedback. Some people just don't have the time or don't care. It sucks, but it is what it is...

6 or 7? That's nothing. I'm short 14 just in this year . Like you said, some people don't care or follow through for whatever reason.

Dec 28, 2016 at 01:36 AM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Problem with buying and selling

Seems like this has become the way of the world. Related to this is the photos I send to family and selected friends. They all say they want them, but for the past couple of years have received not one, repeat, not one thank you or receipt acknowledgement for what I've sent.

Dec 28, 2016 at 03:14 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password