Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2016 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

I actually ordered these thinking they wouldn't work in the camera as I'd read way back when the D500 came out that it wasn't working with 3rd party batteries that people had for their other Nikon cameras.

So I ordered these ones to use in my aftermarket grip, hoping they would be okay in the grip.

As it turns out, so far they work perfectly fine in both the grip and in the camera either with the grip on or just in the camera with no grip.

These are the ones I ordered and they came with a nifty dual charger that uses USB.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01JG6QWUA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have others found 3rd party ones that work? Does anyone know how the 3rd party ones behaved back in the early D500 days? Did they not work at all or did they just die fast or what??

Dec 14, 2016 at 07:46 PM
kingmeow
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

Whoa! So for the price of less than ONE Nikon battery, you get two and a charger? And you say you can put both into the grip? SWEET!

Have you tried charging these on the Nikon charger or you have to use theirs?

THANKS for the link and the eye opener!!!

Dec 15, 2016 at 09:12 AM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

Good to know, I wish I bought there before my watson. They don't sell them without the charger, I already have quite a few of these.

Dec 15, 2016 at 09:43 AM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

I have watson and they don't work at all in my d500, either on the grip or on the camera. It says that the battery is empty even if it's fully charged

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:16 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

kingmeow wrote:
Whoa! So for the price of less than ONE Nikon battery, you get two and a charger? And you say you can put both into the grip? SWEET!

Have you tried charging these on the Nikon charger or you have to use theirs?

THANKS for the link and the eye opener!!!

Well the grip only holds 1 battery and the other in the camera. I find that a poor design as you are always unscrewing the grip. With my Canon grips, two go in the grip and none in the camera. I think there are other Nikon grips that work that way but not the more recent ones. But that is all besides the point.

I haven't tried mixing chargers yet. I will do and report back.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:30 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

rick2906 wrote:
I have watson and they don't work at all in my d500, either on the grip or on the camera. It says that the battery is empty even if it's fully charged

These ones read correctly from the battery status menu both in the grip and in camera.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:31 AM
kingmeow
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

Thank you! My D500 and the freebies are still sitting in the box. Yeah, priorities right Too busy during the holidays to take them out yet so I did not know that the grip only holds one.

But if both runs out, then could you just replace the one in the grip and keep on shooting? You can replace the body one when you get home to avoid the unscrewing of the grip on location?

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:36 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

arbitrage wrote:
Well the grip only holds 1 battery and the other in the camera. I find that a poor design as you are always unscrewing the grip. With my Canon grips, two go in the grip and none in the camera. I think there are other Nikon grips that work that way but not the more recent ones. But that is all besides the point.

I haven't tried mixing chargers yet. I will do and report back.

thank you for the 3rd party battery notice.

btw, all nikon grip can accommodate only 1 battery. so, any spare i carry will be for the grip. the battery in the camera is used as last resort (you can set this up in the menu). (i don't own a d500 but imagine the menu selection for battery/grip is no different then older camera body).

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM
Prapanpong
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

This what I'm looking for but want to know if anybody try with third party EN EL-18 to use with D810 or D500 battery grip like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281207590883

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:07 AM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

arbitrage wrote:
I actually ordered these thinking they wouldn't work in the camera as I'd read way back when the D500 came out that it wasn't working with 3rd party batteries that people had for their other Nikon cameras.

As it turns out, so far they work perfectly fine in both the grip and in the camera either with the grip on or just in the camera with no grip.

None of my aftermarket batteries are working. Thank you for the link to something that will.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:18 AM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

Prapanpong wrote:
This what I'm looking for but want to know if anybody try with third party EN EL-18 to use with D810 or D500 battery grip like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281207590883

I have been unsing these one on my D810, they work really good, lasting a long time and keeping there charge when not in use.

I can't say if they work with the D500 as I don't own the oem nikon grip , I have the meike. No aftermarket grip accept en-el 18.

http://www.dx.com/p/dste-en-el-3900mah-18a-full-coded-battery-pack-for-nikon-d800-d800e-mb-d12-grip-243888#.WFLDqWp74uU

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:26 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

tntcorp wrote:
thank you for the 3rd party battery notice.

btw, all nikon grip can accommodate only 1 battery. so, any spare i carry will be for the grip. the battery in the camera is used as last resort (you can set this up in the menu). (i don't own a d500 but imagine the menu selection for battery/grip is no different then older camera body).

Oh, I didn't know I could set it up. That would be good as usually I don't need 2 batteries for the time frame I'm out each day. That would greatly reduce the number of times I have to unscrew the grip as I've been having it drain both batteries in parallel.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:31 AM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

Yes, on the D500 , it is in the setup menu, fourth page

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

arbitrage wrote:
Oh, I didn't know I could set it up. That would be good as usually I don't need 2 batteries for the time frame I'm out each day. That would greatly reduce the number of times I have to unscrew the grip as I've been having it drain both batteries in parallel.

the setup menu will only dictate the priority of battery consumption, i.e. grip-battery 1st, then body-battery 2nd. you will still need to monitor the battery indicator and replace the grip-battery when it is drained. otherwise, if you don't replace the grip-battery, then the camera will start draining the body-battery.

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:38 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

tntcorp wrote:
the setup menu will only dictate the priority of battery consumption, i.e. grip-battery 1st, then body-battery 2nd. you will still need to monitor the battery indicator and replace the grip-battery when it is drained. otherwise, if you don't replace the grip-battery, then the camera will start draining the body-battery.

Yes, that is perfect. I rarely go through an entire battery and then recharge when I get home. Now I will just recharge the grip one unless I've started to eat into the internal ones charge. That will save me a lot of unscrewing/screwing the grip off and on.

Dec 15, 2016 at 05:42 PM
Prapanpong
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

Thanks. I will try at least it will work with my D810 grip.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:21 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

Many guys in the wedding forum are getting defects on lenses because of the use of 3rd party batteries.
The voltages are not as well controlled as the Nikon batteries, and IMO it's not worth the risk. If you had a D7000 series or a D600 series and cheap glass, go ahead. But when you are using 200 2.0's, 105's and many other high-quality pieces of glass with sensitive electronics, it's best to just go with reliability over cheapness.
Batteries are fairly cheap anyways. You only need 2 or 3 with 1 extra per used body.
Having quite a bit of experience with electronics, even slightly higher voltages than what the electronics are meant to run with can be very damaging!

Dec 17, 2016 at 03:44 AM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

I wouldn't take the chance either. The newer version 20 batteries have a good charge life and after spending $$$$ on the camera why cheap out on the least expensive accessory and risk damage to your gear. I recently shot the MLS Cup Final in sub freezing temperatures using the D500 (un-gripped) as the primary camera with long glass. I changed the battery at half time and shot well over 1000 frames with plenty of charge to spare in each half. For the cost of two or three batteries to cover long sessions with the camera I wouldn't risk it. If you don't shoot high volumes, two batteries would be plenty.
Just my $0.02

Dec 17, 2016 at 09:15 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

Spectro wrote:
I wouldn't take the chance either. The newer version 20 batteries have a good charge life and after spending $$$$ on the camera why cheap out on the least expensive accessory and risk damage to your gear. I recently shot the MLS Cup Final in sub freezing temperatures using the D500 (un-gripped) as the primary camera with long glass. I changed the battery at half time and shot well over 1000 frames with plenty of charge to spare in each half. For the cost of two or three batteries to cover long sessions with the camera I wouldn't risk it.
...Show more

I mostly bought it for the dual charger. I have two OEM 20 series already and I've never gone through them in one day. So the extra batteries are a last resort although I did test them for one day and all was fine for now. I only own the D500 and 200-500 as a stopover till Canon makes a better crop body.

I've used 3rd party batteries in my Canon bodies for ever and never had any issue. I use them with lenses costing over 10K....I'm not worried but I will just use the OEM most of the time anyways.

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:46 AM
kingmeow
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 3rd Party D500 batteries that work...

playerofwar wrote:
Many guys in the wedding forum are getting defects on lenses because of the use of 3rd party batteries.
The voltages are not as well controlled as the Nikon batteries, and IMO it's not worth the risk. If you had a D7000 series or a D600 series and cheap glass, go ahead. But when you are using 200 2.0's, 105's and many other high-quality pieces of glass with sensitive electronics, it's best to just go with reliability over cheapness.
Batteries are fairly cheap anyways. You only need 2 or 3 with 1 extra per used body.
Having quite a bit of experience with
...Show more

I'm not sure how much I believe that, not saying you are a liar or anything. Typical IC circuits run at 5V and the low power stuff at 3.3V, especially something with space is a premium like in a lens. The main battery is 7.0-7.4V so that means there's a voltage regulating circuitry somewhere in the body to reduce the voltage. So I don't see where higher voltage is allowed to get to the components in a lens, let alone the body.

Voltage regulation in sensitive electronics like a DSLR is very critical and I'm sure the manufacturing has designed some good voltage regulation circuitry.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:35 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.